New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

The new American Girl doll for 2014 is Isabelle, a dancer. So American Girl got together with my ballet company, Ballet Chicago, for the New Year's Day promotion/announcement of the new girl/doll. Despite an overnight snowstorm and bitter frigid cold temp, people began lining up at the store at 7 a.m., two hours before it opened. BC had me shooting for them, so I brought my 9 and 11 year old girls along as well, with their favorite American girl dolls.

This shot is later in the day, so not so many people in the background. And the only reason I'm really sharing it is that I really like how I caught the spin and yet still caught her head/face locked in so she's in focus while her flowing/spinning skirt has some motion to it. Shutter speed is 1/160.

Pretty silly shot, really, especially given the environment (makeshift stage in the middle of an AG store), but thought I'd share.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/11741228926_993bf7ab47_b.jpg

Jan 03, 2014 at 06:49 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

I like, just like you planned it!!!

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:37 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

Not a silly shot at all given the context ... it tells a great story of a ballet dancer taking the time to please children ... children always love ballet dancers.

Well done.

Jan 05, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

I think one thing that makes the shot a lot stronger is when you notice the parallelism of the sign behind her and to the left.

Jan 05, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

nice catch. maybe not a wall hanger but I too like the elements you noted.

Jan 05, 2014 at 12:31 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ballet dancer spinning at American Girl store

Thanks, guys. And yeah, not a wall hanger, but I like everything about it. The poster that Evan mentioned, the kids in the background that Andre mentioned, and I liked those red ornaments hanging from the ceiling that go so well with her dress. This was their smallest crowd, bummer about that in going with this pic. But overall, given everything considered, I was pretty happy with this.

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:46 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.