Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lighting purchase options and more confusion Einstein/Elinchrom/?

MDBarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting purchase options and more confusion Einstein/Elinchrom/?

Hello all,

I have never posted on this thread, usually on the landscape thread, but have recently been shooting a lot more people and more importantly getting hired to do head shots and team/group images. I have really been enjoying this aspect of photography and looking to get more involved.

Ok, now to the questions. I am looking for a lighting set up (2/3 lights?) that is portable and still gives me the variety of different soft boxes/dishes/grids/etc. From reading on this thread many references to the Paul Buff Einstein E640's (there are quite a few different packages) and the Elinchrom Rangers/Quadra and there are a bunch of different AS/RX/S/A and the Elinchrom 600RX for a monolight? Well, hopefully you can have some pity on me and help me decide.

I don't want to spend the money for Profoto at this time since I don't have my own studio per se and want to be portable however I don't want to cut corners. I own all L glass and have found that good quality always pays off. I find myself on location at both office buildings, homes, and a bit outdoors but not much.

I am shooting Canon and currently have just been using 1 580EX with soft box. I have a set of small portable reflectors and that wraps up the set so I obviously know I have a big list to fill but direction on lights and anything else would be greatly appreciated! A late Christmas gift for myself.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting purchase options and more confusion Einstein/Elinchrom/?

Over the years, I've owned both a Ranger RX speed AS and several sets of Buff lights. I currently have the White Lightning X1600, which is the same w/s as the Einsteins. Coupled with the Vagabond mini, I have found that the Buff lights just offer a better value for my needs, and are much lighter (portable) than the Ranger. Don't get me wrong- the Elinchroms are as well-made of a system as I've seen or used, but for the money difference, I just didn't see that much of a difference in the final lighting and resulting images.

In terms of modifiers, both systems have an abundance of company- and after-market- light modifiers. The hands-down best modifier that I've used is the Elinchrom deep Octa. That modifier alone made me long for the Ranger pack that I had sold. As of this year, Elinchrom has began selling speedrings for other mounts for their boxes, meaning I could get the DO and use my Buff lights with it. The main thing is deciding what look you're after- a soft, even fill, or something more punchy. Do an image search for each modifier type to determine what you like. ModelMeyham is a decent source for learning about different modifiers (but don't let some of those pompous pricks get to you )

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:56 PM
MDBarrett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting purchase options and more confusion Einstein/Elinchrom/?

Lovesong wrote:
Over the years, I've owned both a Ranger RX speed AS and several sets of Buff lights. I currently have the White Lightning X1600, which is the same w/s as the Einsteins. Coupled with the Vagabond mini, I have found that the Buff lights just offer a better value for my needs, and are much lighter (portable) than the Ranger. Don't get me wrong- the Elinchroms are as well-made of a system as I've seen or used, but for the money difference, I just didn't see that much of a difference in the final lighting and resulting images.

In terms
...Show more

Thank you very much. I am looking for the soft even fill more then a harsh light as my main clients I am planning for our corporate head shots.

I will check out the modelmeyham for some ideas...thanks for the heads up

Jan 04, 2014 at 09:32 PM
mattdoebler

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting purchase options and more confusion Einstein/Elinchrom/?

If you are going to be shooting corporate, then go with the Einsteins and a cyber commander. Your light setups will be very easy to meter and adjust in situations where efficiency (on your part) is key.

Jan 18, 2014 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.