Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Article

Johnny5liter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Article

Camera makers are desperately trying to stay a step ahead of smartphones—and failing

http://qz.com/163131/camera-makers-are-desperately-trying-to-stay-a-step-ahead-of-smartphones-and-failing/

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Article

I am yet to see an image from any smartphone that challenges the crappiest jpeg from any of my cameras except the 220HS - and I am surrounded by different handsets.

Yes, yes, portability. Yes, yes, some 'evocative' images are being made.

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:00 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Article

Friends of mine, who are amateur photogs with DSLR's, are using their smartphones now to upload snapshots to Facebook. I don't get it. They think it is artsy and convenient. I think, what a waste because the quality could be much better with their DSLR.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Article

I recently posted a comparison of images from a Canon ELPH 330 HS and Galaxy Note 3. The difference is huge, and not in favour of the phablet. OTOH, the P&S market is still getting wiped by the smartphones and etc.

ELPH 330 HS vs. Galaxy Note 3 http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1277151

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Article

Paul Mo wrote:
I am yet to see an image from any smartphone that challenges the crappiest jpeg from any of my cameras except the 220HS - and I am surrounded by different handsets.

I think an appropriate comparison is an image taken by a smartphone vs no image taken because the person didn't have a camera with them.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:19 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Article

You're right, of course, but it's absolutely a quantity v. quality thing going on. And, you know which one just about always wins . . .

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Article

Paul Mo wrote:

snapsy wrote:
I think an appropriate comparison is an image taken by a smartphone vs no image taken because the person didn't have a camera with them.

I'm more likely to have a camera than my GN3. Usually, it's both, or more...

Mar 02, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

halie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Article

I ought to check out the latest point and shoots, might be worth carrying instead of relying on my iPhone. My 5D Mk II and 24-105mm are light years better than my phone, but they don't fit in my pocket.

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:00 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Article

The vast majority of the public are visually illiterate and couldn't tell the difference between
a good image and a bad one. Convenience and conectitivity with social media are their top pr
iorities.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:56 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Article

What gets to me is when they don't use fill flash outdoors and their faces are very dark. Well, everyone is a photographer I guess.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Article

jim allison wrote:
The vast majority of the public are visually illiterate and couldn't tell the difference between
a good image and a bad one...

I don't agree.

jim allison wrote:
...Convenience and conectitivity with social media are their top priorities.

I do agree.

I think you'll find that most people are quite capable of identifying good images, when they're looking for something to hang on their walls. Otherwise, it doesn't matter so much.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:40 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Article

Good vs. bad images will always be subjective. A good image to me is one that I capture a moment that tells a story, brings a smile to your face, or brings back memories. Who cares where the image came from? If you're doing a photo shoot, obviously you want gear you can control the situation better with.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:11 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Article

I am not interested in smartphones for photography. I like quality photographs and good lenses that don't flare. Primes are what I like. If it is worth it to take a photograph, then I attempt to make it a good one.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:28 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password