Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

Howdy All,

Has anyone with an EOS-M used it with FD glass? And if yes, what adapter are you using or have tested?

I've a ton of old glass, have tried a few adapters with good success; sans infinity focus, and have been pondering converting a few, but the cost per lens is expensive relative to grabbing an EOS-M with an adapter; 2 lenses converted cost the same as the M with an adapter. The old glass has a look I really like, my macro set with bellows and longer glass are my main interest. There are some fast wides but with the 1.6 crop factor...they aren't really wide anymore

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Jerry

Jan 02, 2014 at 06:47 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

Do you own an EOS M?
Do you want the EF-M 22/2?

If the answer is no to both you can get a much better NEX-5N for similar money along with an FD adapter.

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:35 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

mawz wrote:
Do you own an EOS M?
Do you want the EF-M 22/2?

If the answer is no to both you can get a much better NEX-5N for similar money along with an FD adapter.

Hi Mawz,

Thanks for your suggestion! I don't have a mirrorless body yet, just SLRs and DSLRs; started this hobby back in 1970 and I've lots of old Canon and Olympus bodies/glass; more Canon.

I took a quick look at the NEX-5N and it seems like a sweet little camera, I wasn't aware it had a 'Touch' LCD. The 'touch' screen is a big plus for me as I'm paralyzed and have little to no use of my digits, I'm hoping the 'touch' screens allow for use of a capacitive pen like I use with my phone and tablet.

It seems camera makers don't design much for the disabled, all I need is a jack for a wired remote switch; can't use my fingers to press a shutter button; not easily while focusing... I know the EOS-M would let me tap the screen to fire the shutter, will the NEX-5N allow the same?

The M also gives me access to my newer EF glass as well, the Canon adapter preserves AF; slow but usable. I had thought it's triple duty nature...older and newer Canon glass, and Alt glass like my Olympus gear...is a huge plus, makes the M quite versatile, despite it's boxy look.

I do like the idea of using an EXMOR sensor but if the M gives me more utility lens wise I'd tend to lean to the M or M2; I've a 7D that uses the same older sensor and am happy with it, what I can manage with RAW and PP.

I'll take a serious look at the 5N, if there are any big bonuses you think the 5N might get me, please reply or send me a PM. I'd enjoy a chat with a FMer that uses the 5N, I've no brand loyalty...well a little perhaps, I'm more interested in IQ when it comes to these smaller crop sensor beasties

Cheers,
Jerry

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:51 PM
mjphoto2013

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

Don't know if the EM-5 is in or out of budget but I can heartily recommend it with FD glass. Have been using a Fotodiox adapter and 80-200 F4L and 100-300 F5.6L quite successfully for awhile now; the built-in stabilization of the EM-5 is the clincher for me.

No touch screen and it is a 2x crop but perhaps it is something to consider.

Best of luck....

Jan 04, 2014 at 08:56 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

The NEX-5N does indeed offer a touch release. Given your situation however the newer NEX-5R might suit you better as it also offers control from a smart phone and IIRC also supports the wired release (those are the only real differences aside from a control wheel that's useless in AE modes with adapted lenses). A capacitive pen should work fine with any modern touch screen.

Note also that with a Metabones smart adapter you get the same level of function on a NEX as you would adapting to an M, plus there's also the Speed Booster, which can net you the FF DoF and field of view from EF lenses on the NEX (there's also an FD Speed booster IIRC).

As someone who has owned the NEX-5N, 5R and the E-M5, I would not suggest the E-M5 as a solution for adapting lenses other than telephoto's due to the limited focus assists and high crop factor. It does however also have a touch screen with touch shutter as well as support for a wired release.

Jan 04, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

The E-M5 most certainly does have a touch screen, including touch focus and shutter.

mjphoto2013 wrote:
Don't know if the EM-5 is in or out of budget but I can heartily recommend it with FD glass. Have been using a Fotodiox adapter and 80-200 F4L and 100-300 F5.6L quite successfully for awhile now; the built-in stabilization of the EM-5 is the clincher for me.

No touch screen and it is a 2x crop but perhaps it is something to consider.

Best of luck....

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:14 AM
mjphoto2013

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

Jman13 wrote:
The E-M5 most certainly does have a touch screen, including touch focus and shutter.

In the context of usage w the Fotodiox adapter, it does not have touch focus but does have shutter release. I should have been clearer.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:34 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

mawz wrote:
The NEX-5N does indeed offer a touch release. Given your situation however the newer NEX-5R might suit you better as it also offers control from a smart phone and IIRC also supports the wired release (those are the only real differences aside from a control wheel that's useless in AE modes with adapted lenses). A capacitive pen should work fine with any modern touch screen.

Note also that with a Metabones smart adapter you get the same level of function on a NEX as you would adapting to an M, plus there's also the Speed Booster, which can net you the
...Show more

Mawz, thank you, I'll check out the 5R. I've looked at the Metabones adapters and they look nice, get great reviews. I'd probably start with the basic adapter as it will work with the A7 which I may end up getting also

The E-M5 looks like a fantastic system but I shoot a ton with UW lenses...17-24...it's 2x mag factor could be an issue, for macro, longer lens work it would be sweet, thanks to all for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Jerry

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:48 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

Jerry, the 10-18 Sony lens is actually a pretty great WA option for NEX, and it does work on A7 from about 14mm-18mm. If you like WA, it's definitely a lens to consider. You'd be amazed how small of a kit it makes w/ a 5N or 5T.

Jan 05, 2014 at 12:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using the EOS-M with FD glass, which adapter is best?

mco_970 wrote:
Jerry, the 10-18 Sony lens is actually a pretty great WA option for NEX, and it does work on A7 from about 14mm-18mm. If you like WA, it's definitely a lens to consider. You'd be amazed how small of a kit it makes w/ a 5N or 5T.

Thanks Michelle, I'll take a look at the 10-18, I don't want to get to deep into another lens system, I'm mostly just interested in shooting close-up and macro and it's my old Canon macro kit that is my focus for a mirrorless body.

The A7 is of great interest for my old wide glass, 17, 24, 28 and 35. As I look at the images from the A7s all are simply stunning and it's lighter weight quite appealing. The 6D was my target, but the A7 looks mighty fine. I'll let you early adopters work the bugs/kinks out then decide next year.

In the end if I just concentrate on the close-up/macro imaging my current gear can manage both EF and the old glass. Ed Mika's brass adapter is pretty cool and lets me mount FD glass on EOS bodies; film and digital.

EXMOR is calling and the voices are getting louder

Jan 05, 2014 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.