Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Music on website

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Music on website

Imagemaster wrote:
+3

Since everyone has different tastes in music, why risk adding music that many people would dislike?

Have you noticed how 95% of TV commercials have to have annoying music playing

Your statement confuses me. If 95% of commercials use music, then why shouldn't I? They are obviously much smarter than us when it comes to what the consumer wants, and they have decided to use music.

make sense?

Mostly spoken TIC, I will not be adding music any time soon, but your statement makes me wonder...

Aloha!

greg

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:54 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
Your statement confuses me. If 95% of commercials use music, then why shouldn't I? They are obviously much smarter than us when it comes to what the consumer wants, and they have decided to use music.

make sense?

No, I find 95% of the commercials annoying. They try to use the music to get your attention. You should be using your images to get attention.

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:16 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Music on website

I, too find commercials annoying (that is why I record and FF thru them).

But it makes you wonder why, in all of their high-paid wisdom... that they still do it.

greg

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:55 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
Your statement confuses me. If 95% of commercials use music, then why shouldn't I?

Because your work is aimed at those with a faculty for critical thought.

Jan 13, 2014 at 02:27 PM
JoshI
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
I, too find commercials annoying (that is why I record and FF thru them).

But it makes you wonder why, in all of their high-paid wisdom... that they still do it.

greg

Those same marketing departments, in all their high-paid wisdom, choose not to put background music on their websites.

Television commercials and websites have almost nothing in common when it comes to how they are designed, executed, and utilized because they are completely different platforms. I won't go into the differences between interruption marketing and permission-based marketing here on FM, but I will say this; if you want a consensus opinion on whether or not background music is a good idea for a website I don't think a group of photographers is the right place to find it. It's a reasonable question to ask here, but don't be surprised when some think yes and some think no.

In the same way that every DSLR owner is not a professional photographer, every web designer/developer/website owner is not a marketing expert.

Josh

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:25 PM
youhikeneng

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Music on website

It depends on what kind of music maybe ? Something "light music" maybe acceptable ?

Mar 07, 2014 at 05:13 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
Your statement confuses me. If 95% of commercials use music, then why shouldn't I?

If you're making a commercial, then go for it, but isn't this thread about music on a website?

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:46 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Music on website

Definitively:

This
Paul Mo wrote:
… With multiple windows open you can wonder where the music is coming from - plus, you might be listening to something else only to have audio 'imposed' upon you. Then you are left looking at the offending site trying to find a non-existent mute button, so you close it and don't return.

This
cwebster wrote:
… Especially when there's no obvious way to stop it (like a mute button or volume control).

and This
JoshI wrote:
Music is fine on a web page as long as it's permission-based (i.e., the user starts the music rather than the music starting on page load). I've A/B'd enough sites though to tell you that auto-playing background music can have a huge impact on your bounce rate.

…which is conceptually frustrating because music can add so much to visual presentations.

Nevertheless, there is no getting around the points made above. Audio of any sort should never be “imposed” (as Paul puts it) on web pages unless that is their primary purpose. Opt-in can be a lovely touch if done well with an intimate understanding of the target audience.

Short of that, it’s such a bad idea I’m surprised this is even being discussed (no offense intended, just being emphatic).

YMWV

Chuck

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Music on website

Paul Mo wrote:
As a concept, I find it annoying - in most cases.

Basically, it is a highly personal design decision.

+1

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:56 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Music on website

Your web site should not make noise unless I specifically do something to ask it to do so. And even then, it still probably shouldn't.

This goes for videos that play (with sound) automatically when the page loads also.

STOP. HURTING. THE. WEB.

May 19, 2014 at 05:47 AM
Cymen

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Music on website

+1 to no music. If I'm in an office setting and I've unplugged my headphones or somehow forgot to lower the volume and I visit your site, it is embarrassing. If I'm at home, I'm probably multitasking. Maybe watching TV or listening to my own music. Auto play music is invasive. As a software developer, I also have a bias against those sites that autoplay music. It makes me think that this person or company just doesn't get it. That they don't understand the web. And maybe they don't understand whatever it is they do as a business and I'm best off going somewhere else.

May 24, 2014 at 07:24 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Music on website

jbregar wrote:
Your web site should not make noise unless I specifically do something to ask it to do so. And even then, it still probably shouldn't.

This goes for videos that play (with sound) automatically when the page loads also.

STOP. HURTING. THE. WEB.

Exactly. Music is terribly annoying as are those obnoxious autorun videos with sound.

EBH

May 24, 2014 at 03:17 PM
mkondrasik

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Music on website

Pretty much sums up my sentiments. Annoying practice that is nearly impossible to integrate into a pleasing, professional looking (and sounding) website. Can't think of one that I didn't click off as soon as it started.

May 24, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Music on website

mkondrasik wrote:
Annoying practice that is nearly impossible to integrate into a pleasing, professional looking (and sounding) website. Can't think of one that I didn't click off as soon as it started.

Takes too long to find the Mute button and then position the cursor over the tiny surface area.

I just back right out of the site and rarely return.

May 26, 2014 at 02:44 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Music on website

chez wrote:
I think you need to view music from your client base. They most likely are not working on anything else and are looking for specific info. Will the music put them into a mood which will help them view your site in a more relaxed atmosphere? There are reasons why there is background music in stress environments...it makes you feel at ease.

The music on your website example was very relaxing and that is why you most likely was touched by it. As long as there is an easy method of turning it off, I think it can add to a
...Show more

Chez raises some really good points. However, I think many clients are also multitasking these days and possibly listening to music of their own. My own preference is to not have to dig through web windows in order to identify the offending "noisy" website, even if I am researching something very specifically. When researching photographers, for example, my wife might open several websites at once to view work while listening to her own music, so the website sounds become a distraction,

May 30, 2014 at 03:32 AM
karosikcreativ

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Music on website

As a web designer, in my opinion; never. Never ever.

Jul 01, 2014 at 03:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password