Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Matt Grum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

stargazer78 wrote:
The lens is pretty big for a 50mm f1.4 prime. It's virtually identical in both size and weight to a 17-40L.

I think it's part of a welcome paradigm shift for 50mm lenses. The fast fifty has always been the poor man of the SLR world, compared to 35 f/1.4s and slower 50mm macro lenses. The focal length is just long enough to allow a cheap but fast symmetrical design, but the quality has always been mediocre at best (partly due to limited space at the rear).

Ultra fast 50s like the f/0.95 and f/1.0 lenses of yore make much less sense in the digital world, I'm glad we're seeing higher end 50 f/1.4s like the Otus and new Sigma Art lenses (both very different designs however). The increase in size is just a consequence of a move away from the 7 element symmetric design in order to push image quality forwards.

Bravo Sigma, I wonder how long it will be before we see Canon's similarly priced 50 f/2.0 IS

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Matt Grum
• •
p.3 #2 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

vidoprof wrote:
i would love to see lenses actually be what the manufacturer says.. It's a real problem. The 70-200 is no where NEAR 200mm. it's rather disappointing.

Ryan G

It's probably close to 200mm at infinity but being an IF lens gets much shorter as you focus closer.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:52 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #3 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

I love my current Sigma 50, it could do with better contrast/sharpness wide open. I'm tempted to sell mine now, or do I wait for reviews...

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.3 #4 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Matt Grum wrote:
Bravo Sigma, I wonder how long it will be before we see Canon's similarly priced 50 f/2.0 IS

You are too pessimistic, there is still hope Canon will make it f/1.8

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Matt Grum
• •
p.3 #5 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

johnctharp wrote:
I think I'll wait till we get real lenses in hands- the Canon is still largely a better value than either Sigma. It's marginally better optically, while being smaller and lighter, and mostly guaranteed to hit it's AF targets.

You've obviously have a different 50mm f/1.4 than the three copies I've owned, all were distinctly average optically and the AF configuration had far too few steps to achieve critical focus reliably. At least when you have a back-focusing Sigma there is hope for AF microadjust...

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:44 AM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

i'm holding out for the canon, if it ever comes. no rush. my canon 50 1.4 is excellent, apart from the rather sad build.

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:57 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Fingers crossed for no-fuss AF performance.

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:59 PM
asiafish
• •
p.3 #8 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

UCSB wrote:
Over the holidays I picked up the Canon 35mm f/2 IS. I am totally happy with it. I've been hoping that Canon will introduce the next two lenses in their non-L prime upgrade sequence: 50mm f/1.4 IS and 85mm f/1.8 IS. Based on past experience, I think I would rather have the Canon 50mm, especially if it has IS.

But, this Sigma 50mm looks nice. I might try it on my 5DIII with the AF dock.

I bought the same lens in early December and love it. I second your wish for a new 50/1.4 IS and 85/1.8 IS, and would buy both instantly.

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Why did Sigma introduce a new 50 f/1.4 when the current 50 f/1.4 is only a couple years old?

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:01 PM
myron lee
• •
p.3 #10 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

I went through four canon 50mm and found a Sigma 50 that is has great bokeh, sharp and consistent focus in all situation. I made some of my fellow 50 1.2 shooters sigma born-agains. If this Art 50mm is sharp at the corners and the bokeh is just as creamy , I will definitely upgrade. I have a feeling also that Canon will announce some new primes this year including the 50mm. I can't believe Canon can just sit for so long and take all these blows. But I am loving the competition.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tdong
• • •
p.3 #11 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

please be as good as OTUS ? hehehhe i know wishful thinking but ....

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.3 #12 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

I don't think anyone's mentioned that it has a floating elements focus system which should dramatically reduce (or eliminate) focus shift when stopping down at close focussing distances. That's a distinct advantage over Canon 50's! My 50L is looking over its shoulder as we speak.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:43 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.3 #13 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Richard Nye wrote:
Why did Sigma introduce a new 50 f/1.4 when the current 50 f/1.4 is only a couple years old?

I would guess to incorporate some of their newer optical designs (that are so well received) rather than just cosmetically updating a 6-year old lens. I think Zeiss and Nikon's recent releases (55/1.4, 58/1.4) helped reassure them that consumers may be interested in higher optical quality at the expense of increased size/weight.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:45 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Excited to see what comes of this lens. Hopefully Sigma has finally gotten this one right.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:46 PM
MintMar
• •
p.3 #15 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Richard Nye wrote:

They cannot rely on a strong DSLR system to sell the basically same lens design for a decade or two...

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:50 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

MintMar wrote:
They cannot rely on a strong DSLR system to sell the basically same lens design for a decade or two...

I would actually argue that the current design has a number of critical weaknesses - notably in the reliability of the focusing system. If they can fix that, they will have a HUGE hit on their hands amongst people otherwise spoiled by Canon L lenses.

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:07 PM
jseliger

p.3 #17 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

dfresh wrote:
I would guess to incorporate some of their newer optical designs (that are so well received) rather than just cosmetically updating a 6-year old lens. I think Zeiss and Nikon's recent releases (55/1.4, 58/1.4) helped reassure them that consumers may be interested in higher optical quality at the expense of increased size/weight.

Plus, the major manufacturers seem weirdly uninterested in updating their own 50mm lenses in the $400 $600 range; Nikon's 58mm is to be applauded but at $1,700 it addresses a much smaller market than the one for a $500 $800 lens.

Since I'm typing this I'll use myself as an example: the most expensive lens I've ever bought was about $575, and under no circumstances would a buy a lens that costs more than $1,000 no matter how good it may be.

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:11 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.3 #18 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

Richard Nye wrote:

The Sigma 50/1.4 EX came out in early to mid 2008, so it's about six years old now. If you follow Sigma, you'll know that they churn out new lens designs fairly frequently; just look at all of the variants of the 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8, and 120-300/2.8 they've come out with in the past few years.

dfresh wrote:

I would argue that it was more the success of the Sigma 35/1.4 that motivated them. The continuing success of the Sigma 50/1.4 EX (which is 35 grams heavier than the new lens) had already shown them that the market would tolerate a beefy 50mm.

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:26 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #19 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

I'm excited about this annoucement since I am hoping to get a 50 prime this year. The large size is a little surprising, but it shall suffice. 9 blades and 77mm filter thread is an added bonus for me. The biggest wild card is of course the AF accuracy/consistency.

All in all I hope it gets more hype than the Sigma 35 and possibly drive down the used prices of the 50L that way it will give me two possible options. I'm also curious on the price point they will choose for this lens... My guess is $999, but wishful thinking hopes it will be even less that way it can seperate price point of the 50L even more and possibly drive down used prices

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:32 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #20 · 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens announced

gocolts wrote:
If it's sharp with reliable AF at f/1.4...

That's quite an "if". I tried to buy the current Sigma 50mm f/1.4, but the AF was completely awful and after trying 3 copies in the shop i walked out with the Canon instead.

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:43 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password