FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Flying High into 2014!

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flying High into 2014!

Flying high into 2014 like this bird!

Good weekend!

From Blackwater NWR

Jan 03, 2014 at 04:28 PM
deepjay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flying High into 2014!

Kee,
Beautiful, but the specular on the bird's tail is distracting. Can you tone it down?
And, Fly high in 2014!
David

Jan 03, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flying High into 2014!

deepjay wrote:
Kee,
Beautiful, but the specular on the bird's tail is distracting. Can you tone it down?
And, Fly high in 2014!
David

Hello David,
I hear you loud and clear about the distracting specular reflection on the bird's tail. I thought that was rather interesting.
But I will tone it down. I will do so after I come back from my road trip, which I am on right now.
Thanks for checking on my image.
All the best,
Kee

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:40 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flying High into 2014!

I am sorry Kee, but this looks like the bird is pasted in. The light on the bird looks different then the scene and there is no reflection in the water. Based on the focal length and perspective in relationship between the bird and the scene there would be a reflection in the water. The sharp white edges on the bird is indicative close cutting. I would expect to see slivers of blue between the spread out features on the wings. Sorry if this is not a merge of two images but that is how it looks to me.

Jan 03, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flying High into 2014!

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I am sorry Kee, but this looks like the bird is pasted in. The light on the bird looks different then the scene and there is no reflection in the water. Based on the focal length and perspective in relationship between the bird and the scene there would be a reflection in the water. The sharp white edges on the bird is indicative close cutting. I would expect to see slivers of blue between the spread out features on the wings. Sorry if this is not a merge of two images but that is how it looks to me.
...Show more

Very interesting observation you have here, Scott Kroeker.
This is a "SINGLE SHOT"! Nothing cloned out, Nothing pasted!
Kee

Jan 04, 2014 at 02:15 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flying High into 2014!

OK. Did you by chance isolate the bird and process it differently then the rest of the scene?

Jan 04, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flying High into 2014!

Scott Kroeker wrote:
OK. Did you by chance isolate the bird and process it differently then the rest of the scene?

No, I didn't.

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flying High into 2014!

Wow...I love this shot! I can see myself sitting there by the way you captured it. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flying High into 2014!

Buckeye1 wrote:
Wow...I love this shot! I can see myself sitting there by the way you captured it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it very much. Funny that I was testing a new lens, Samyang 14mm, to compare with Nikon 14-24mm when I visited Blackwater NWR. And then I forgot all about this image until a few days ago. When I looked at the image, I was wondering where I took it. And I kind of liked it. That is a small story.

Regards,
Kee

Jan 04, 2014 at 06:44 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flying High into 2014!

David and Scott,

I processed the image from the start of RAW again with an intention of reducing the level of tone. And this is what I came with. Well.. not the best but I always try.

Kee

Jan 04, 2014 at 06:47 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flying High into 2014!

Kee,
My error--I had head and tail reversed.
I suspect that in order to get rid of the highlight you will have to paint something in with the brush in Photoshop.
David

Jan 04, 2014 at 06:57 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flying High into 2014!

Great shot, I like the use of vignetting here.
I've been meaning to visit this place but haven't yet.

David

Jan 04, 2014 at 08:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flying High into 2014!

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
[I hear you loud and clear about the distracting specular reflection on the bird's tail. I

Isn't the highlight actually on the bird's neck - not the tail?

Dan

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 07:16 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flying High into 2014!

Dan, David and Scott,
I am at the moment staying at the Chincoteague Island, VA, visiting its National Wildlife Refuge.
I am not a 'bird' person, but because of the issue with the egret in my image, yesterday I was observing the bird egrets here near the abundant swamps. Yes, they have really long necks which seem very flexible in shape! But I could not get a chance to see them in flight w.r.t. the shape of their neck while in flight. So I searched internet. Here is one similar shape to the one I captured at the Balckwater..
http://phillanoue.com/2013/02/28/february-flights/great-egret-flight-5/
I thought that there was something artifact around the neck in my image, but proved it 'not'.

As for the 'specular reflection on the bird's tail' referred by David.. I thought David meant the 'specular reflection' on the bird's wing. That.. I found the bird's wing light reflection rather interesting.

There are some miscommunications here as to which section, head or tail.. which highlight..etc.

Now trying to answer Scott on why the light on the bird looks different then the scene, I reprocessed the image. This time I tried not to overboard the contrast. As to Scott's question, why no reflection of the bird in the water.. I have no idea except that the water was rather muddy.

Today, the weather here in Chicoteague.. very cloudy, ~90% cloud. Let's see if I could capture some interesting scene of egrets and snow geese (not many as I hoped for yesterday).

Cheers!
Kee

Jan 05, 2014 at 02:57 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flying High into 2014!

(After being gently and appropriately reminded by the moderators that this is the landscape forum and not the wildlife forum, I have deleted my previous post about egrets. :-)

Dan

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flying High into 2014!

dgdg wrote:
Great shot, I like the use of vignetting here.
I've been meaning to visit this place but haven't yet.

David

Hello David,
That is right. I applied the vignetting for this image. I am glad you noticed and liked the image.
Yes, Blackwater NWR is a nice place. Very sweet, indeed.
Kee

Jan 05, 2014 at 06:07 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flying High into 2014!

I just came across this thread...beautiful capture Kee! I saw the comments about the bird lacking a reflection. I looked closely and do see what I believe is the shadow, shown below.

Regards,
Jon

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flying High into 2014!

gdanmitchell wrote:
(After being gently and appropriately reminded by the moderators that this is the landscape forum and not the wildlife forum, I have deleted my previous post about egrets. :-)

Dan

Thanks Dan for the beautiful egrets images of yours. I had opportunities of looking at those images early today.
I am very surprised to learn of the moderators intervene no matter how gently and appropriately reminded you. I do not want to go into somewhat lengthy discussion on that matter. I am very much disappointed and I am very confident why they or he comes in this way.

Anyway, whoever interested in seeing those images can always check "view previous versions".

All the best,

Kee

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:36 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flying High into 2014!

jbush wrote:
I just came across this thread...beautiful capture Kee! I saw the comments about the bird lacking a reflection. I looked closely and do see what I believe is the shadow, shown below.

Regards,
Jon

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your comments on my image. And also much appreciation goes to you for your looking closely and coming/supposing the bird's shadow. Jon, but, that red circled image in the lake CANNOT be the bird's shadow.
I will explain why.. in my another new thread.

Kee

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flying High into 2014!

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Thanks Dan for the beautiful egrets images of yours. I had opportunities of looking at those images early today.
I am very surprised to learn of the moderators intervene no matter how gently and appropriately reminded you. I do not want to go into somewhat lengthy discussion on that matter. I am very much disappointed and I am very confident why they or he comes in this way.

Anyway, whoever interested in seeing those images can always check "view previous versions".

All the best,

Kee

It is fine. And some might worry, with some justification, that my post of my photos in your thread could "hijack" your post - which would be insensitive forum behavior. :-)

Dan

Jan 05, 2014 at 10:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.