Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

slrl0ver
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

All,

Has anyone tried using the Android Nikon DSLR Dashboard (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=57c6c5bafe8e6a08a27856215d77f20d&t=1256583) on the D800 or D800e with results DIFFERENT than the built-in LiveView?

I'm thinking of getting a D800 or D800e but the sticking point for me is the interpolated LiveView implementation. I know that one can turn up the JPEG sharpness to get an almost usable LV, but I was hoping for clarity similar to what the 5DMK2 delivered.

Thanks,
slrl0ver

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:43 AM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #2 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

I've used this with my D700, so I can't comment on the D800 issue... But, I will say that prior to finding this app, there was only one reason I could ever justify having an android tablet (The Torque app,) but this app definitely creates a second reason. Even though it's in it's infancy, and not without it's quirks, it greatly extends the usability of DSLRs.

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:04 AM
plubbry
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

It would seem that using an external monitor for Live View on the D800(e) will give you the same line skipping problems as using the rear display on the camera. So no improvement.

FYI, snapsy confirms this: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150293/0

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:42 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #4 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

Hi,

Turn up the jpeg sharpness to improve the live view quality? If I may ask, how do you do this, and what does it affect?

I use a D800 as a studio camera shooting tethered, and the low quality of image preview makes it difficult to get the focus right, and...

On your question, I tried dslr controller when I first got a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0, and it seemed like the display issues were about the same as I was seeing with the the ControlMyNikon software tool I I've been using to shoot tethered with the D800, but that was a while ago.

I was actually going to play with this some more in the next day or two. I was going to use this app so I could tether wirelessly to a tablet so I could carry the tablet around when tweaking things/focusing, but haven't tried it yet because I haven't had the time to hack the nook HD+ I was going to use as the display so I could sideload the app (story deleted), flash some new code into a wireless hotspot to hook to the camera, etc. The frame rate gets even slower when you do this, but shouldn't be a much of a problem in my application.

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

slrl0ver wrote:
All,

I'm thinking of getting a D800 or D800e but the sticking point for me is the interpolated LiveView implementation. I know that one can turn up the JPEG sharpness to get an almost usable LV, but I was hoping for clarity similar to what the 5DMK2 delivered.

Thanks,
slrl0ver

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JoshI
• •
p.1 #5 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

rkgatteleport wrote:
Turn up the jpeg sharpness to improve the live view quality? If I may ask, how do you do this, and what does it affect?

This may be poor form to link out, but check here:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120618_4-NikonD800-PictureControl.html

Jan 05, 2014 at 06:41 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

rkgatteleport wrote:
Hi,

I cover this in my video here.

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:03 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #7 · D800 LiveView with Nikon DSLR Dashboard?

Thanks guys - I appreciate you risking a threadjack to answer the question, although it does speak to the original question - there's no difference....

I wonder if the Sony A7/A7R has the same crappy live view implementation/might be a better choice for slrOver if he wants a more easily usable live view.

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password