3       end

Archive 2014 · How cold is too cold?

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How cold is too cold?

Steve Perry wrote:
Might have been me:

There isn't a week that passes that Steve doesn't have me literally laugh out loud.. This is priceless !

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:29 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How cold is too cold?

Steve that looks mighty chilly!

After some digging, this is what I had in mind previously:

http://500px.com/photo/1132916

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:22 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How cold is too cold?

niXer wrote:
With the weather man predicting doom tomorrow (monday) for my area I was wondering how cold is too cold for my camera gear?

A lot of places are shutting down tomorrow due to the 11 inches of snow we're predicted to get by nights end, on top of the 11 inches we already got. Also that whole being a high of -15F with wind chills making it feel like -50F.

Windchill is a big yawn. It has no effect on nonliving items, only something that produces its own heat. I've been living in the Dakotas for nearly 25 years and have regularly photo'd in SD/ND/MN in temps as low as 42 below zero. It's just not a big deal. I photo at night a lot, leaving my camera out on a tripod for hours at a time while waiting for a train to show up. If it's snowing hard, I put a plastic bag over the camera and tie, to keep snow off. I do pull the battery and keep it in an inner pocket. The conditions you are talking about just aren't all that cold. I know for a fact my d300 worked just fine at --42, and I've had my new D7100 out in --28 already. Works just fine. I do limit AF and don't keep reviewing photos over & over. I have two spare batteries in an inner pocket. I leave my camera gear out in the car all winter long and avoid bringing it inside. When I do bring it in, I keep it in a sealed plastic bag until it warms up. Other tip is to be careful to NOT breathe on the lens or LCD. It's hard to get the frost back off once it's on. Again, windchill is a non-factor, and --15 is no big deal at all. To a camera, it's --15 nothing more. Just shoot like you normally would, and have a couple of spare batteries in inside pocket. I'm headed back out tonight to catch another train about 11 PM. Might be around 20 below then, but that's just not a problem.

Kent in SD

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:29 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How cold is too cold?

took my D800 and 24-70 out in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago to shoot the northern lights, temps were -36C, -45 with wind chill, camera stood up no problem, i however didn't

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:30 PM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How cold is too cold?

RLDubbya wrote:
Coldest I've shot was a dog sled race in MN in January, -20F. Gear held up fine. I picked up a Cozy Camera Bag, which is neoprene, fits a gripped 800 with the 70-200/2.8, has room for the chemical heat packets, and my right hand was actually sweating it was so warm.

If you're going to do cold weather a lot, consider getting the black cold weather Carhartt coveralls - they're cheap, they last forever, and they're hot. Wear a pair of tights underneath, a goose down parka on top, and you'll last as long as your gear. Pick up
...Show more

I don't think I have ziplock bags big enough for the D3 & 70-200mm. Can I put them under blankets as soon as I get back, take out batteries/memory cards and just leave them?

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How cold is too cold?

Nikon_14 wrote:
Solution:
Turn the camera off before bringing it inside. Let it warm up to room temperature before turning it back on.

NO NO NO! You have to have the camera/lens/etc. inside of something sealed, like a camera bag or tight plastic bag. Otherwise, the humidity indoors will condense on the camera both outside AND inside it. Keep it sealed up until it feels like it's above the freezing point. I just leave my camera gear out in my car all winter long and only bring in the SD cards (or film holders, depending.)

Kent in SD

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:38 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How cold is too cold?

lol Steve - that is awesome

lara_ckl
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How cold is too cold?

I use a kitchen-sized trash bag. I dust off the snow and wipe off any visible moisture. Turn camera off. Put camera and lens, or the whole camera bag, depending what I took with me, into the trash bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Tie the trash bag up. Bring it inside. Put in under a blanket or jacket. Let it slowly come up to room temperature. I usually allow 2-3 hours.

As mentioned above, the human behind the camera is more likely to give out before the camera.

Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How cold is too cold?

niXer wrote:
I don't think I have ziplock bags big enough for the D3 & 70-200mm. Can I put them under blankets as soon as I get back, take out batteries/memory cards and just leave them?

I use plastic grocery bags from Walmart, and simply tie the top shut. Works fine, don't need ziplock. Put the camera in while you are in outside air, as it will have very low humidity. don't bother with pulling battery, card, etc. as it doesn't matter.

Kent in SD

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How cold is too cold?

RLDubbya wrote:
If you're going to do cold weather a lot, consider getting the black cold weather Carhartt coveralls - they're cheap, they last forever, and they're hot. Wear a pair of tights underneath, a goose down parka on top, and you'll last as long as your gear.

Those are Carrhart Arctics, and they're OK. A bit warmer than most snowmobile suits but still not up to temps much below -10 by themselves. Since winter is my favorite time of year for photos, and it's been known to hit -54 where I live, I've invested in some serious expedition grade clothing:

Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero suit (800 fill)
Black Diamond guide gloves
Outdoor Research gorilla face mask
Baffin expedition boots
Mountain Hardwear heavy wt. polar fleece top & bottom midlayer
Columbia OmniHeat base layer top & bottom
Scott goggles

This stuff is available from mountaineering supply outfits such as Moosejaw and Backcountry. Since I go to remote places in the middle of the night, I make damn sure I have the clothing for it. It's all expedition grade and cost nearly $2,000 but is the best available I can find. I can stay outside indefinitely wearing it. Other excellent brands are Fjallraven, Canada Goose, and Marmot. North Face used to be decent but now they're more interested in style rather than performance.

For those just looking for best bang for the buck warmth in places not normally cold, I'd suggest a good goose down vest (not 80/20 stuff--pure down), a windproof face mask/stocking hat, and boots with at least 600gm Thinsulate. You can find great prices on Cabelas brand boots and they are good quality at a great value.

Kent in SD

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:58 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How cold is too cold?

I kept my D300 in my route truck for years. Subzero winters and 100 degree summers. It's still going strong. It didn't see the inside of a house until I quit the delivery job.

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How cold is too cold?

-42 celcius without the wind when I took this photo last week. D800 + 14-24mm worked fine. Long durations outside, you need to keep a battery warm. Dials on d800 seem to stiffen up more than my canon's did. Be careful with your breath!

Windchill does have an effect on cameras and such. All object have heat. Wind will strip the heat off faster than if there is no wind. An object will only get as cold as the temperature though.

Edited on Jan 06, 2014 at 12:28 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How cold is too cold?

1- Cold. shooting a film in Feb 84 on the summit of Mt Washington, NH
2- not so cold just making use of the side road ice before heading into work in '78

Jan 06, 2014 at 06:41 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How cold is too cold?

Yeah don't know what I was worried about. -11 and the camera works like a charm.

The cold wasn't that bad with my layers but I made the mistake of taking my goggles off to scratch under my glasses and condensation crept into both my glasses and googles and boom froze so I couldn't see.

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:43 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How cold is too cold?

I've actually been wondering about this too......It dropped to +61 degrees down here in South Florida the other day.....i was hesitant to go out, but i sacked up and went and picked strawberries...... :-)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3683/11797919395_54521710e2_o.jpg

Jan 06, 2014 at 08:14 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How cold is too cold?

Hardcore wrote:
-42 celcius without the wind when I took this photo last week. D800 + 14-24mm worked fine. Long durations outside, you need to keep a battery warm. Dials on d800 seem to stiffen up more than my canon's did. Be careful with your breath!

Windchill does have an effect on cameras and such. All object have heat. Wind will strip the heat off faster than if there is no wind. An object will only get as cold as the temperature though.

Lovely shot, Corey!

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:50 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How cold is too cold?

DougVaughn wrote:
I get to join all you northern folks Tuesday morning when I fly to Milwaukee, but unfortunately all business and no camera. Nashville is expected to be 4 degrees, which is crazy for us wimpy folks from the south. Stay warm and happy shooting!

Sounds like golfing weather here in Canada...

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How cold is too cold?

Two23 wrote:
Those are Carrhart Arctics, and they're OK. A bit warmer than most snowmobile suits but still not up to temps much below -10 by themselves. Since winter is my favorite time of year for photos, and it's been known to hit -54 where I live, I've invested in some serious expedition grade clothing:

Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero suit (800 fill)
Black Diamond guide gloves
Outdoor Research gorilla face mask
Baffin expedition boots
Mountain Hardwear heavy wt. polar fleece top & bottom midlayer
Columbia OmniHeat base layer top & bottom
Scott goggles

This stuff is available from mountaineering supply outfits such as Moosejaw and Backcountry. Since I go to
...Show more

TNF makes some good stuff, but it is the higher end stuff. Their winter tents are bomber. The rest of the lineup is designer stuff for teenagers and people who care about name brands

I'll throw in Arcteryx, Patagonia and IceBreaker to your list of great products. Gearing up for Iceland in October

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:47 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How cold is too cold?

I have no idea what you Guys are talking about but I wish I had some. I'm freezing at 18 f here in SC

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:15 PM
thePond

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How cold is too cold?

Pretty cold in Toronto right now as well but I hear from family that Chicago is unbearable.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/11520571346_f6a2858ce7_b.jpg

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:39 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.