New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       16       end

Archive 2014 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Brian, it does sound as though a few of us are having this issue. I've emailed Tamron UK agent, suggest you and everyone else who's found this to do the same, as it's the only way we can expect Tamron to acknowledge it and hopefully work on a fix. I think a few testers did mention this in their reviews - this chap certainly did - http://chewyenfook.smugmug.com/Photography/Tamro-150-600-VS-Canon-400mm/36134215_3P9q3W#!i=3030095385&k=Q6n39TN

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:38 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

brimull wrote:
Yes, my Tamron 150-600mm doesn't refocus in servo mode when I keep the shutter release button pressed slightly and change targets. I'm surprised this didn't come up in the pre-release reviews by various lens testers. I don't generally use the autofocus system in this manner, but it doesn't seem right to me. Puzzling.

Brian M.

It's puzzling to me why you think that the autofocus works as you described. The AI Servo mode is supposed to continue to track the same target that you had locked (the AF point on it) then temporarily lose it. It is not meant to continue working as you switch target. If it works it's amazing but that's not its intended function. The way you and surfinrobin tested this, to me, seemed excessively beyond the norm. I haven't mentioned this until now because of the lack of response from FM'ers making me think I've got this all wrong before. My 50D and 5DIII with all of my lenses (70-200mm f/4L & 400mm f/5.6L - I haven't used AI servo with others) I can tell you, would fail this test. Edit: I forgot about my 100mm f/2.8L macro, it would fail too.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

diverhank wrote:
It's puzzling to me why you think that the autofocus works as you described. The AI Servo mode is supposed to continue to track the same target that you had locked (the AF point on it) then temporarily lose it. It is not meant to continue working as you switch target. If it works it's amazing but that's not its intended function. The way you and surfinrobin tested this, to me, seemed excessively beyond the norm. I haven't mentioned this until now because of the lack of response from FM'ers making me think I've got this all wrong before. My
...Show more

Not sure what you are talking about. With the camera in AI Servo mode and the shutter button held down half-depressed, the lens should continuously change focus as the subject moves closer or further away. It has worked that way on every Canon, Sigma, and Tamron lens that I have owned in the last ten years.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:33 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Imagemaster wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about. With the camera in AI Servo mode and the shutter button held down half-depressed, the lens should continuously change focus as the subject moves closer or further away. It has worked that way on every Canon, Sigma, and Tamron lens that I have owned in the last ten years.

I'm talking about switching to a different target and you're talking about the same target. Brian M and surfinrobin are switching targets.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

diverhank wrote:
I'm talking about switching to a different target and you're talking about the same target. Brian M and surfinrobin are switching targets.

No, I am talking about ANY target. Point your camera at any target at one hundred feet away, then in the same motion point it at something thirty feet away. The camera should be changing focus the whole time. That is the purpose of AI Servo.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:48 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

That's something new I learned today.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

diverhank wrote:
That's something new I learned today.

Cool. Now tomorrow, put your 400mm on your 5D III and put it in AI Servo mode. With the shutter button held half-depressed, focus on a car moving away or towards you. The car should remain in focus all the time because the lens continuously changes focus. The problem myself and some others are having is the Tamron 150-600 is not doing this.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Hmmm this is rather interesting and especially so on Pg 2 ...........There may be a 'case' where certain settings may hinder the lens for looking for a subject once moved away from it??

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOS-1DX_Mark_III_AF_tracking_QuickGuide.pdf

This shows AI AF settings and adjustments for 1DX and 5DMKIII........I remember some similar settings on a 6D and am not sure how many of these are on the 1DMKIV? Might be something in here to try yet to cure AF problems??

Karl

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

I have my AI Servo setup to stay locked on my intended target and track it as long as possible. This on the 5D3/1DX is mode 2 and then all the sliders pushed even more to the left. Even with this extreme "stay locked on" setting, the AI Servo will still jump to a further target from a closer one or vica versa after a second or so. In AF mode 3 it will jump to new targets very quickly and Tony is right that if you have it focusing on a close object and then move the camera to have the AF point cover a distant object the AI servo is designed to focus on that new target that the sensor covers. In the new 5D3 and 1DX you can customize how fast or responsive it jumps to new targets with a lot of variability.

However, it should always eventually focus on the new object....the Tamron is not doing this for a lot of people and that is an issue as it probably means that the general AI Servo response is not working properly even when tracking a single object.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

arbitrage wrote:
However, it should always eventually focus on the new object....the Tamron is not doing this for a lot of people and that is an issue as it probably means that the general AI Servo response is not working properly even when tracking a single object.

Bingo! And if your current camera is focusing Canon lenses properly in AI Servo, you should not have change any of your focusing modes to get the Tamron to do the same. The fault is with the Tamron lens.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM
ox0312
• • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Another one with the new Tami

Canon 7D: 500 mm, F6.3, ISO640, 1/800s,

Northern Cardinal - Female by Photosequence, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:17 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

After seeing quite a number of soft shots with this new Tamron lens I'm wondering if folks would be better off using a sharp lens like a 400 5.6 and just uprezzing to 600mm? Certainly for BIF the finished product looks to be better with the 400 5.6 even after digital magnification of 150% vs. the new Tamron at 600mm. The price is the same and even though you lose the zoom with the 400 you have the benefit of shooting at f5.6. The only BIF shots I've seen from the Tamron that look remotely sharp have been taken at f8 and smaller apertures. The new Tamron does look attractive for some static shooting, but it appears action shooting is not going to be it's forte.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:25 AM
sfink161

p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Imagemaster wrote:
Cool. Now tomorrow, put your 400mm on your 5D III and put it in AI Servo mode. With the shutter button held half-depressed, focus on a car moving away or towards you. The car should remain in focus all the time because the lens continuously changes focus. The problem myself and some others are having is the Tamron 150-600 is not doing this.

My 100-400 will maintain AF on a bald eagle flying coming at me flying directly over my head allowing my to squeeze off a number of continuous high speed shots when using my 7D or 5d mk II in AI Servo. Each shot is generally sharp in this situation normally. So I wouldn't be able to do that with the Tamron? That’s too bad because that's important to me.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

sfink161 wrote:
My 100-400 will maintain AF on a bald eagle flying coming at me flying directly over my head allowing my to squeeze off a number of continuous high speed shots when using my 7D or 5d mk II in AI Servo. Each shot is generally sharp in this situation normally. So I wouldn't be able to do that with the Tamron? That’s too bad because that's important to me.

I'm not sure if the actual tracking of a single object moving like the eagle you mention is the problem or not. Most people seem to say it is more if you move from one object to the next object at a different distance that it won't even attempt to drive the AF mechanism. However, because of that behaviour I would question its ability to track a BIF also but not sure how well it is doing that for people.

I agree if AI Servo tracking is broken on this lens then for myself it is next to useless. But maybe FW can fix this?? Here's hoping.

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:51 AM
hamish11

p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Would like the opinions of some of you who have used the new 150-600. I currently shoot with a Canon 400 5.6, I love it but you know the story, that never ending quest for increased reach. If the IQ is close, I would love the extra reach and would not mind the ability to pull back a bit when needed. I shoot primarily boids, and surfing. What say you, is ditching the Canon a good idea in this case?

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

hamish11 wrote:
Would like the opinions of some of you who have used the new 150-600.

Then read the six or so other threads on this lens.

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:50 PM
hamish11

p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Yeah, I suppose I was being a bit lazy. Just wanted to hear from folks that had used both lenses. This concerned me a bit:

"AF INCONSISTENCY
The Tamron AF system on this *sample piece* is inconsistent and often stalls at between focal lengths from 250-600 in the field. I found it impossible to lock a bird in flight in the sky. Both my Canons did not have focus issues with the Canon 400mm F5.6L that I carried along. Setting the camera at the 15m limiter didn't help either. There were odd occasions when it did work - but only in a flash. The AF sort of leaps forward and retracts backwards, and then stalls.

The tracking did work well when a subject is nailed in focus. Because of its frequent inability (this sample copy) to lock onto subject at the 250-600 end, a subject moving toward the camera was manually overridden until it is in focus and with the AF on the camera pressed. That way, the AF tracking works. "To kick start it" so as speak and to wake it up from its sleep. That way, tracking works. By itself, the lens' AF at these focal lengths would very often freeze."

But at the same time I am impressed with a lot of the images I am seeing. Going to wait a bit and read some more.

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:33 PM
ox0312
• • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Another example of the VC on the new Tami.

Canon 7D: 1/200s, F7.1, ISO640, 600mm (effec 960mm)

Snowy Owl #3 by Photosequence, on Flickr

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:01 AM
sfink161

p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

I was reading a couple of reviews on the B&H site, see:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=1013956&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

when I found this snippet:

...All focal ranges benefit from stopping down. F/8 yields great results, but again, beyond 500mm, although improved, it is still not good enough for me. In fact, in every case that I shot, taking the shot at 500mm and cropping to the same field of view as 600mm, then interpolating the extra resolution in Photoshop yielded a sharper photo with more detail. So although 600mm might be good enough for some people, why bother when you can shoot at 500mm and up-res with better results?

Does this make sense? Can anyone confirm this being true with their lens? From my understanding the IQ does drop off by more then a little bit as it approaches the 600mm end.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

I had a chance in Hong Kong at a camera store to try out one of these lens, took it outside and took some shots, when I repositioned what I was shooting at and the lens hunted and hunted until I manually got it real close, I took it back inside and decided this lens was not for me......maybe I had a bad copy, maybe I didn't know what it was doing, but the fact that it didn't do anything left me feeling I didn't want the lens.....good luck to those that have had success with it......I was not that fortunate....

Feb 01, 2014 at 04:06 PM
       15       16       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

15       16       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.