Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Music on website

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Music on website

Aloha from Hawaii

I know, I know... gut reaction is "no music", but on my site, I was contemplating it, after signing up with a new web template / hosting company.

This is not my site, but the template I am using:

http://design55.cmdwebsites.com

I must say that the music is nice...

thoughts?

thx!

greg

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Music on website

As a concept, I find it annoying - in most cases.

With multiple windows open you can wonder where the music is coming from - plus, you might be listening to something else only to have audio 'imposed' upon you. Then you are left looking at the offending site trying to find a non-existent mute button, so you close it and don't return.

Basically, it is a highly personal design decision.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Music on website

As a concept, I find it annoying - in most cases.

+1

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:25 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Music on website

Deezie wrote:
+1

+2

I listen to music (of my choosing) on my computer most of the time I'm working and don't want some random music imposed on me. Especially when there's no obvious way to stop it (like a mute button or volume control).

<Chas>

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:28 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Music on website

Deezie wrote:
+1

+1 - And, it also slows down page loading in most cases

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:56 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Music on website

yeah, kind of my thoughts as well. Thanks

just that when I heard the nice guitar instrumental on that site, it seemed really classy

no music fo' me, I reckon

greg

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:05 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Music on website

no

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:05 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Music on website

I think you need to view music from your client base. They most likely are not working on anything else and are looking for specific info. Will the music put them into a mood which will help them view your site in a more relaxed atmosphere? There are reasons why there is background music in stress environments...it makes you feel at ease.

The music on your website example was very relaxing and that is why you most likely was touched by it. As long as there is an easy method of turning it off, I think it can add to a website. If someone connects with the music, they might stay longer and have more interest in your site.

I think you are asking the wrong group of people. We are busy post processing or typically multi-tasking, so music to us could be a pain, but maybe not so much for someone looking specifically at your site for info.

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:50 AM
HansB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Music on website

It would be fine if you could set it where you have to opt in not opt out.

Edited on Jan 08, 2014 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:46 PM
JoshI
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Music on website

Music is fine on a web page as long as it's permission-based (i.e., the user starts the music rather than the music starting on page load). I've A/B'd enough sites though to tell you that auto-playing background music can have a huge impact on your bounce rate. If it's a personal site, that's fine. If it's a business site you'll almost certainly lose much more than you gain.

Josh

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Music on website

more great (albeit conflicting) feedback

BTW, here is my new site (feedback welcome):

www.GregsImages.com

Aloha!

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:16 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Music on website

Out of the hundreds of photography websites I've seen, I can think of maybe one of them whose experience has been enhanced by music. In the other 99.5% of cases, the music has been a distraction at best, and downright annoying at worst.

We all used to browse the internet on a desktop computer in the comfort and privacy of our homes (and occasionally offices) but given the increasing portability of computers that enable us to browse the internet in cafes, libraries, restaurants, airports, and other public places, it seems less and less like you'd want to invite a song to unexpectedly autoplay in a browser, causing embarrassment and annoyance to the user and people around them.

There are so many good reasons not to play music on a website. People have different tastes -- not everyone will like the music you play; people often listen to their own music while they're browsing the internet, which your music would definitely interfere with; people often multitask and so your window might not even be maximized when your music starts playing; and you're giving the impression that your website (or worse, the work featured on it) is not good enough without music.

The best websites -- the Googles, Facebooks, Amazons, Twitters, Ebays, Pinterests, Wikipedias, New York Times and Flickrs of the world -- do not use music. Why should you?

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:13 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Music on website

Every website I've ever visited that has had music I've closed instantly. There are a lot of options out there and I really don't want to put up with it.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
more great (albeit conflicting) feedback

BTW, here is my new site (feedback welcome):

www.GregsImages.com

Aloha!

Nice - the real estate photos make Hawaiian properties look like little slices of heaven.

A nitpick - I don't like the font on your site. I am not sure if it is me or if it is not clear enough, but the edges looks rough.

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:03 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Music on website

IMO music is ALWAYS a bad idea unless you are a national brand with an identifiable jingle.

Music is very personal and many people have strong feelings about being subjected to music not of their own choosing.

If you think about it, music is either inoffensive or polarizing.
Inoffensive music brands you as a wishy washy tasteless person and polarizing music makes moat people mad.

BTW the music sample seems cheesy.

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:23 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Music on website

if you are doing videos, musical soundtracks are part of the entire 'package' and expected by the viewer. For stills it's not needed in most cases and a little silly.

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:21 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Music on website

More great input.

I have gone without music.

still love feedback on the new site, though.

www.GregsImages.com

Thanks and Aloha!

greg

Jan 09, 2014 at 10:04 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Music on website

gheller wrote:
More great input.

I have gone without music.

still love feedback on the new site, though.

www.GregsImages.com

Thanks and Aloha!

greg

I think your portfolio would be a lot stronger if you omitted some photos. I'm not going to say which, but just consider it. It's like "good, good good, great, nice, why" That one bad apple spoils the bunch.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:16 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Music on website

cwebster wrote:
+2

I listen to music (of my choosing) on my computer most of the time I'm working and don't want some random music imposed on me. Especially when there's no obvious way to stop it (like a mute button or volume control).

<Chas>

+3

Since everyone has different tastes in music, why risk adding music that many people would dislike?

Have you noticed how 95% of TV commercials have to have annoying music playing

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:32 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Music on website

swoop wrote:
I think your portfolio would be a lot stronger if you omitted some photos. I'm not going to say which, but just consider it. It's like "good, good good, great, nice, why" That one bad apple spoils the bunch.

I would not be offended (in fact, grateful) if you could say which ones are in the "why" category. Sometimes we love a photo for reasons unknown and are jaded by our own eyes.

Thanks!

greg

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password