Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

I have the same dillema and the Sigma 120-300 2.8 was recommended by Trenchmonkey. I dont want to spend the $1500 for it used so I will be adding a 1.4tc to my 70-200 2.8 and thus getting the same reach. Of course I will be losing a stop.

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

I shoot ultimate Frisbee (my daughters sport in HS and now college). just a bit smaller a field and a whole lot faster for action. shot with D3 and D4. I use a 70-200/2.8 with and w/o the 1.4x or 1.7x tc. I shoot generally at 800 and above iso and 1/500th sec.
you need to watch the game and roll with it. this means you are going to get somewhat of a workout too. you can see who is controlling the situation and start to follow along. if you are shooting from a stationary location you lose.
shooting this makes soccer look as fast as a chess match.
http://sjms.smugmug.com/Sports/Ultimate
in the end you're not going to get them all.

Jan 06, 2014 at 06:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

just an example
1- whole shot taken at 280mm w/70-200/2.8 w/TC
2- crop of Frisbee cruising along as everyone going for it.

crop

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:00 AM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

Man.. wish i could get that close to one!! - Referring to the hawk.

B

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:38 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

Although the lenses are the way to go here, I also have to comment on the choice like a D800e... Like why? And, if that's the choice, why not a plain D800. There would be virtually no discernible difference for hand held sports shots. And, the D800 is often available refurbished for far less than a D800e.
I also thought this was about a budget.

The D800 series cameras can be difficult to work with. Best Suited for landscape, studio work, and possibly general work by experienced/skilled photographers like TM, or others. Most use a tripod for best, absolute result. You have more crop ability, but also a higher chance of image failure as any camera shake will be reflected in the final capture (which is true with a lot of the higher pixel density bodies). More so, than the D3s or a D700 and other cameras with the "fatter" pixels. This was pointed out in the original release information and videos by both Nikon and Jim Brandenburg cautioned about this, among others out there. Be prepared to double, or triple the old rule with shutter speed/focal length if hand holding. Which means higher ISO, etc. etc.

There are reasons Nikon makes a variety of camera bodies, some are better suited for certain photography genres than others.

All the above just my opinion of course, supported by information freely available from Nikon and other sources..

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:58 AM
JoshI
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

I'd spend the money on the glass before a new body, personally. You can find an AF-I 300/2.8 for about what a used D800 costs.

If you absolutely must have a new body, I'd take a look at the D7100. Reasonably fast, great AF, plenty of pixel density, and pretty solid files. The only downsides are the UI and the high ISO performance. I don't mind the interface of the D7100 so much as I mind that it's different from the D800. Switching back and forth between them is a royal pain. And I find my D800 about a stop ahead of my D7100 in ISO performance in the real world (at the same print size).

If you decide to go the D800 route, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Don't worry about hand-holding the D800. The D7000 has an equivalent pixel density. The D7100 has a much higher pixel density. You never hear anyone talk about how you can't handhold those cameras. It's just part of the internet myth and lore surrounding the D800. In actual use the D800 is just as hand-holdable (ha!) as any other Nikon DSLR at equivalent output sizes.

Josh

Jan 06, 2014 at 10:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

D7100 too slow and extreme small buffer

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

blutch wrote:
Man.. wish i could get that close to one!! - Referring to the hawk.

B

as long as the hawk is sitting there in repose.

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:09 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

I have nothing to add to this..but sjms that last photo is great. Just shear disappointment from the girl in blue

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:20 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

sjms wrote:

I was reading about D7100 and its small buffer. Then I read a couple of postings here on FM on how you can work around it. Also, I wonder why one would need more than 3-4 fps for more than 2-3 seconds. Have we all become machine gunners with our camera and have lost the art of anticipation and timing?

Maji

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:22 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

sjms wrote:

spineguy wrote:
i like the idea of the D800e and its ability to crop and not lose much detail.. I can get away with out the machine gun shots as I try not to spray and pray much but time things.

I shoot surfing events with my D800 and recently shot my first with my new D7100 and set up properly at equivalent frame rates my buffers are about the same size. I usually get about 16-17 14-bit lossless NEF's from my D800 at 4fps. I'm getting 14-15 14-bit lossless NEF's at 4fps with the D7100. Once the buffer fills the D7100 continues on at a much faster clip than the D800 (about 3fps for as long as I've ever needed).

If the OP's speed requirements are met by the D800/E, he'll be happy with the D7100 as well. If it's too slow for you, that's fine, but then the D800 would be as well so I'm not sure what relevancy that has for the OP.

Josh

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

a surf event is considerable slower an unfolding then a ultimate or soccer. you have a limited area and course to play in and nothing in the way. I have been to a few surfing venues and yes a 7100 will suffice.

he thinks it will because he feels he will derive more detail. allow more of a cropping zone. he is going to try to make a trade where the payment probable will not be in his favor in the long run.

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:45 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

sjms wrote:
a surf event is considerable slower an unfolding then a ultimate or soccer. you have a limited area and course to play in and nothing in the way. I have been to a few surfing venues and yes a 7100 will suffice.

Having shot plenty of high school soccer with a D200 and a D2Xs I'd beg to differ, but that's beside the point.

As I said in my initial post, if I was the OP I'd opt to spend my money on the lens rather than the body. But, he asked a question and I offered an answer. Just telling him that he's wrong and failing to explain your opinion is unhelpful at best.

Josh

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

FWIW, the most important part about shooting any sport is to know your sport so well that you can read the action before it happens. Next is correctly setting up your camera for speed (not fps speed) but acquisition speed. Even when I had my D3s I shot one frame at a time and got exactly what I wanted. Yes there are times when fps count and a sequence is desirable but I found this to be rare for me. I love the D3s and its ability to rapid fire but it's not necessary to get the money shots. I shoot my daughters softball no problem with my D800. The 36 mp's provides 3 options for fps' and the 6fps, 15.8 res option trumps the D3s especially in dynamic range. I can quickly go from 36 to 24 or 15.8 based on need. 24mps seems to be the sweet spot for sports. The following images were from my D800.I have many more on my main PC. The D3s is the best body made but became to specific for me and cost to much.I decided to find a good balance as a professional and a Dad taking shots of his daughter to. The weight of the D3 and a 70-200 although not bad is a bitch after a long day of shooting. Add a 300 and it's time for a mono pod. The D800/ optional grip when needed is perfect when I do video. I shot vid and killer images at my daughters little league World Series from one body. Mind blowing. Don't underestimate the D800. The D3s is a one of a kind tool if it fits your needs. I now have more glass and more options. For me the D800 is the best bang for the buck, so is the D7000' ( Monkey Tested). Got mine new for $699

© Christian S 2014

My Hot Tub

© Christian S 2014

Noelle

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

My suggestion would be a D7100 on your 70-200 VRII, that will give you the same FOV as a 300mm and plenty of cropping ability. I owned a D7100 briefly and I was amazed by its high ISO capability and sharpness.

Jan 06, 2014 at 01:30 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

I honestly never found the buffer in the D7100 to be an issue, but I understand that some might find it limiting in certain professional settings. I am not a pro so there's no pressure to get the shot, hence I am very satisfied with the D7100.

I use a 300 2.8 VR on a D7100 and a 200 F/2 VR on a D600, such an amazing combo Here's a previous thread where the guys provided great advice when I had a similar question. My conclusion that ideally you need both, big glass & a DX body, at least as a back up.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1246797/0?keyword=big,glass#11857705

Jan 06, 2014 at 03:31 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

hijazist wrote:
I honestly never found the buffer in the D7100 to be an issue, but I understand that some might find it limiting in certain professional settings. I am not a pro so there's no pressure to get the shot, hence I am very satisfied with the D7100.

I use a 300 2.8 VR on a D7100 and a 200 F/2 VR on a D600, such an amazing combo Here's a previous thread where the guys provided great advice when I had a similar question. My conclusion that ideally you need both, big glass & a DX body, at least as
...Show more

I think the moral to the story here is : Good camera, Great glass. Can't argue with these photo's.

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

JoshI wrote:
Having shot plenty of high school soccer with a D200 and a D2Xs I'd beg to differ, but that's beside the point.

As I said in my initial post, if I was the OP I'd opt to spend my money on the lens rather than the body. But, he asked a question and I offered an answer. Just telling him that he's wrong and failing to explain your opinion is unhelpful at best.

Josh

His basic issue is he really doesn't know how to use what he has.

Jan 06, 2014 at 06:48 PM
spineguy

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

so many great suggestions… i don't think i am going to go DX camera though…

The teleconverter route has me interested… or the older version of the 300mm…

ALSO, nikon rumors just announced that nikon will be announcing a possible D4s… hmmmm

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · have a D3s but need reach… advice?

Yes, go with an older version of 300/2.8. Or even get the 300/4, just crank the ISO a bit more, which will work well on the D3s. Frankly, for 2 of your 3 intended uses, the 300/4 will be just fine and dandy. For dance, I suggest you use that 85 and get REALLY close. Like to the edge of the stage close. If you can't get to the edge of the stage, then get as close as you can regardless, and use that 70-200.

The old adage always holds true. Great glass first, then bodies next. Bodies come and go, great glass stays great.

Don't hold out for a possible D4s or somesuch. Your camera is plenty for what you're trying to shoot. Just need that reach is all.

Jan 06, 2014 at 11:06 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.