Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Looking back 10 years...

lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking back 10 years...

Just thinking back 10 years ago when I joined FM. I joined for the weekly assignments, and Nikon gear talk. And I still poke my nose around here, although perhaps not as active as some.

So what was I shooting 10 years ago... Nikon D100 kit with 28-100mm lens. I remember some of the wonderful images I made with that camera, and how much further I have advanced in 10 years. I had no idea really what I was doing back then, but after joining a camera club, I started to realize what kind of photography appealed to me. I gained skills in different shooting situations, eventually went on to become the president of that club, and became a photography judge for club competitions. Its been a great ride...and looking forward to the next 10 years.

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:13 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking back 10 years...

Hey David, congrats on your "decade" of FM (right behind ya)
I was shooting an EOS 620 & the new Drebel w/100-300 f5.6L when I joined.
Seems like ancient history, eh?!

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking back 10 years...

Right on, darn I was asleep when my 10year came around. I started with a D100 and 50f1.4. Who knew we would have such great tools today. I crapped my pants when I got my D3 and to this day I am after my wife's bosses D700 that he used twice and wants to sell. These two bodies changed the Nikon shooting world and were pretty much problem free. It has been a fun ride. Cheers to another 10 great years.

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:28 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking back 10 years...

Indeed....that D3/D700 sensor is probably one of the best things to come in a decade! I also have to say...it might be old by todays standards, but my D2h was probably my favourite! Fast camera, small RAW files which went a long way for upscaling large prints..

But alas, I love my D800, and very soon I will be getting a Df.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking back 10 years...

great topic LX, my 10 year is 8 months away. I too have fallen out of regular visits to FM but I really still enjoy the site. My first kit was the D70 18-70 and NAS set in from there. Currently clickin on an 800e and a beloved D1X.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:24 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking back 10 years...

Hey David, congrats. It has been a while on FM, and it is still among the best if not the best forum out there. I remember when I started lurking when I bought my first DSLR, the D70 with the 18-70. I also remember my first long trip with that camera has been to Toronto, and that you advised me to get a 35-70 2.8 in that period... We all acquired some more gear in the meantime

Guy

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:49 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking back 10 years...

Oh I so agree with you regarding the D2H, I still get tempted to pull the trigger on a used One, especially for black and white images. I think I owned 5 over a period of time. And the beloved D1X. I never owned one but also get tempted to pick one up for a small museum of our past, ..

Jan 05, 2014 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking back 10 years...

I shot with a 1d classic. I loved that camera.

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:28 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking back 10 years...

Prior to my Nikon, I had a Ricoh 500g rangefinder, and a Sony F707 digital camera

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking back 10 years...

Having shot Nikon film cameras since 1968 it was a "brave new" digital world 10 years ago when I joined FM after having bought a D100. It replaced my first digital camera, a 1MP toy from H-P that came "free" with a new computer.

The D100 got the nod after I eliminated the Kodak SL-N for reasons of image quality troubles that were being discussed and price.

Have pretty much had most of the Nikons since then and now with D800 and D800E.

Still PATIENTLY waiting for Nikon to refresh the T/S line with parallel axis offerings like Canon and a 17mm. C'mon Nikon!

Jan 06, 2014 at 08:33 PM
JohnC
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking back 10 years...

I shot Nikon film cameras from 74 to late nineties. My interest in photography was petering out until I got a Canon D30 here on the buy and sell board. Gradually got rid of my Nikons and went through Canons until the D800 came out. Now I have it and a Df and completely switched back last year. I think full frame dslrs are going to be a specialty item in the next 10 years as most enthusiasts seem to be going mirrorless and compact.

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:42 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking back 10 years...

I remember 2003 (it's been 10 years? oh my!), I was still shooting my trusty F100 - all my friends had gone digital, but I held on! It was that Christmas, that I received a D2H from my parents (combined family present for xmas and b-day of that year) - I was SUPER excited to finally go digital.

Later in Spring/Summer of 2004, I also decided to invest in a set of retiring Hasselblads from a studio going digital. I was a very happy camper, doing a lot of portraits on film, both 35mm, and 2-1/4", and a lot of sports and events for my university newspaper on my D2h. Eventually, started teaching a mini-courses in photography in 2005 - both for students, student groups, and faculty/staff groups interested.

My hobby was pretty much self-supporting - from head shots and art portfolio shoots, to little courses, I was making enough income to pay for film, developing, and the occasional lens purchases. (Not including the Hassies)

Life was much simpler then… and school (undergrad) wasn't nearly as demanding as it is now (Doc program), and I had so much more time to shoot! Ah… the good'ol'days…

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:11 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking back 10 years...

I was shooting software boxes with a D1x and feeling like I had seen God himself with non-liquid post work and images pooping out in my office.

In some ways... I don't look forward to anymore of this.

We've gone from major advances... to, by and large, cosmetic changes, and a flood of models that really... Offer up much the same.

Either blow my skirt up proper, or stop trying.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking back 10 years...

2004 or 10 year ago from this year I was handed a Canon 1Ds to use for 30 days. I had been shooting F5 film and scanning and some Digital point and shoots. the 1Ds was an eye opener it did draw me over to going full digital. reclaimed about 100 sq ft of basement space which was promptly backfilled with other junk. I did 5 years with Canon with more then my share of trials and tribulations using them. my tumultuous affair ended with the 1D3. went to Nikon and haven't looked back.

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password