New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Stumped. And sad :(

bryanlindsey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stumped. And sad :(

So, Nikon 50mm/f1.4 AND Nikon 28mm/f2.8 are giving the EE error on my D700 body. Aperture rings are locked, and I cleaned the contacts on the lenses and the body. I have also tried the lenses on my D300 body, with the following results:

D300 + 50mm = Good
D300 + 28mm = Good
D700 + 50mm = EE
D700 + 28mm = EE
D700 + 70-200mm = Good
D700 + 28-70mm = Good

Any ideas? Or am I stuck with sending the D700 body to Nikon? Thanks

Jan 05, 2014 at 12:58 PM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stumped. And sad :(

Sounds like they need a trip to the Lens Hospital.

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:05 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stumped. And sad :(

bent aperture lever? All other lenses don't have one as they are af-s. But I don't know much, so take it for a guess.

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:13 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stumped. And sad :(

You did set everything to smallest aperture before connecting to your D700?

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:50 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stumped. And sad :(

^^that too

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:53 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stumped. And sad :(

MikeW wrote:
bent aperture lever? All other lenses don't have one as they are af-s. But I don't know much, so take it for a guess.

All Nikon lenses have a mechanical aperture lever, except the PC-E lenses and the new 800mm f5.6.

If all lenses are doing the same thing, check the AI linkage on the camera body - it's a black plastic ring that slides around the lens mount opening, with a little protruding tab that's normally at the one o'clock position (as you look at the front of the camera). If this gets stuck (or broken) the camera can't tell what the aperture on the lens is set at with older lenses.

If only some lenses are doing it, check the lens aperture linkages on the camera body and the lenses as Mike suggested. You might also take a close look at the contact blocks on the lenses, to make sure they aren't cracked or broken.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:37 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stumped. And sad :(

molson wrote:
check the AI linkage on the camera body - it's a black plastic ring that slides around the lens mount opening, with a little protruding tab that's normally at the one o'clock position (as you look at the front of the camera).

YES!!! Thank you!

The tab is getting stuck in the 11 o'clock position. I can fix it by "helping" it to the 1 o'clock position before mounting the lens, however it seems to default to 11 o'clock when it should default to 1 o'clock. Is there a fix for this? Or do I just need to remember to reset the tab before mounting a new lens?

Thanks!!!

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:02 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stumped. And sad :(

bryanlindsey wrote:
YES!!! Thank you!

The tab is getting stuck in the 11 o'clock position. I can fix it by "helping" it to the 1 o'clock position before mounting the lens, however it seems to default to 11 o'clock when it should default to 1 o'clock. Is there a fix for this? Or do I just need to remember to reset the tab before mounting a new lens?

Thanks!!!

Sounds like the spring for it broke or is off.

It's still a problem but only if you plan to resell the camera or use the aperture ring on the lens. Otherwise just reset it and use the command dials.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:29 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stumped. And sad :(

Hmm, I was working with a friend videographer earlier this week and he ran into the same problem with his D800 at one point.

What happened was that he was in the middle of shooting, and had his D800 off. He turned it back on and he was getting the "EE" even though his 16-35/4 was attached. Turned it off/on and same thing. Tried my 85/1.4 and 24/1.4 on his D800, same problem. He mentioned something about his D600 having the same problem also.

Luckily though, I had my D800 (was shooting with my D4) with me and he was able to shoot the rest of his stuff with that.

Anyone else having the same trouble?

Will check out the tab thing with him.

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.