Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

MRomine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

mawz wrote:
The only mirrorless camera's really in the running as a replacement for a pro DSLR are the E-M1 and GH3, neither of which can quite match a pro DSLR in IQ (they can however deliver better IQ than a D300).

So in you opinion where does IQ of the EM1 fall on the Nikon body scale of things? Better than the D300 but less than the....?

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:58 PM
pcrit
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

Look what I started but very interesting discussion. So, would you sell a D300s for an EM1? My biggest concern is not buying the body but new lenses to go with it but my primary goal is a light system at a reasonable price with great results.

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:41 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

MRomine wrote:
So in you opinion where does IQ of the EM1 fall on the Nikon body scale of things? Better than the D300 but less than the....?

Less than the D7000, but not by much. You get the same resolution or a bit more and almost as much dynamic range, but it's a bit noisier and the files get crunchy if pushed too much.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:19 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

pcrit wrote:
Look what I started but very interesting discussion. So, would you sell a D300s for an EM1? My biggest concern is not buying the body but new lenses to go with it but my primary goal is a light system at a reasonable price with great results.

The question then is what lenses are you using currently.

The m43 system has a few must-buys. The 25/1.4, the 75/1.8 and the 60/2.8 macro.

What I'd recommend now is the E-M1 with the 12-40/2.8 and the Panasonic 35-100/2.8, add the 25/1.4 as a fast normal and then look at your needs to round out the system.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:21 PM
pcrit
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I just have the kit lens that came with the Epl5, I believe it's a 14-42 &40-150. I plan on buying the Olympus 45mm 1.8 first as I will mainly be doing portrait work I think. I am on a tight budget right now but once wedding season kicks in and I find myself liking the camera I will invest more. It's more of a trial basis at the moment and if it works out I will invest in better glass. Thanks for the advice on must have lenses.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I too am getting into m43 due to:
- Lighter and more compact kit than my D800-based FX gear
- m43 sensors have become good-enough for a lot of what I shoot
- m43 native lenses have gotten pretty good
- great AF speed AND accuracy with latest bodies & lenses
- IBIS on GX7 is great for my F-mount MF lenses (Oly bodies even better)

I now have:
G5 + 14-42II (for the family use and video)
GX7 + 20/1.7II + 8/3.5 FE + 12-35/2.8 + 75/1.8
I will likely get the 7-14/4 Pany and the 45/1.8 Oly at some point

I likely won't be ditching my FX gear anytime soon as the D800 sensor is fantastic and there are FX lenses that m43 just cannot touch (nor will they anytime soon if ever). In fact I'm going to get rid of all my FX zooms (except 70-200/4) and keep my primes.

- John

Edited on Jan 06, 2014 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:57 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

mawz wrote:
Doesn't get results is a completely defensible take on the situation. The only mirrorless camera's really in the running as a replacement for a pro DSLR are the E-M1 and GH3, neither of which can quite match a pro DSLR in IQ (they can however deliver better IQ than a D300). They will generally match in responsiveness and AF-S performance and do offer a proper lens lineup (particularly the fast zooms that are the go-to lenses for most working pro's). Neither are really there yet if you shoot AF-C/continuous drive a lot though.

The NEX-7 and A7 are not in the
...Show more

See to me, i feel it's the exact inverse of what you're saying....the IQ part is easy....the em-1, em-5, and gh3, are all going to look the same as a D7000, D300, D700, D3, D3s, D4, etc, up to about iso 1600......they're really pretty good. But AF is EVERYTHING...Contrast detect is just not up to par with phase detection (speed wise), and in low light, it's over....i've shot both, i've tried em, and it's just not there. AF-S is nothing. AF-C is what matters. Like i said before, for portraits, AF-S might do the job, and for commercial work like architecture, macro work, bowls of fruit, etc.....but i've never met a photographer that didn't have to shoot AF-C for a wedding at one point or another during the day....

Also, one point of versatility that m4/3's SYSTEMS fall short in, is with their flashes....Olympus has the FL-600R....sure it does wireless, but the AF assist is simply an LED that puts out a HORRID light so your contrast detect AF can focus....might as well shine a flashlight....Nikon and Canon flashes output a red AF assist grid, that is FAR less noticeable, and doesn't catch you off guard, and literally will focus on a white wall with no contrast in the pitch of dark....Contrast detection can't do that, b/c even once you light up the wall, there's no contrast to lock on to....substitute the wall in this example for a groom's tux jacket......in the heat of battle if you have to get the shot, and your AF point lands on a blank section of jacket, contrast detect will be out of luck, even with that olympus AF assist LED....

Also, the X-Pro1 and the EM-1 are the only mirrorless cameras that i know of that have a PC connection to attach a Pocketwizard, or other radio trigger.....The fuji EF42 looks good enough, but again, no PC connection, and it doesn't do wireless like the FL-600 from olympus does.....again, versatility.....

Also, two words......BATTERY LIFE....i can shoot like 4,000 shots on my D3, and like 2,000+ on my D700......the X-Pro1 gets you like between 300 and 1,000 shots, depending on if you use the optical VF only, or the EVF...The Olympus EM5 and EM1 are BOTH right around 350 shots....

DUAL CARD SLOTS

The longest and fastest lens you can get for a m4/3 is a 200mm equiv at f/2.8....if you want to use the 4/3's system adapters, you can go longer/faster, but the glass is STUPID expensive, you lose the small size benefits, and the AF speed really is affected with the adapter....

Fuji, forget it....you're stuck with f/4.8 and f/6.7 once you get to longer focal lengths....useless....

I'm sure i could dig up other issues, but these are big things to a wedding/event shooter...again, mirrorless isn't there yet for weddings/events.

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pcrit
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

John, glad you like it and it works for you. I am not ditching my FX like you and agree both have a certain place. Nathan, I agree and m4/3 is not near the level of FX and may never be. I am only trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to sell off some items I don't need or use much and to have a smaller and lighter setup that will work with most of what I will shoot.

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:27 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

Like Nathan said - for AFS-C m43 is not in the same league, but for AF-S applications it's more than fast enough and it's also very very accurate and reliable. I've never had to worry about AF fine tune or forward/back focusing. It does start to fall down in very low light, but so has my D800 . . . .

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:36 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

Note also there's the FL-50R flash if you need a real pro flash, it's comparable to an SB900 or 580EXII. The FL-600R is a compact flash with similar output but without the recharge rate and proper AF assist. Frankly if you actually look at the full system the Oly flash system is ahead of Canon, but behind Nikon (Nobody's matched CLS yet).

There's a heck of a lot more to pro work than wedding/events. There's a lot of pro shooters out there who do little to no event or wedding work. It's a mistake to assume that what doesn't work for your sort of work can be generalized to pro work overall.

Also I find it interesting that AF-C is now considered necessary for weddings, a type of work that was dominated by manual focus medium format SLR's until relatively recently (as in 10 years ago)

Jan 06, 2014 at 06:17 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

mawz wrote:
Also I find it interesting that AF-C is now considered necessary for weddings, a type of work that was dominated by manual focus medium format SLR's until relatively recently (as in 10 years ago)

Right now most of the wedding photographers have become spray and pray variety. There are still the ones who time their shots and compose them, but they are far between. For the cut throat rate of $500 for a wedding with a CD of 2000 images, I guess a spray and pray type will out bid the patient photographer. I guess the art of timing is now being lost.

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

mawz wrote:

It's a wonderful tool to be able to get in focus moving subjects when shooting wide open, this opens up another segment of creativity that we previously didn't have.

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:29 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

Actually you can spray and pray just as much with any current m4/3 body, as you can with a D3...notice i didn't mention in my list of dslr advantages, that continuous shooting rate was one of them....continuous AF doesnt mean spray and pray...or even continuous shooting if any speed for that matter...it just means you care about having moving subjects in focus...

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:09 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

NathanHamler wrote:
Actually you can spray and pray just as much with any current m4/3 body, as you can with a D3...notice i didn't mention in my list of dslr advantages, that continuous shooting rate was one of them....continuous AF doesnt mean spray and pray...or even continuous shooting if any speed for that matter...it just means you care about having moving subjects in focus...

As a long-time mirrorless shooter (got on the wagon in January 2009 with a Panasonic G1, most recently with a E-M5 and I still use a NEX-5R alongside my D600), while mirrorless offers great continuous shooting rates the LV feed interuptions make them significantly more difficult to track action with. Continuous anything is an issue with mirrorless (be it AF-C or continuous drive).

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:47 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password