Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

kris416
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Hi Everyone. This is my first "pro" basketball game which took place in a very dim Hershey Place in Mississauga. There were a couple other shooters there who all complained about the light!

Anyways this was a fun experience and very challenging considering the conditions. I was armed with a D3/70-200 2.8 and a D7000/35 1.8. I am not happy at all with the results at 6400 ISO (1000 ss, 2.8) on my D3. Still very dark, and anything above 6400 ISO things were getting too noisy for comfort. Is the D3s really that much better at higher ISO??

Thanks for looking.

© kris416 2014

© kris416 2014

© kris416 2014

© kris416 2014

© kris416 2014

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:48 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

couple more...

© kris416 2014

© kris416 2014

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:49 PM
danmc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

I wouldn't complain about that much light

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Kris,

I'd say you did pretty well producing images that don't look like they have suffered terribly from the light. My first suggestion to you in this kind of situation would be to drop your shutter speed if you believe you are as high with your ISO as you are willing to go. Everything's a tradeoff, but I'm sure you can get decent, sharp images with a lower shutter speed if that's what it takes to achieve proper exposure with workable levels of noise. My second bit of advice is to shoot with your camera in the vertical position. I'd say that in 4 of these 7 images, you've cut off hands/feet/ball that would have served you better in the frame, and a simple turn of your camera might prevent this. Personally, I don't see basketball as a horizontal game, so I shoot both near and far court vertically. And if you look at the shots here that I'm referring to (1, 2, 3 and 5), for 3 of the 4 I would argue that the content of the sides of the frames added by the horizontal perspective detracts more than it adds to the images. So you're cutting out important stuff for the sake of including stuff that doesn't help the image, which warrants a change in approach.

It looks like you have a good eye and good timing for action. You can adapt to the lighting challenges. Then it's time to look carefully at what you are and are not capturing and set your goals from there.

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:19 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Thanks a tonne, Russ. I agree with you totally and started switching to vertical more and more throughout the game. I'll do that a lot more during the next game.

I really appreciate you taking out the time to review.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

I agree with much of what Russ said, you caught some good action, but need to work on framing. They all also seem a bit underexposed for me on my calibrated monitor.

Matt

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:56 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Agreed Matt. This aligns with my take on them too. Things were getting too noisy. I might try an 800 shutter or play around more in post which I tried avoiding. I want to get to the point of only cropping in post or slight wb/noise adjustments if necessary.
Thanks for the feedback

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:18 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Hey, Kris, thanks for sharing.

The first thing I can say (and what I mentioned in my PM) is number your shots to make it easier to give specific comments.

Might want to review this great thread, also : https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/775155/

In general, you did well. Exposure is OK, but a little dark. Also in general, cutting off parts of the ball, fingers, hands or toes, is not optimal. Unless shooting really loose, much of basketball is vertical, so don't hesitate to shoot vertical (NB: I just saw Mr. Isabella said the same thing above…).

At this level 1/800s should be ok to stop the action. I have shot pro and college hoops as low as 1/640s back in the days of using 1D MkIIn's, and it was fine.

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:49 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hershey Centre: NBL Canada. C&C please

Hey Dennis. I really appreciate the advice, thanks!

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.