New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gear purge suggestions?

bikemore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear purge suggestions?

One goal for the new photo year is to condense my gear into what I'm more likely to use regularly.

Any suggestions and guidelines from your experience for weeding out the unused or less often used?

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:57 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear purge suggestions?

I'm probably the last person to ask but if (when?) I were to do it I'd use Lightroom to inspect the lenses I've used over the last x months (insert your own value for x) and then consider lightening the load starting with the ones that have not been used.

There are still considerations to make though, for example even if I've not used some particular lenses for say 6 months it won't automatically mean they'll be on the chopping block, so I'd use LR as a guide.

Mike

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:02 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear purge suggestions?

Looking at your overall usage is a great place to start, but also think about your favorite images and whether or not you could have taken them without that lens. Sometimes the less used lenses produce your best images, so factor in the lens' potential to produce your best shots.
For instance, I use my 35f1.4 much less than some other lenses, but the results when I do use it are some of my favorites, so I would give it up even if I haven't used it for awhile.

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear purge suggestions?

bikemore wrote:
One goal for the new photo year is to condense my gear into what I'm more likely to use regularly.

Any suggestions and guidelines from your experience for weeding out the unused or less often used?

Sell all Canon stuff

Seriously, make a list of what you have and what you shoot, and what your favourite stuff is.

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear purge suggestions?

Sell it all, shoot with your smartphone ?

For me at least, if the requirment was a camera that I actually used each and every single day, I think its the only one that would honestly get to remain

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear purge suggestions?

Make a depth chart.

Here's mine, after removing 24 lenses that are currently in my "for sale" pile. Most of the lenses in the bottom section are also in the top section, except for Fujiifilm X, Auto Bellows II, and some M645 Mirex-TS lenses.

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.