New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · weird experience with larson

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · weird experience with larson

So...I love larson. I have a couple reflectors and a 4x6 softbox but recently bought a 72" reflector and a 24" reflector. Paid for them in early november. After multiple emails, no status on shipping or availability. Card was charged at the time of purchase. Today I called amx and disputed the charges. This is actually the 2nd time I've had an issue with them. Are they having issues or are they just understaffed and slow to respond to customers?

I still think their softboxes are the best but what gives?

Jan 03, 2014 at 09:51 PM
jmmaher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · weird experience with larson

Apparently an issue with ownership I read on a After Dark forum. Such as shame as the products are very good.

Jan 04, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · weird experience with larson

Their Facebook page and some other stuff I read show Larson Enterprises to be in the midst of a drawn out legal battle. Has to do with a very messy divorce between the owners who I guess are trying to split up assets. No one at this moment has any idea of who will assume control of the company.

I too was looking to spend some money with them but have decided to invest elsewhere. Good product but there are many people with problems of no delivery, no refunds and no one to address their complaints.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:25 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · weird experience with larson

Wow, didn't realize all this. This must have been going on for a while. This actually wasn't my first "weird" experience with them. About 6 months ago, i called them up and ordered a 4x6 softbox.

They told me they would rush it and it would be ready in 2 weeks. After a month I still had not received any communication with them so I called them and they had no idea when it would be ready. I canceled the order and they said they would refund my card.

After a couple weeks, I still had not gotten a refund so I called them back and was told someone would have to get back to me.

Another few days go by and I call them again and they said that someone would get back to me but I told them i needed to have a refund situation taken care of immediately so they put me on hold and someone else looked me up and didn't know why I hadn't gotten a refund yet and told me they would mail me a check. I told her I didn't want a check and I wanted the money refunded to my card. (I didn't want to risk a bounced check) She indicated she was processing the refund while I was on the phone and gave me a confirmation #.

Another week goes by and I still do not see the refund on my account so I call american express customer support and give them the confirmation # and was told they don't have any confirmation numbers that start with the prefix I had been given.

So finally I issued a dispute and after a month, got my account credited from american express.

This all happened before the issue I posted about in thread #1.

In terms of going elsewhere, to my knowledge, nobody makes a 4x6 with the characteristics of the larson do they?

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:08 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · weird experience with larson

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/119022-REG/Chimera_1145_Super_Pro_Plus_Softbox.html

I'm sure the Chimera would work just a well.

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:37 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · weird experience with larson

Gregg Heckler wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/119022-REG/Chimera_1145_Super_Pro_Plus_Softbox.html

I'm sure the Chimera would work just a well.

No it won't. It's a deeper box and more bell shaped than the larson. The larson has a very specific look due to the geometry and the light falloff.

The more bell-like softboxes have a totally different falloff look and can't be used in the same way.

Jan 10, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · weird experience with larson

Plume Wafer 200? Have you looked at the shallow Chimera version?

Jan 14, 2014 at 07:22 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · weird experience with larson

Waki wrote:
Plume Wafer 200? Have you looked at the shallow Chimera version?

what are the specs on the plume? It appears to be fatter, depth-wise. Couldn't find the exact chimera. You have a link? This one looks promising but doesn't have the spill rim.

Aurora LBDR1218S
http://www.henrys.com/72439-AURORA-LBDR1218S-SILVER-REC-BOX-48X72.aspx

Jan 14, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · weird experience with larson

Their site says its 53x75x26 where 26 is depth. Their baffles though make a difference in how even the light is and probably affect the fall off as well. I don't own it so its hard for me to say. It is a softbox that interests me. I think plumeltd.com gets you the specs. I was comparing this to the Larson which is why I had the numbers scribbled on my scratch pad.

I just remember seeing Chimera shallow softboxes, but not anything in particular about them. You'd have to hit their site or look on B&H at their specs.

Good luck.

Edit: The Aurora is like 4x cheaper than the Plume....I'd like to check out the Aurora line before buying but the close distributor is almost 2 hrs away. I've used a Rime-Lite Grand 79" 16 ribbed softbox and really like it. It looks like the same Korean company is supplying Aurora.

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:01 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · weird experience with larson

With Larson and for getting classic lighting you don't want to use the baffles. when you use larson without baffles it has some unique properties.

What you do is set the softbox up at a right angle to the subject and then with the back of the softbox even with the subject's shoulder and then about 2-3 feet away.

Then if you take a reading of the center of the softbox where the light is you might get say F16. And if you move 2 feet back you will get F11 and 2 feet further back (where the subject is) you will get F8.

Now, if you take a group shot, because of these properties, the entire group (up to 4-5 people) will get the same exposure because as you move further away from the light, the "hotter" segment of the softbox illuminates the subject.

If you put a baffle in the light, you even the light out so that it will be more even from edge to edge but then in a group shot each subject will be progressively more dark. Additionally, you lesson the contrast so that the classic shadows of the Zeitzman/Drake/Monte lighting are not as nice.

IMO of course...

This is also why a standard 4x6 with a bell curve doesn't work as well for portraits.

Darton Drake has a video out on this somewhere....

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · weird experience with larson

No argument I was just mentioning the baffles and how they are different. I shoot with and without baffles, depending on what I want and I tended to use the 4x6 Larson in the co-op studio I used to belong to in pretty much the same manner as you outlined. But not every time.

Westcott makes a shallow model too, http://fjwestcott.com/product/westcott-pro-54-x-72-shallow-softbox-with-silver-interior
I don't know a thing about it but it might suit your needs too. The above is silver lined but they offer white too I believe.

Jan 14, 2014 at 02:16 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · weird experience with larson

that westcott looks good. Thanks for the link. I hope someone clones the larson softbox and reflectors if they're out of business.

Jan 14, 2014 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.