Jan 18, 2014 at 08:00 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

x-box wrote:
Nope, It's MFT chart is out now and suggests it
Sit between otus and 58 1.8g.

for 1/6th of the price, that's spectacular to say the least.

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

SeverianTL wrote:
Three of these things are not like the others.

That's right. And they are kicking ass and taking names.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new 50!

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:07 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Never could get 3 copies of the other 1.4 to reliably focus on any Canon body under 12 ft. Shame cause the f'd images looked great. Of course this is a completely diff lens.
But if it's as good as it looks, fantastic! Would be great to have this and a new Canon 50 to choose from. It's been a fast 50 desert for a long time IMO, though my current EF 1.4 does better than any other copy I've had, and the 2.5 is too, if not fast.
If either this or the (alleged) Canon end up as good wide open as the EF 40 2.8 is, wide open, I'm going to be in hog heaven.

Jan 19, 2014 at 04:01 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

The 35 Art was a great lens but lacks character. Better than the Canon 35L but not even close to the Zeiss 35 (f2 or 1.4 are both leaders in the class). I've been holding off on buying a 50L because I know Canon is announcing a new 50 f/1.4 IS this year. It's not an L series, it will be in the same category as the recently released Canon 28 and 35 f2 IS. I'm betting this Sigma will be better than the new Canon (and I know it will be better than the 50L) and I'm guessing will be priced around $749US. If you're not scared of MF and really want the BEST image quality possible, buy the Zeiss 50mm MP...can normally pick one up here used for $800ish. Happy to see Sigma stepping it up with glass quality and also customer service. I'm sure Canon will see this and step it up big.

Edited on Jan 19, 2014 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:26 PM
oiseau0001
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

BostonGreg wrote:
The 35 Art was a great lens but lacks character. Better than the Canon 35L but not even close to the Zeiss 35 (f2 or 1.4 are both leaders in the class). I've been holding off on buying a 50L because I know Canon is announcing a new 50 f/1.4 IS this year. It's not an L series, it will be in the same category as the recently released Canon 28 and 35 f2 IS. I'm betting this Sigma will be better than the new Canon (and I know it will be better than the 50L) and I'm guessing will
...Show more

The Zeiss 50mm MP is a f/2.0 maximum aperture. It also extends greatly when focused. While the Zeiss is a nice lens, it's not a comparable lens. Of course, lacking AF as you pointed out is a major factor. The Zeiss also has a great deal of vignetting. Now, regarding your statement of the 35 Art lacking character, that's a very odd statement regarding a lens. In truth, it sounds more like you have an issue with Sigma in general rather than the 35 Art.

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:34 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Can't wait for Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art to show up.

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:38 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

No problem with Sigma these days, the 35 art was a good lens and the company is no doubt stepping it up. I purchased the 35A the week it came out and received a nice sharp copy-nice feel to it also, very well built. My Zeiss 35 was just SO much better. In a market saturated with professional photographers, I want my images to stand out from the crowd. It may be a personal preference, but I think the colors, contrast, sharpness and overall character of both Zeiss 35s far exceed the Sigma. For those on a budget, this will absolutely be a nice 50mm lens and I think with Sigma stepping up their service, they may even retain a good resale value. I guess my point is more people should give Zeiss a try...I was amazed with the first one I bought

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:47 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

kewlcanon wrote:
Can't wait for Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art to show up.

Is this a rumored lens? I would LOVE to see a 14mm f2.8 Art...and I know Sigma does a lot of super-wides in the past. I would definitely pick up one of these!

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:52 PM
oiseau0001
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

BostonGreg wrote:
No problem with Sigma these days, the 35 art was a good lens and the company is no doubt stepping it up. I purchased the 35A the week it came out and received a nice sharp copy-nice feel to it also, very well built. My Zeiss 35 was just SO much better. In a market saturated with professional photographers, I want my images to stand out from the crowd. It may be a personal preference, but I think the colors, contrast, sharpness and overall character of both Zeiss 35s far exceed the Sigma. For those on a budget, this will
...Show more

That's the thing I find about Zeiss stuff. There are a great deal of references to "character" or "colors". Things like sharpness, CA, LoCA, vignetting, maximum aperture, and AF speed / accuracy are all measurable, and, according to PZ, the Sigma bests the Zeiss. I like Zeiss' stuff, but I think that there is some confirmation bias that goes into some of the Zeiss mystique.

My 2c!

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:57 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Yeah, it's rumored.

BostonGreg wrote:
Is this a rumored lens? I would LOVE to see a 14mm f2.8 Art...and I know Sigma does a lot of super-wides in the past. I would definitely pick up one of these!

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:09 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Legion5 wrote:
Sigma themselves released the MTF data for the 50mm 1.4 ART. However that data has not been posted to their tech specs yet, but has been reposted to several popular blogs. It's not a crazy BS conspiracy rumor, but information directly from the source. I would expect Sigma to have first hand information on how their own lens performs.

Planar lenses have extremely poor performance wide open, I'm glad you posted that lens rentals comparison. Planar lenses achieved scores in the 300s and 400s in that test for average MTF50 resolution. For comparison the Zeiss Otus delivers average resolution of 800.
...Show more

I have no doubt it will be sharp and have gobs of resolution. That said, I'll wait for actual tests to be performed outside of Sigma before I comment on anything. MTFs exist to give us a good idea of a few characteristics of a lens but they are not the bible of test results that you seem to believe them to be. I would take any information released by any company with their own testing equipment with a grain of salt. Just something I have learned through my career in science.

I have been looking for a solid performing 50/1.4 for my canon system for the last year and haven't found one that I like. Maybe this will be it. Hopefully (as someone stated above) it has more character than the rather bland but sharp sigma 35.

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:46 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

From the few Zeiss lenses I've used, I don't see much 'character'. Maybe I'm using them wrong, but I just can't see paying so much for MF glass. I guess it's just not for me.

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

BostonGreg wrote:
No problem with Sigma these days, the 35 art was a good lens and the company is no doubt stepping it up. I purchased the 35A the week it came out and received a nice sharp copy-nice feel to it also, very well built. My Zeiss 35 was just SO much better. In a market saturated with professional photographers, I want my images to stand out from the crowd. It may be a personal preference, but I think the colors, contrast, sharpness and overall character of both Zeiss 35s far exceed the Sigma. For those on a budget, this will
...Show more

Have you any raw files from the sigma 35 and zeiss 35 that we may look at and the same motive F-stop etc etc.
I agree with you that several zeiss lenses is good, the only question is which ones and in what context, regarding Sigma 35 and zeiss 35 I do not agree with you at all and absolute not from 1,4-2,8 and over all presentation

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:09 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

BenV wrote:
From the few Zeiss lenses I've used, I don't see much 'character'. Maybe I'm using them wrong, but I just can't see paying so much for MF glass. I guess it's just not for me.

No I don't think you are using them wrong , but you may try a zeiss with a great 'character' as my Otus and compare that lens to others 50-58mm

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Paul Mo wrote:
Hopefully it can focus in lower light than the 35 f1.4.

+1. I could be tempted if low light focus is improved. I have been sitting on the fence for a while regarding 1.4/1.8 lenses. ow is the time for me to take the plunge when I can decide which lens to buy.

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:49 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

oiseau0001 wrote:
That's the thing I find about Zeiss stuff. There are a great deal of references to "character" or "colors". Things like sharpness, CA, LoCA, vignetting, maximum aperture, and AF speed / accuracy are all measurable, and, according to PZ, the Sigma bests the Zeiss. I like Zeiss' stuff, but I think that there is some confirmation bias that goes into some of the Zeiss mystique.

My 2c!

A couple of things to keep in mind. First tests especially done with imatest software do not capture all that is important about images. Imatest is good at looking at sharpness at fairly close focus range, but even that is limited as it is presented in most tests with only focussing on two or three points across the frame. It gives some information, but it should not be confused with a definitive measure of sharpness. In my view the CA tests are even more limited because CA shows in different ways with different lighting conditions and they only test with one type of lighting situation, and it only tests for CA in the focus plane. PZ does take a shot of a ruler to look at longitudinal CA (CA not in the focus plane) for some lenses, but again this is only a very rudimentary tests and only captures this type of CA in one pretty limited situation. So, yes the Sigma 35 f/1.4 art lens does test better at PZ and whenever imatest software is used, but this should not be confused with comprehensive evidence the the Sigma is better.
Second, one area in which the Zeiss ZE 35 f/1.4 excels is in its bokeh. Some test sites set up a scene and provide a little evidence about bokeh, but bokeh shows itself in many distances and many backgrounds so this is a very limited test. I can say, however, after using the ZE 35 f/1.4 that it has lovely bokeh in a wide range of distances and backgrounds. It is in my view the primary strength of the lens and one area, IMO, that is is much better than the Sigma.
So, I think the Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art is a sharper lens at wider apertures (but not stopped down) and has less CA in some situations, but I think the Zeiss ZE 35 f/1.4 has much nicer bokeh. Which lens is better in my view depends on how one wants to use it. Stopped down they would both be excellent for landscapes. Used at or near wide open I think it depends whether the bokeh is going to impact the photo more or the in focus region. Both are great lenses, however.

my 2 cents

Edit: and by the way PZ doesn't even test the ZE 35 f/1.4 or the ZF either so there is no direct comparison at that site. Lenstip does test them both, however.

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:46 AM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

http://www.lenstip.com/307.4-Lens_review-Carl_Zeiss_Distagon_T*_35_mm_f_1.4_ZE_ZF.2_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html

lots has happened on the lens side, if Im little bit crass, I can say that a healthy Nikon 14-24 at 21 mm runs 8 around Zeiss 21/2,8 a classic lens known for its resolution over the entire image area, in one respect Nikon are worse and Zeiss better =flare

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Mikael Risedal wrote:
http://www.lenstip.com/307.4-Lens_review-Carl_Zeiss_Distagon_T*_35_mm_f_1.4_ZE_ZF.2_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html

lots has happened on the lens side, if Im little bit crass, I can say that a healthy Nikon 14-24 at 21 mm runs 8 around Zeiss 21/2,8 a classic lens known for its resolution over the entire image area, in one respect Nikon are worse and Zeiss better =flare

Well I won't get into that argument because it is off topic, but I will just say that I disagree.

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:19 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

@Steve

You're right, Nikon has ONE outstanding lens (14-24)

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1       2       3              5      
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.