New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

Be aware of moisture. That humidity down there can do some nasty stuff to your lenses.

Jun 14, 2014 at 02:25 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

^that's been one of my main questions - aside from security concerns carrying thousands in camera gear, how long does one have before one needs to be concerned about the humidity?

Was thinking if I have access to even a toaster oven, some nice big desiccant packs could be dried out as needed and then put into a hefty contractor bag with the gear that's not in use.

In a pinch, putting the packs in the full sun on top of said black plastic bags should dry them out too? (not with the gear inside of course, just drying out the desiccant here)

Man, I'd love to have my 500/4 in CR

Jun 14, 2014 at 06:05 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

Protecting gear, here are a few good info sites:

Layout all your gear on a towel at the end of the day and cover them with a another towel. I learned this trick from a National Geo photog. It prevents condensation when bringing gear in from the heat.

6 Tips

and...

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2009/04/29/10-tips-when-using-dslrs-in-high-humidity/

Jun 14, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

I have to say that humidity has never been an issue for me .. even when moving from indoors to outdoors. I live in Asia and spend most of my travel time in S.E.Asia ... very high humidity indeed to ally to the heat. People make a little too much of it TBH. It can be a pain but only if you do not take reasonable precautions when in the field and then store your gear properly at home.

In your room make sure you leave your gear under or behind the AC (if any !) - this area is always warmer. Put your camera & lenses into air-tight ziplock bags before you exit the room or leave them on a balcony (if this is feasible - probably not in CR) for 15 mins before you leave the room.

I'm going to have to try James' tip above re. towels. Never heard of that one before !

Edited on Jun 15, 2014 at 03:38 AM · View previous versions

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:54 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

Frogfish wrote:
I have to say that humidity has never been an issue for me .. even when moving from indoors to outdoors. I live in Asia and spend most of my travel time in S.E.Asia ... very high humidity indeed to allay to the heat. People make a little too much of it TBH. It can be a pain but only if you do not take reasonable precautions when in the field and then store your gear properly at home.

In your room make sure you leave your gear under or behind the AC (if any !) - this area is always
...Show more

I've only tried it when coming in from the cold and it worked quite well. I believe Moose Peterson also blog about some time ago. I assume the key is the towels absorb the moisture, or something like that.

Jun 15, 2014 at 03:18 AM
xelas
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

I have travelled in Costa Rica three times, all in rainy season when humidity is higher. My gear was all consumer type. 4 weeks with D60, 3 weeks with D90 and 2 weeks with D7100, the problem I experienced is linked to glue. The glued parts on camera body and on lenses started to peel off. It affects the rubber grips on all three lenses we used there. There were no problems with glass part of lenses. If having an A/C in the room than keep the camera gear in the bathroom. And always carry a big black plastic bag. When it rains it rains hard so I have covered my backpack with plastic bag.
The guy I met kept his camera gear in a specially designed plastic box with lot of silica gel and even a small lamp inside ... but he is living and working long periods in Osa Peninsula. For shorter stays your gear should be fine.

Jun 16, 2014 at 02:31 AM
davekatz

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

I just ended up bringing the 35mm f/1.4. Decided it was a nice compromise between obsessing over gear and shooting and spending time with my brother and enjoying myself.

My favorite photo from my trip was definitely this one from a local coffee roaster in Monteverde. Ultimately it's more about the story than the gear anyway!

(on the left)

http://a1.format-assets.com/image/private/s--5fYGPead--/c_limit,g_center,h_1200,w_65535/a_auto,fl_keep_iptc.progressive,q_95/19789-6900311-roasting-diptych.jpg

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM
jester4176

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

Thanks for the tips everyone. Have some silica packs on order now. I'd like to not travel too heavy, so I'm thinking just 3 lenses. 11-16 Tokina, 35 f/1.8, and 55-200. I think with these, I'll be set to cover most everything I would like.

And thanks for sharing some photos Dave. May have to stop in Monteverde and check that place out. Anything else of note in the town aside from the coffee roaster?

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM
davekatz

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Costa Rica Gear Planning

In Monteverde the ziplining was fun- there are a ton of them and they're all pretty touristy but it's actually pretty spectacular. Leave the camera at home for this...

Otherwise enjoy the casados (Sabor Tico on the top of the hill is great), the wonderful weather and the views. There's a waterfall at the end of a short hike that's nice too.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.