Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

How cold is too cold?

niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How cold is too cold?

With the weather man predicting doom tomorrow (monday) for my area I was wondering how cold is too cold for my camera gear?

A lot of places are shutting down tomorrow due to the 11 inches of snow we're predicted to get by nights end, on top of the 11 inches we already got. Also that whole being a high of -15F with wind chills making it feel like -50F.

PERFECT picture taking weather if you ask me but will my D3 + 70-200mm survive just fine? Any tips to keeping it warm?

Jan 05, 2014 at 07:49 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · How cold is too cold?

I'm in your area as well...stay inside.

I was out early Friday morning and it was -10 out. My D7100, Df, 200 f/2 all worked without a hitch. Batteries had no issues as well. As for tomorrow I will stay inside if possible. My work which is a school hasn't closed yet.

Jan 05, 2014 at 07:54 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #3 · How cold is too cold?

VinnieJ wrote:
I'm in your area as well...stay inside.

I was out early Friday morning and it was -10 out. My D7100, Df, 200 f/2 all worked without a hitch. Batteries had no issues as well. As for tomorrow I will stay inside if possible. My work which is a school hasn't closed yet.

Yeah I've been out and about since New Years Eve and such and didn't have a problem but with them going crazy about this polar vortex stuff I started to second guess if I should risk taking my gear out.

I don't have a specific need to go out tomorrow but I figure it's the best time to get unique shots.

Jan 05, 2014 at 07:56 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · How cold is too cold?

Yes, the D3 and the 70-200 are made for exactly such abuse. That's part of why they cost as much as they do.

Jan 05, 2014 at 07:58 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · How cold is too cold?

-50 celcius.... No problem. I've been on Baffin Island in similar temps with my D2h and 70-200.... I lived to tell the story.

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · How cold is too cold?

Windchill only affects the living warm bodied creatures, spent ten days in the arctic a few year back using a D3s and D300s. High temps never reached above -10F, lows -30 with windchill crazy. Both cameras were outside for 7 to 8 hours every day. No issues on either, in fact the battery on the D3s easily lasted 2 days with power to spare. I was impressed.

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:01 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #7 · How cold is too cold?

Trust me, whatever you Americans think is too cold for camera gear, it isn't

I wish I could find that one photographer with his Nikon covered just covered in snow. Escapes me now

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · How cold is too cold?

I've shot in -29F with windchill of -50F. The gear did FAR better than I did. I figure if I can do it than my Nikon stuff can too.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:32 PM
DougVaughn
• •
p.1 #9 · How cold is too cold?

I get to join all you northern folks Tuesday morning when I fly to Milwaukee, but unfortunately all business and no camera. Nashville is expected to be 4 degrees, which is crazy for us wimpy folks from the south. Stay warm and happy shooting!

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:35 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #10 · How cold is too cold?

Just be careful when you bring it in from the cold into a heated environment.

Going from warm to cold = no problem.

Going from cold to warm = condensation, which can be a problem with all things electronic.

Solution:
Turn the camera off before bringing it inside. Let it warm up to room temperature before turning it back on.

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #11 · How cold is too cold?

Very good point. I like to take out the battery and cards when I get home, and put the gear in a bag with silica packets in it - leave the doors open and I disconnect the lens from the body as well.

Happy shooting. Bring some cocoa! Course whiskey and coffee work well too

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:39 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #12 · How cold is too cold?

most cameras are still in sleep mode even when turned off and all have backup battery, I personally wouldn't bother with battery etc, if anything put in bag or case to warm up slowly. I live in North Dakota, so probably cooler than Illinois and most places and haven't had problems with gear without worrying about it. It is WAY to cold to be out shooting though. Plus we got RAIN a couple days ago between days of being -15 or more so roads are not real good. Very odd year weather-wise. I've tried some shooting when it's been -15 or so with a brisk wind and I could only last a couple of minutes b4 giving up. Unless I really have to, i'll gladly wait for warmer days.

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #13 · How cold is too cold?

m.sommers00 wrote:
I wish I could find that one photographer with his Nikon covered just covered in snow. Escapes me now

Might have been me:

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #14 · How cold is too cold?

To the OP -

I've been in the arctic out with my D4 and spent hours with my D800e in -20 ~ -30 temps. You'll quite before the gear does

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Next39
• •
p.1 #15 · How cold is too cold?

I shot Snocross the last two days/nights in Minneapolis, and it was cold. The gear held up better than I did. lol There's not much dexterity when using thick gloves, making it a challenge to use AF-ON and tracking - you only have a sense of where the button should be. Controlling your breathing to keep the moisture off the back of the camera is the hardest part. Between races, I would set the gear down to keep as much blood flowing to my fingertips as I could. That's probably the biggest thing to do to keep your hands/fingers warm.

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:45 PM
vovamir

p.1 #16 · How cold is too cold?

I take my D90 ice fishing all the time. This morning it was -37C (-35F). You need to keep a spare battery warm because they have a lot less life in the cold and also be careful when bringing the camera from the cold into warmth (car, house, etc) because it will fog up if you don't let it slowly acclimatize. I just let mine sit in the bag for at least a few hours before I take it out.

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · How cold is too cold?

15F outside. Heavy snow and wind. Drifts 3 feet high and growing. The D800 was fine. I quit before frostbite had a chance to set in. Camera was fine. I can't deal with cold the way I did in the barbaric winters of the 1960's and 70's. I was out last night and the snow was falling so softly and piling up on all the branches making them really pretty. Then the wind started this morning.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · How cold is too cold?

Yikes... That sure sounds cold.... Here I am turning on my AC in this 77 degree weather in Southern California while I wait for it to cool off a bit before I head to the beach to work on my tan...

Jim

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:19 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · How cold is too cold?

This was outside my bedroom last night. Before the wind started.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:20 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #20 · How cold is too cold?

Coldest I've shot was a dog sled race in MN in January, -20F. Gear held up fine. I picked up a Cozy Camera Bag, which is neoprene, fits a gripped 800 with the 70-200/2.8, has room for the chemical heat packets, and my right hand was actually sweating it was so warm.

If you're going to do cold weather a lot, consider getting the black cold weather Carhartt coveralls - they're cheap, they last forever, and they're hot. Wear a pair of tights underneath, a goose down parka on top, and you'll last as long as your gear. Pick up the chemical handwarmers and good gloves / mittens that you can fit the chemical packs into - that way, when you take them off to do something, you'll warm back up ok.

I also take some big Ziplock baggies, and put the camera and lens into those while still outside, squeeze out as much air as possible, and seal them. I've not had a problem with condensation.

I know it sounds sick, but I'm looking forward to some neat opportunities tomorrow.

Jan 06, 2014 at 01:19 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password