New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Organ-grinder

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Organ-grinder

Gentleman portraying an organ-grinder at a railway station...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:33 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Organ-grinder

I am glad you posted this one, Bob. Having seen a preview, its one of a number of fine image from your recent trip that really stand out. Great subject, great character. And so well-composed. It would not work as well without the wisps of smoke exhaled from his mouth, and the wonderful attire. From a bygone era.

Scott

Jan 02, 2014 at 08:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Organ-grinder

Interesting character piece ... +1 @ wisps. Any more that reflect the "organ grinder" aspect?

Looks like some cast, took a stab at it. Might be a good candidate for some classic Bob mono or period toned also.

The exif has me shaking my head a bit re the DOF/sharp @ 1.4 & 2000 ... how are you liking the Fuji? Curious @ which profile this was using (Provia, Astia,etc.)

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:30 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Organ-grinder

I like Kent's color tweaks. Maybe a few more tweaks?

Jan 03, 2014 at 04:11 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Organ-grinder

Thanks folks,

Appreciate the reworks but the cooler original is my sense of having been there - a gray, overcast day but not terribly uncomfortable.

Bob

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:04 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Organ-grinder

sbeme wrote:
I am glad you posted this one, Bob. Having seen a preview, its one of a number of fine image from your recent trip that really stand out. Great subject, great character. And so well-composed. It would not work as well without the wisps of smoke exhaled from his mouth, and the wonderful attire. From a bygone era.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

More coming if the forum will tolerate it

Interestingly some viewers on People Photography prefer the pipe smoke not be there, rather from pipe bowl. I prefer as is. He and I spoke at length - he operates the switching/signal station as his daily job. He commented about being able to smoke - I know smoking is not permitted in the station/cafe but am unclear about the platform. I'll e-mail him a set later in return for his patience and kindness.

I'm posting what will amount to a 5 part series on Black & White Vision for anyone interested. In some instances I think color serves as well if not better. I'll selectively post some color versions here.

Thanks again, appreciate your comments,

Bob

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:16 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Organ-grinder

RustyBug wrote:
Interesting character piece ... +1 @ wisps. Any more that reflect the "organ grinder" aspect?

Looks like some cast, took a stab at it. Might be a good candidate for some classic Bob mono or period toned also.

The exif has me shaking my head a bit re the DOF/sharp @ 1.4 & 2000 ... how are you liking the Fuji? Curious @ which profile this was using (Provia, Astia,etc.)

Thanks Kent,

BW version on BWVision plus others. I'll put together a contextual set for PC later.

Re Fuji - 35mm/1.4 Fuji lens is simply 'sweet' - carried that and a Fuji14mm/2.8: camera on strap, second lens in coat pocket all day. I love it, never knew it was there unlike my DSLR kit. I did see someone with a D300 and another with a Canon DSLR, otherwise the ubiquitous camera/phone combo.

Profile - this is processed from the RAF (raw file using Photo Ninja) and LR 5.3. The profiles are applied in-camera for jpegs. Shooting RAW & JPG, I post the jpgs to web albums for family (often very little if any post necessary other crop & level) and cherry pick images for raw processing. Settings were most often Shutter preferred @ 250 or 125 and auto ISO of 3200. From my limited experience, given a near proper exposure, anything up to ISO 3200 is clean.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Organ-grinder

Thanks Bob,

+1 @ CC (technically driven, thanks Karen) vs. mood (artist message driven) ... always a subjective decision how much to lean one way or the other. I'm sure by now that you know how I feel about "message" being integral to the visual communication that we desire to send to our viewers and presence being an element of that message.

Interesting to hear about mouth vs. pipe. I had a similar thought @ the wisps coming from the mouth convey a more "disheveled" vibe vs. my imagination conjuring up a more "dignified" vibe if it had been coming from the bowl (probably an indictment of seeing too much tv/movie portrayal vs. real people) ... which takes us back (as always) to artists message that is trying to be conveyed.

Fuji ... I'm wanting to get my hands on one to try for ergonomics but nobody around for 100+ miles has one. I'd probably have to drive about 4 hours to get to a store that carries Fuji bodies. Shooting without an AA filter (body) and neutral glass always appeals to me. Fuji seems to have a quality to their glass that appeals to me, but I'm concerned about no OVF and physical size for my (long) hands.

+1 @ jpg+raw is quick & cherry pick ... that's how I pack 'em in too. Most everything I've posted around here has been from small jpg. It serves as a draft version for those few that I do print (and then work from RAW). It also makes processing go quicker (although some penalties for banding, etc can come along on the jpg, but "eh" I can mentally accommodate for that knowing that the RAW is still available.

Having gone from your D2X (iirc) to your newer APS-C (I forget the which one you have) to Fuji do you have any revelations about the Fuji that you found notable or surprising?

Jan 03, 2014 at 09:55 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Organ-grinder

Thoughts - sold off a D7000, and some lenses; Fuji won't work for subject requiring fast AF (or at least I have not mastered it), slight delay in EVF can be annoying, the OVF is a suitable alternative. DSLR for rugby required. I want to master MF using adapted lenses in combination with pre-focus - a work in progress

The XP1 has both OVF & EVF; E-1 & -2 EVF only...

Still learning how best to use it, love the OOC jpgs - see below, looking again I think I prefer it to my pp'd raw version.

I love the convenience, image quality, and inconspicuous footprint re DSLR's 'attention getter' nature and 'associated baggage'.

Bob

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:05 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Organ-grinder

So, are you still using the D2X for rugby coupled with the Fuji for a 1-2 combination?

I'm in the 1D MK II N + SLR/C for my 1-2 right now when I need AF performance (probably <5% @ 1D MK II N these days).

I moved off APS-C to APS-H to FF for my UWA work, but the APS-C realm has made strides on the UWA and the Fuji 14mm seems to be pretty stellar (Zeiss Touit 12mm also) compared to the old days of being limited to 18mm on APS-C. I could see a Fuji in my future (to carry on the scoot specifically) so it's good to hear from you on the matter. Now, I just have to put my hands on one ... to check for ergonomics and viewfinders. IQ seems like I wouldn't be losing too much from the SLR/C ... and gaining a WHOLE LOT of ISO (which would mean I could leave the tripod behind while on the scoot).

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Organ-grinder

Yes, have D2x & D7100 - medium & longer range tele zoom, XP1 for crowd/sideline work. D7100 buffer is inadequate though for decent frame rate.

I'll post some after dark 14 & 35mm images over the weekend. What is a tripod?

Bob

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Organ-grinder

Bob Jarman wrote:
What is a tripod?

I guess that would probably be Three Bean Salad to you.

How's the buffer on the Fuji for fps frame rate (shooting mf or range-finding dof style so AF is not in the equation)?

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Organ-grinder

RustyBug wrote:
I guess that would probably be Three Bean Salad to you.

How's the buffer on the Fuji for fps frame rate (shooting mf or range-finding dof style so AF is not in the equation)?

Don't know, have not tried that - also does video, which I have not tried.

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.