Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

wellsjt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

I've never been to the CES show before but will be spending a few days there next week. It has been suggested to me to bring a camera into the show and I'm trying to decide what to do. They allow DSLRs in. I'm trying to find a balance between something not too heavy to walk around with and not needing to change lenses, but still try to get some decent photos.

a) Do I bring my D800 and 24-70?
b) Do I bring my D800 and a lighter lens (such as my old 28-105 which is small and light, or a 50 f/1.8 which is probably too long in the crowds, or 24 2.8)?
c) Do I bring my old D90 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which is pretty small and light in comparison to a and b above?
d) Screw it and just use my iPhone.
e) Screw it and don't bother taking photos.

Has anyone been to CES before? Is it worth bothering to bring a camera along? Suggestions on options above?

Jan 03, 2014 at 06:03 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

I usually just take a 50mm, which works for most of what I find photo worthy at the show, plus the large aperture helps for the booths with poor lighting. You may miss the one or two interesting wide shots but you can stitch for those I suppose.

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

I've been there quite a few times - and it's a zoo. I've never had much of a desire to take a camera along, but if I was taking something I'd want maybe a 16-35mm equilv. lens on a small body. It's cramped and crowded, and large gear would be a hassle.

Frankly, I've just used my iphone in the past and been happy, but I'm not shooting those shots for any publication or even web purposes.

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:46 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

yeah phone is good enough for CES

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

While you're there would you kindly stop by the Nikon booth and ask when the heck they are going to update the T/S line to include parallel axis rotation like Canon and also add a 17mm?

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:07 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

CES is fun to checkout all the new electronic gear, if you don't mind endless walking and huge crowds, but isn't the best subject for photography.

For photography around Las Vegas, I suggest the Neon Museum:
http://www.neonmuseum.org/

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:35 AM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

^^^^^^^

Don't forget the "Valley of Fire"

Reagan

Jan 04, 2014 at 06:06 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

Chaz wrote:
While you're there would you kindly stop by the Nikon booth and ask when the heck they are going to update the T/S line to include parallel axis rotation like Canon and also add a 17mm?

+100,000,000

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:56 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

What be your point in wanting to take a camera into CES? Is it for publication? If not, as cool as CES is i am not sure it would be worth the bother for just personal memories.

But, i would take your camera and a good wide angle as you can do some nice Landscape photography at both Red Rock Canyon and also out at Valley of Fire.

Jim

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:59 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions for CES in Las Vegas? Anyone been before?

Thanks for the advice all. It sounds like a big DSLR in the convention hall is a waste of effort - iPhone it is! And yes I will have my camera for other Las Vegas area shots. Thanks!

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.