New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

jusjee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

Hi all,

I'm finally venturing into the strobist world and would like some advice from you experts on this forum. First let me start with what I'd like to achieve with my first venture.

Goal:
I'm looking for a good one light setup where I can use a speedlite or equivalent (Most likely a Vivitar 285 with some Yongnuo remote triggers) as a fill for outdoor portraits. In door studio style is my secondary goal and I would probably start purchasing more lights for this. Ideally, and I think this is everyone's goal, I'd like the portraits to retain a natural light look but provide that extra fill for sunny conditions.

I already have decided on my light stand and swivel. These will be the Lumopro L603 and LP633.

I am considering the Paul C Bluff 51" White PLM as my light modifier. The reason is I've read that there are much more options for light modification with a Parabolic Umbrella vs a regular umbrella and the price point is not much higher, especially compared to a soft box. My questions are:

1) Is the PLM price worth it over the regular umbrellas for a first timer like me?
2) Will the stand/swivel I've decided on be able to carry everything (I couldn't find specs on capacity of them as well as weight of the PLM)?
3) Will the PLM fit in the LP633 (Again, couldn't really find specs on the umbrella mount hole)?
4) Ultimately, is this even a substantial setup for what I'm trying to achieve?
EDIT for one last question kind of OT:
5) Will the Vivitar 285 be OK to shoot on a Yongnuo trigger? I have just begun reading about older flashes and trigger voltages and this seems to be OK based on the following links. If someone can provide a good way to ensure that my gear would be safe with specific flashes, I'd appreciate it:

http://dpanswers.com/roztr/volt_finder.php (States that the 285HV is 7.1-9V)
http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php#tv (States that YongNuo RF-602 and RF-603 should not be connected to a flash with a trigger voltage above 12 volts.)

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

First off, I would really implore you to reconsider using a shoe mount flash for outdoor portraits. They do OK as a fill, when you're in open shade or on cloudy days, but when you try to balance with harsher light, they are simply underpowered. An Alien Bees unit would cost you a bit more, but would open things up that much more for you.

In terms of the PLM- I've used them and more conventional (lastolite, wescott) brollys, and I would say the PLMs are of better quality (material used is thicker, the plastic ribs are more flexible). That being said, the PLM is just not designed to be used with a shoe mount flash, as the flash will not fill the brolly and you won't get the parabolic fill you paid extra for.

1). I'd say no- either get a moonlight, with the PLM, or just use a cheap 30-45" umbrella.
2). Sure- the stand and swivel are OK, but do check out the Manfrotto options- they tend to be a bit more thought out:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-026-Lite-Tite-Umbrella-Adapter/dp/B001ENW61I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388809761&sr=8-1&keywords=lp633
3). That should work with either the 7 or the 8 mm shaft
4). See above
5). The 285HV should be fine with triggers. Most of the concerns with high voltage flashes concerns the possibility of them frying a camera when attached to the hotshoe.

Good luck

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:35 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

I'd also suggest looking at the Softlighter or the soft-silver PLM, but outdoors, they'll be sails...

Jan 04, 2014 at 10:17 PM
jusjee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

Lovesong wrote:
First off, I would really implore you to reconsider using a shoe mount flash for outdoor portraits. They do OK as a fill, when you're in open shade or on cloudy days, but when you try to balance with harsher light, they are simply underpowered. An Alien Bees unit would cost you a bit more, but would open things up that much more for you.

In terms of the PLM- I've used them and more conventional (lastolite, wescott) brollys, and I would say the PLMs are of better quality (material used is thicker, the plastic ribs are more flexible). That being
...Show more
Thanks for this. I am considering a purchase of Alien Bees, but am unsure what to get. I would like to spend as little as possible, but want to ensure I get enough power. If i plan to use it for indoor and outdoor and most outdoor shots will be within about 10 feet (at most 10 people), will a B400 suffice?

Jan 08, 2014 at 06:42 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

Really for the difference in price why not get the 800 or even 1600?

Depending on your camera and gear you COULD also up the ISO to 800 and get an extra two+ stops out of it..

I have a couple White Lightnings for when I don't want to break out the packs and heads I have (other brands) and they are pretty indestructible. I have had them for 7 years now and they haven't failed me yet and I use them on all my sporting events and sometimes on outdoor portrait sessions.

Ryan G

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

I'd agree with Ryan G- the B400 is OK for indoor use as it allows the use of more modifiers, but outside (and especially in the southern Cali sun), it won't fare that much better than a speed light.

Your subject is important, as is the type of look you're after. A midday full sun shoot, or trying to fight the sun at golden hour, will require much more juice than shooting in open shade.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:18 PM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

If you're going to be shooting in full sun, you want to have as much power as you can to overpower that sunlight.
I use AB1600's for all outdoor shoots with their mini-lithium portable powerpack. You can always turn down the light for indoor shoots, use a neutral density filter on the lens or even the light source and you can move the light further back away from the subjects to effectively lower the light even more.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

A white PLM is just umbrella, it loses it's parabolic characteristics when it is white rather than silver. I bought one as it seemed to be a more durable umbrella (fiberglass ribs) but the fabric is too thick, it is heavy and a pain to set up with the shaft each time since the screw to hold it out is the same one that must go through the adapter hole.

Just buy an umbrella instead which will be cheaper, lighter and faster to set up.

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:23 PM
cbbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

I started with a couple of sb-800's and a couple of the sb-26's which are great inside or in the shade, but after several frustrating attempts, I now have 2 WL1600's for outdoor shots. Like with most things, there is no good substitute for horsepower. The PLM's and WL's are fantastic together. You can usually find a good deal on used PCB stuff in the B&S forum.

Jan 13, 2014 at 06:38 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

I've owned a PLM (soft silver) and was never really in love with it. It gives snappy directional light, but sometimes too snappy and focused, especially with subjects who had shinier skin. I've since switched to the Softlighter ii (use it Einsteins) and it literally paints the light on the skin.

Jan 16, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

Whether you use speedlights or strobes get yourself a Lastolite 8-1 umbrella for outdoor use. Much easier to work with and far more versatile. Unless you have an assistant or heavy sand bags, you're going to need extra insurance for when a 6' umbrella sales over and hits your model in the face.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:47 PM
jusjee
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Lighting Set Advice Requested: Paul C Bluff PLM

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback guys. I actually purchased a A400 (from a great FM'er here) and compared it against a 285HV I already had. I didn't see that big of a difference. I recently sold it to fund an A1600 (from here, as always!).

I did end up with a soft silver PLM, just got it yesterday. My biggest complaint with PCB stuff is I can't find them for sale very easily away from their website which charges a minimum of $12 shipping (even on smaller items!). Second complaint is the terrible setup process for an umbrella. I don't have comments on their light modifying ability as I have yet to use it since I bought the version with the speeding mount and I sold the AB I had. Now, just have to wait for my A1600!

When I finally get the ability to shoot with my setup against the sun I will definitely post pics, then you can all critique the photos!

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.