Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Nikon D4S @ CES Show

MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Official, just no specs yet.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nikon/Press-Room/Press-Release/hpty6r6z/Nikon%27s-Next-Generation-Professional-Flagship-D-SLR-to-be-Shown-at-2014-CES-Prior-to-Official-Announcement.html

Anyone @ the CES show who has a D4 can compare?

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:39 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

I'll probably be there tomorrow. Will take some pics.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:44 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

snapsy wrote:
I'll probably be there tomorrow. Will take some pics.

Please do, and try taking photos with it under the table. Check out if it can focus in really low light.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:52 AM
rickde

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

One of the claimed improvements on the D4s (besides improved AF) is a fast new image processor. I'm guessing this may be the same processor that will be used for the coming D4x. The new CPU will be needed to handle all the megapixels in the D4x as well as to give the D4s a speed boost and possibly better video.

Edited on Jan 07, 2014 at 05:23 AM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:05 AM
forbidden_hero
• •
p.1 #5 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Hope the D4S will be a big noticeable step up from the D4.. just like the D3 -> D3S upgrade
Give me a reason to upgrade! Dual XQD would be nice too

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:16 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #6 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

I was really hoping for a D4x, but this sounds interesting. I sure hope there are some significant improvements.

If the new AF sensor took up more of the frame that would be nice, as would more cross type af points around the edges of frame.

Dual XQD would certainly be nice too. High iso noise is already great, but extra latitude would be welcome.

Either way I'll probably jump on one, but I'm not sure if I should sell a D4 or D3. And NPS priority purchase (and end up competing for bodies with people shooting the Olympics), or try to get first in line at amazon.com?

Jan 07, 2014 at 06:06 AM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Nikons version of a firmware update.

Jan 07, 2014 at 06:34 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

stuuke wrote:
Nikons version of a firmware update.

Certainly would seem that way, but we can't speculate until we know the specs.

Will be hard to find enough reason to upgrade, and in fairness I find it hard to believe that a camera as awesome as the D4 isn't enough camera already for 99% of people who bought it and use it. I think camera tech has reached that level now where only small incremental improvements are possible.
I believe CSC will eventually take over from DSLRS as they still have significant room for development, yet DSLR has reached its pinnacle now.

This is good news though. I love when the big guns CaNikon release their next big thing. It's ultimately good for the industry and I look forward to the completely ridiculous debates kicking off on the gear boards and watching the Canon guys tear each other apart.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:25 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Yay, c'mon cheaper used D4's And D3's and D3s's too...

Personally I think there's a lot of room for new and significant features, no matter how good SLR's already are.

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #10 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

I still have difficulty to figure out "significant" improvement from D4 to D4s

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Ya have to wonder what these guys are thinking.

Adding an "S" model... Really? AF improvements? Expeed4, subtle nuances.. and the rub will be a boost in price to like $6,300.--

If they'd offer up a proper D4 model with CF, huge buffer and the D800E sensor. I'd entertain something like that. But this memory card support is a whacky choice. I don't care if it works or not. Sony and (I think) Sandisk are the only people on board with this thing. Sony didn't even see fit to place it in their new models..

They needed to take this to the next level period... I'm getting a little tired of seeing tired revamped shells stuffed with a hodgepodge of scatterings robbed from other mass produced shite. But with the Winter Olympics just weeks away, they needed to mass produce something for the 'spray & pray' guys to hang around their necks in front of all those TV cameras.

36 MP at 11FPS in a pro body would get people pulling out the old VISA card.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:23 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

John Skinner wrote:

Maybe that'll be the D5 ? or a D4xs - x=more resolution, s=more speed

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

John Skinner wrote:

Adding an "S" model... Really? AF improvements? Expeed4, subtle nuances.. and the rub will be a boost in price to like $6,300.--

If they'd offer up a proper D4 model with CF, huge buffer and the D800E sensor. I'd entertain something like that. But this memory card support is a whacky choice. I don't care if it works or not. Sony and (I think) Sandisk are the only people on board with this thing. Sony didn't even see fit to place it in their new models..

They needed to take this to the
...Show more

Agree!

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

John Skinner wrote:

True enough, but that's going to happen anytime soon.

24MP low light @ 10FPS+ is D5 territory at least two more years away.
36MP low light @ 10FPS+ is D6 territory and many years away.

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:34 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #15 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

John Skinner wrote:

They needed to take this to the
...Show more

You need newer processors to get 36MP@11 FPS. One step at a time. Besides I don't think everyone is ready for 36MP resolution. Sooner or later it will be the new standard like 12MP was for a while.

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:40 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #16 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Interesting. The days of shooting at ISO8000 might be the norm within 5 more years.

As for 36mp, I'm sure most are ready but do not understand how massive 36mp raw files are, especially 16gb worth of it (70-75 images). Least to say, I would love to hold a D4s!

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:46 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

2of9 wrote:
Interesting. The days of shooting at ISO8000 might be the norm within 5 more years.

As for 36mp, I'm sure most are ready but do not understand how massive 36mp raw files are, especially 16gb worth of it (70-75 images). Least to say, I would love to hold a D4s!

Hoping you meant 70-75MB files...not just 70-75 files on a 16gb card...

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:57 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

Trouble with the CaNikon krew is that changing direction is akin to turning around an aircraft carrier. They've laid out their 5-year plan, set out the parts supply chain and what seems ridiculous to us (as someone mentioned above, that the D4s is Nikon's idea of a firmware) reflects the reality of 2010 or so. Nothing to worry about from Sony as far as tiny FF DSLR's, or Sigma in re: to lenses. Canon in particuLar is mired down in doing absolutely nothing beyond Snow White cameras at Christmas or super overpriced incremental upgrades (5DIII). The nimble might eat their lunch.

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:08 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #19 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

If a D4X can do 8+ FPS I'd buy one.

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:12 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #20 · Nikon D4S @ CES Show

I'm very very happy with my current D4, this would have to be a big jump in AF accuracy for me to buy into this.

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password