1       2       3              12      
       14       15       16       end

Archive 2014 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
If you mean 'lens search when Af is impossible', then by default I have it enabled, but did also try it disabled, but no difference.

You would want to keep it enabled. This should force the lens search for focus. When disabled and the lens is grossly defocused, the lens won't drive at all- just like the symptom you and others have described.

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Taken close to MFD at ISO 3200.

I can't complain about this IQ:

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:28 PM
surfinrobin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

On top of my 150-600 & 7d, I also have a Sigma 150-500 here, and a 30D. Tomorrow if I have time I'll test all 4 combinations of lens/body by shooting Servo AF close up moving to mid, then to long FP's at 200, 400 & 500mm's. I predict the Sigma will move through the whole range of lengths & fp's on both bodies, whereas the Tammy will falter at 400 & 500 on both. I may be wrong, and if I am I promise never to darken this forum again. But if I'm not, can we agree the issue is with the lens and not the user/camera/set up? I may even video the experiment to send to Tamron.

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:52 PM
ox0312
• • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Posted in the Early Adopters thread. Posting again here for reference

I spent some time with the lens today for Both BiF and Static Birds Shots with my Canon 7D & 5D3 (Mostly at 600mm)

I started with the static bird shots in the 2-3 hours of sunlight with well below freezing temprature.

Most of the shots were on Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monopod with Iinduro GHB1 gimbal head with VC=ON. I micro Adjust Canon 7D by (-8)

Except for the last (American Kestrel) I hand hold.

AI Servo mode with Conti Focusing & Center Focus Point. Focusing was dead ON (almost 100% of time) on the monopod. Not even a single shot missed with this settings.

For Static Birds shots, I got a keeper rate of over 80% which is rare even with my Canon 400mm 5.6 Prime on 7D. Literally, while reviewing the images it was hard to delete. Sharp Focus. Magnification factor is alos good with 1:5 ratio.

Based on the results today, if you can live with the center focus point. This can a amazing lens for these type of shots.

Some of the NON-BiF shots from today. If you have any question, please ask me.

I ll post some BiF shots later with some 'cons' of this lens.

1/800, f/6.3, ISO320, 600mm

Northern Cardinal - Male by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

1/800, f/7.1, ISO100, 552 mm

White Throated Sparrow by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

1/800, f/6.3, ISO200, 600mm

Duck by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

1/800, f/6.3, ISO500, 600mm

Northern Cardinal - Male by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

1/800, f/7.1, ISO500, 600mm

Northern Cardinal - Female by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

Handheld this shot
1/250. F6.3, ISO1250. 600mm

Kestral by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
Mitesh, you could well be right, although it doesn't sound as though the lens even starts looking. It doesn't 'hunt' as I would expect, it just stays silent. Bump it and yes, it finds focus again straight away. Not tested it yet as it's nighttime here and was raining all day but as soon as I get thechance I'll follow a car down the road to the horizon. If it tracks it, I'm happy and I can live with!

This is different from what I thought originally...if you bump it (or as I call it, pumping the focus button) and it works then that's pretty normal to me. With my 400mm f/5.6L on a 5Diii, if I don't pump the focus and instead just hold the focus button down, in AI Servo mode, it would just sit there half of the time anyway...I pump the focus about twice a second while tracking.

Maybe there is hope for me to get this lens for BIF. From what I saw Imagemaster can do...I'm again optimistic
. Again thanks for continuing reporting.

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:29 AM
surfinrobin

p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

OK, so unfortunately I sprained my ankle last night playing football, so could only be bothered to complete part of the test I was going to carry out. I didn't want to fall over with my lovely new lens!! I tried both Sigma 150-500 & the Tamron 150-600mm on 7D body. I kept my thumb on my AI Servo button (which I've pre-programmed to my ' * ' button) throughout both tests and can confirm the Sigma kept focus from near, through mid to far distance without issue. However the Tamron didn't. It stopped when it got to the mid distance and wouldn't pick up focus (or hunt) again on the far distance until I took my thumb off the button and pressed it again. This was carried out at 400mm on both lenses. I'll upload the results once I've found & uploaded my DPP software, which I understand shows the focus points? Hopefully someone else with this lens can try a similar experiment and see if they get the same result?
Diverhank, sounds as though you have issues too, that doesn't sound right to me. The whole point of AI Servo is to track. Admittedly if you're tracking through 'challenging' scenery in difficult light then the odd b(p)ump or two would be required, but twice a second every time sounds excessive to me - especially with that set up!! I had a 2nd hand 30D with a £600 Sigma lens that didn't require that amount of effort!

Edited on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:37 AM
jimbob
• •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Thank you Imagemaster for this nice verification regarding the IQ of Tamron's latest offering.
Regards
Jim

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
I kept my thumb in my AI Servo button (which I've pre-programmed to my ' * ' button) throughout both tests and can confirm the Sigma kept focus from near, through mid to far distance without issue. However the Tamron didn't. It stopped when it got to the mid distance and wouldn't pick up focus (or hunt) again on the far distance until I took my thumb off the button and pressed it again.
Diverhank, sounds as though you have issues too, that doesn't sound right to me. The whole point of AI Servo is to track. Admittedly if you're
...Show more

Surfinrobin, to me that is not an issue. AI Servo works to a certain extent but you need to help it along, especially if the birds are coming towards you and going away from you. So using your technique, I can report that the 400mm f/5.6L (which most people think has good AF speed and all) has the same problem with the Tamron 150-600.

I've learned to b(p)ump the focus with the 400 f/5.6 after receiving this tip from a veteran BIF shooter. After a while, it had become a technique of mine so I pump the focus whether I need it or not. With this technique, shooting bees and butterflies in flight has become easy...tracking BIF is even easier... My BIF circle is small but the photogs I know all (b)pump the focus, Canon or Nikon users. But you're right, you don't need to pump all the time. I do all the time because it makes the AF sure and fast. Thanks for your info. Please keep them coming.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM
surfinrobin

p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Diverhank - yep, agree that it is an effective technique with BIF's, that way you can concentrate on keeping the bird on the focus point and bump it when you want to shoot, rather than have the focus constantly trying to track it. My experiment was moving through landscape, so nothing moving other than the end of my lens trying to focus on the next piece of landscape!! Hopefully once my test shots upload, it'll clear up the confusion as to what my issue is as not sure if I'm explaining it that well!! As stated previously, I don't think it will have much effect on my photography in the real world, but nice to know what the limitations are on this lens. Or Whether it's just my copy (in which case I'll swap it out). Or whether they are all affected and we need to get on Tamron's case to sort out!!

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
Or whether they are all affected and we need to get on Tamron's case to sort out!!

My copy has no problem snapping into focus on subjects at 50 feet then 200 feet at 150mm, and does the same at 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, and 600mm settings.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM
surfinrobin

p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Thanks Imagemaster, maybe it is my copy then.

I've uploaded my test images to Flickr. Apologies for the low quality and dull subject matter, was hurrying due to some discomfort in my ankle. However they illustrate my issue. In AI Servo, finger on the button throughout, the Sigma tracked/focused from the rock at 9m (Shot1) through to the owls (Shot2) and onto the grass in the distance at 122m (Shot3). At no point did I lift my finger off the focus button. I swapped the lenses over, no other adjustments at all, and the Tamron wouldn't focus beyond the stone owl in Shot 5. Shot 6 & 7 should be the same as Shot 3, the focus point was on the grass behind, as with Shot 3 on the Sigma, but it just won't focus. Obviously taking my finger off and on again and it snaps into focus. That, in a nutshell, is my issue with AI Servo on the 7D with my lens. Would be interested to hear if yours is the same? As I say, in the real world will this be an issue? Time will tell, but if those stone owls decide to take flight over the field, you won't be getting any pictures of it from me!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979925@N02/?v=1

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
Thanks Imagemaster, maybe it is my copy then.

I've uploaded my test images to Flickr. Apologies for the low quality and dull subject matter, was hurrying due to some discomfort in my ankle. However they illustrate my issue. In AI Servo, finger on the button throughout, the Sigma tracked/focused from the rock at 9m (Shot1) through to the owls (Shot2) and onto the grass in the distance at 122m (Shot3). At no point did I lift my finger off the focus button. I swapped the lenses over, no other adjustments at all, and the Tamron wouldn't focus beyond the stone
...Show more

Correction: I should have said it snaps into focus when I press the shutter button, but does not change focus in AI Servo while the shutter button remains pressed. Something that should indeed be addressed.

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:44 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Imagemaster wrote:

Looks great. Did you handhold for this image, or have support?

I didn't have good luck at this shutter speed. Maybe I need to give it another try!

Brian M.

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:01 PM
surfinrobin

p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

[ and Servo AF works adequately... when in the hands of a proficient photographer.

Mitesh - You may want to revise that....

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:36 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
Mitesh - You may want to revise that....

Touché, Robin

I'm sure we'll see plenty of good IF images, and we'll hear plenty of complaints as well. All's well in forum-land. BTW, no comment was directed at you or anyone else personally.

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:43 PM
surfinrobin

p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

No worries Mitesh. Feel we're getting somewhere with this AF issue.

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 06:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:07 PM
dthrog00
• • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Imagemaster wrote:

This image, as much as any other, shows the lens certainly has potential and is likely worth $1,000 to those of us who weren't willing to drop 100-400 or supertele money.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:33 PM
sfink161

p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Imagemaster wrote:
Correction: I should have said it snaps into focus when I press the shutter button, but does not change focus in AI Servo while the shutter button remains pressed. Something that should indeed be addressed.

If it's not changing focus then what is it doing? Is it tracking anything? Does anything change if you change the AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity to some other choice by the default medium?

More importantly, what tracking method did you use to obtain the BIF shot that you shared on the other thread if AI Servo does not change focus as stated above?

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

sfink161 wrote:
If it's not changing focus then what is it doing? Is it tracking anything? Does anything change if you change the AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity to some other choice by the default medium?

It remains locked on the first subject, so it tracks nothing further or closer away. I should not have to change tracking sensitivity, which works fine on all my other lenses.

More importantly, what tracking method did you use to obtain the BIF shot that you shared on the other thread if AI Servo does not change focus as stated above?

It obviously locked on the bird as soon as I half-pressed, then fully pressed the shutter. The following shots were not in focus.

See my last posting in this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1269628/999999#lastmessage

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

surfinrobin wrote:
OK, so unfortunately I sprained my ankle last night playing football, so could only be bothered to complete part of the test I was going to carry out. I didn't want to fall over with my lovely new lens!! I tried both Sigma 150-500 & the Tamron 150-600mm on 7D body. I kept my thumb on my AI Servo button (which I've pre-programmed to my ' * ' button) throughout both tests and can confirm the Sigma kept focus from near, through mid to far distance without issue. However the Tamron didn't. It stopped when it got to the mid
...Show more

Yes, my Tamron 150-600mm doesn't refocus in servo mode when I keep the shutter release button pressed slightly and change targets. I'm surprised this didn't come up in the pre-release reviews by various lens testers. I don't generally use the autofocus system in this manner, but it doesn't seem right to me. Puzzling.

Brian M.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.