Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

pcrit
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I hope this is in the right forum but I go through this about once a year when I feel like I need a change and most of the time it's not necessary. To give a little background I shoot mainly as a hobby but do work part time as a wedding assistant and use mostly their equipment will sometimes use mine but not often. I will shoot a few weddings on my own and some portrait sessions and looking to do more on my own this season. Here is my dilemma, I am tired of lugging around two huge bags of gear to mostly the non paid shoots and looking to simplify. My current setup is (I realize it is too much but will use most on occasion). Bodies

Main Body Nikon D3s. second Nikon D3
Spare or second shooter Nikon D300s/D5100
Lenses: Nikon 24-120mm f4, 70-200 VR II, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm macro, Sigma 17-35mm
Backup lenses not used much 24-120mmVR (not f4), 28-105mm, 70-300mm vr, 50mm 1.8, 28-200
Flashes 2 Nikon SB-910 & 2 Quantum Trio

I know....way too much!!!!!!!!!!

I am selling the D5100 and possibly the D300s as I want something really light for my personal use and occasional event use.

I just bought an Olympus Epl5 to replace the D5100 and wondering if I should get an Olympus E-M1?

Has anybody switched to only 4/3 or use it most of the time now? I hate the idea of two systems but thinking I want to travel light and sell of gear I am not using much. Any thoughts and sorry for the long post.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:04 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I am also open to selling the D3 & D300s and just having the D3s as a main body but there are many times I have both with a 24-70mm and 70-200 or other combo but it is HEAVY!!!!!! I have so much committed to Nikon and would never give it up but mainly looking for a much lighter system with great quality. My main thought is sell off the D300s and lenses I don't need and try a 4/3 system with Olympus E-M1 as main and I have an epl5 as my travel/backup

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:08 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I have a D3s as my main body with a bunch of lenses. When I want to travel light I grab my Fuji X100s. I'd highly recommend the Fuji X cameras for traveling light.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:15 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

We actually just added the Fuji X system to our gear. We shoot weddings and kids and during the week I do corporate photography. These past 2 weeks I got by just fine with the XE1 and XE2 I kept some of my nikon gear as I can use the lenses as manual on the Fuji with an adapter.

I love it as it is so much lighter, images are just as good as my nikons and I like the old school retro feel in my hands.

At the end of the day, my back does not hurt like it used to and I can carry 2 bodies and 4 lenses and it feels like 1 nikon body and 1 lens.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Christian S
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

D7000 is not small enough? I just grabbed another @$699 new, I missed it so much. It is not a D300 in size if you have not used one. The 35f1.8 is glued to mine and it goes with me everywhere. I would not sell your D3/D3s combo for event work.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:26 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I keep hearing lots of great things about the Fuji X but just bought an Olympus Epl5 but I can return it. I don't think I am giving up on the D3s/D3 but just want another smaller system. I had the D7000 and liked it but prefer the handling of the D300s. Any thoughts on the Olympus vs. Fuji?

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:29 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I cant get on board with ANY micro 4/3's bodies, or fuji, or anything else for SERIOUS wedding or event work...i hate to use the word "joke" when talking about mirrorless bodies for event work, but it's the best word that comes to mind...the responsiveness and VERSATILITY just isnt there compared to a Nikon or Canon dslr system....it may work for a strictly portrait shooter, or commercial shooter for times when stuff is more calculated and controlled, but mirrorless bodies right now just cant compete in terms of being incredibly versatile and being able to do ANYTHING on a day like a wedding. I know some will do it, and prob get great results, but i cant get on board just yet...

Maybe ADD a small fuji or olympus body to your kit, but dont switch totally...

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:32 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I am not switching but just want a smaller and lighter system for my personal work, travel, and small shoots. I know the new 4/3 bodies have come a long way but I could not shoot a wedding with one because I just am not that familiar with them and don't have the lenses and flash system. Having said that I have way too much gear and think I can sell off some to invest in trying out to see if it will be a great option for me. I am looking for opinions on anyone that has done the same or what you would sell off.

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

that all depends on just how deep you think you want to go with it.
I have no issue as I started out with an OM-1 38years ago. I had opportunity to give it a whirl
and she feels great a long as you don't have big hands. as to selling off, I tend to minimize my gear
as I am not a collector. it would be fairly had to off load any of what I have though I have a 300/2.8G
i'm not using these days.

you do have a few lenses that are as you say backups. if either the D300s or the D3 if not both have
grass growing under them then you have your answer. no tool carries a place in my heart.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/best_new_camera_of_2013.shtml

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:02 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

You might find this thread helpful: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1262551

I'm giving serious thought to making a switch too. I shoot D4, D3s, weddings. Everything that I'm reading about the E-M1 is that it is ever bit as responsive, AF speed and AF focus acquire, as any dSLR. The big question, does the IQ match up to your expectations and needs?

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

it is iso limited to about 3200. the sony to me after handling it in japan was like eating something too sweet. really great in the beginning then it sinks in about the real world limitations. that nasty aftertaste.

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:31 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I have a panasonic gf2 that i use for personal stuff, i have an olympus 15mm f/8 body cap lens that stays on it for anything outdoors...works amazing....indoors i have a 17mm 2.8..it's ok, the high iso of the gf2 is pretty terrible....but the body-cap lens is awesome..so freeing to not even focus anything, just shoot.....it's a different mindset, but it's fun...total contrast to a big kit like you have (myself as well)...

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:50 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I bought the M1 and returned it after 5 days of use.
It's a great camera, but you have just no nice out of focus areas. IQ looks digitally/compactcamera (but it's fairly clean). Autofocus was just not good. Video was very good for run and gun style. But the grip was just awefull, it was too small and felt bad in my medium-sized hands. 10fps was pretty nice, but useless because of unusable af-c. Even with this 2000 camera in my bag (was a 5-day holliday) I kept using my girlfriends 250 V1 because of the faster autofocus and film-like looking images (not usefull for cropping).
I didn't like it, but I know someone that also bought it and loved it (it was a girl with smaller hands and she was used to a 60D). So I would suggest to try it out and see for yourself.
I really like the Fuji X100s btw. Don't own it, too many gear for now.

My travelkit is a Nikon V1 with 10-30mm and my Lumia 1020. Really liking both! Great controls on the lumia and amazing auto-setting from the V1 made me use these and not a bigger 4/3 or fuji system.

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:59 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

That is the huge issue for me right now as none of the 4/3 feel comfortable to me at all. I have a Nikon J3 and it's just way too small but nice for travel but I can't justify so returning it. The epl5 is better but still doesn't feel right at all and could not see shooting for hours with it. I am going to get the bigger grip for it and see if that helps and hearing lots of good things about the E-M1 and how much better it feels. It looks like maybe just keep the epl5 for my light work and the D33/D3 for my main gigs and sell off the rest and keep the cash.

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:06 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

pcrit wrote:
I am tired of lugging around two huge bags of gear to mostly the non paid shoots and looking to simplify.

Instead of changing gear, you should change the way you utilize your current gear. If you're out on a "non paid shoot", just take the D5100 and the 24-120, that should be good and small enough since it's a non-paying gig after all.

Main Body Nikon D3s. second Nikon D3
Spare or second shooter Nikon D300s/D5100

I just bought an Olympus Epl5 to replace the D5100 and wondering if I should get an Olympus E-M1?

I think it's okay if your main bodies for work are D3s & D3 and use the Micro4/3 for play time, but it's always better if your spare bodies are Nikon so they can readily use your lenses. While it's highly unlikely that your two pro bodies will fail, it CAN happen, and you don't want to shoot a whole wedding on a toy camera. I think you're just itching to go shopping (don't we all? ) if that's the case, then just go and buy it, lol

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:25 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

NathanHamler wrote:
I cant get on board with ANY micro 4/3's bodies, or fuji, or anything else for SERIOUS wedding or event work...i hate to use the word "joke" when talking about mirrorless bodies for event work, but it's the best word that comes to mind...the responsiveness and VERSATILITY just isnt there compared to a Nikon or Canon dslr system....it may work for a strictly portrait shooter, or commercial shooter for times when stuff is more calculated and controlled, but mirrorless bodies right now just cant compete in terms of being incredibly versatile and being able to do ANYTHING on a day
...Show more

You clearly haven't used the latest m43 bodies. The E-M1 in particular is just as responsive as any comparable DSLR and there's a very versatile lens system available. NEX or X system are another story, where the lack of pro zooms and full-featured flash systems are telling but the m43 system from olympus is not in the same situation (Panasonic lacks full support for the E System flashes but is otherwise comparable to Oly).

I've personally just moved to FX from an E-M5, but my main reasons for moving were handling (the E-M1 is a LOT better than the E-M5 here as well), viewfinder (E-M5's EVF is inferior to E-M1's or D600's OVF) and my liking for classic MF primes and high-end wide-range zooms (a la 24-120 and 24-85, no comparable analog exists in the m43 system, 12-50 is a dog outside of macro range).

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:26 PM
txstubby

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

For relatively static shots I struggle to tell the difference between images taken with a Fuji X-E2 and a D800E. Even in difficult lighting situations the Fuji performs much better that I expected and on par with the D800E.

The Fuji has it's limitations, the AF performance is Ok but not great, the EVF is Ok but has a little lag in low light situations.

The Fuji complements my existing Nikon gear, it is compact, light and discrete. I wouldn't sell my Nikon gear as there are a lot of things the Fuji cannot do but in a some situations I will take out the Fuji in preference to the Nikon. The only downside with the Fuji is that people keep asking me if I'm still shooting film.

For professional work I suspect the real problem with Fuji or Olympus is customer expectations, a photographer with a big expensive SLR must obviously produce better work than someone with a small mirrorless camera.

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:45 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

I couldn't agree more and it's a shame that image is everything sometimes. I would love to use only a smaller setup that can produce the same results. Each has it's own place but it seems that m43 is catching up and becoming a contender and a viable option for some situations.

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:51 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

mawz wrote:
You clearly haven't used the latest m43 bodies. The E-M1 in particular is just as responsive as any comparable DSLR and there's a very versatile lens system available. NEX or X system are another story, where the lack of pro zooms and full-featured flash systems are telling but the m43 system from olympus is not in the same situation (Panasonic lacks full support for the E System flashes but is otherwise comparable to Oly).

I kinda agree with Nathan. It's a bit exagerated, but in the end a M1 doesn't give me the results I can get with my DSLR at the same speed and consistantcy. 4/3 is fine for portraits and hobbyists, but they cannot compete with a professional DSLR. I know 3 people that bought into mirrorless as a professional camera and neither still uses them for their professional work. (NEX 7, EM1 and A7) Lots of occasional shooters did like the switch, but that was 99% because of weight. Which is the only reason I personally would consider mirrorless.

Jan 05, 2014 at 06:13 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sell my D300s or D3 for Olympus E-M1?????????

playerofwar wrote:
I kinda agree with Nathan. It's a bit exagerated, but in the end a M1 doesn't give me the results I can get with my DSLR at the same speed and consistantcy. 4/3 is fine for portraits and hobbyists, but they cannot compete with a professional DSLR. I know 3 people that bought into mirrorless as a professional camera and neither still uses them for their professional work. (NEX 7, EM1 and A7) Lots of occasional shooters did like the switch, but that was 99% because of weight. Which is the only reason I personally would consider mirrorless.

Doesn't get results is a completely defensible take on the situation. The only mirrorless camera's really in the running as a replacement for a pro DSLR are the E-M1 and GH3, neither of which can quite match a pro DSLR in IQ (they can however deliver better IQ than a D300). They will generally match in responsiveness and AF-S performance and do offer a proper lens lineup (particularly the fast zooms that are the go-to lenses for most working pro's). Neither are really there yet if you shoot AF-C/continuous drive a lot though.

The NEX-7 and A7 are not in the same league, great sensors but the bodies are limited in what they can do compared to the E-M1 or GH3. Unless you are a landscape shooter neither is really well suited to professional usage.

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password