New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Thoughts on this?

pike40
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on this?

Thinking of putting this in the current weekly assignment for "motion". This concept is a bit of a stretch for me and I wanted to get some feedback on the concept and execution before I commit to posting it. I seldom do black and white but it is growing on me. Thanks for looking!

Mike

© pike40 2013

Dice

Edited on Jan 03, 2014 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on this?

I like the concept, but would like to see the either more blur or crisper sharpness in the #4 die ... it's kind of in "no man's land" for me atm. I realize that may be easier said than done, but maybe some selective sharpening could improve the die somewhat.

That, and I'd look at cropping more tightly (2/3-ish) so the left edge light isn't pulling us away from where the real action is ... rather a bit more of being led to it.

Jan 02, 2014 at 09:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on this?

Pretty much what Kent has said.
I tried to download your image to show an alternate crop but the file appears damaged (and very small).

Here's what I was writing:

The die on the left certainly says motion with the spinning action well shown by the blur. The #4 die seems caught in between sharp and obvious motion. I wish it was more frozen in capture since it is facing us. Or more blurred, spinning away. Eye goes there strongly given its centering, its sharper focus, the strong shadow beneath, and the spot-light effect of lighting on and beneath.
I think a different placement in the frame and angling the two more might give a better sense of movement. Eg:

Jan 02, 2014 at 09:41 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on this?

Thanks for the input! I have changed it quite a bit per your suggestions. Changed the crop, lighting, texture and tried to represent movement better. It is Posted in the WA so check it out. I was going to fuss with a bit more but I am at several hundred shots alread.

Thanks again.

Mike

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on this?

Totally diff vibe ... way better, imo. Diggin't the use of the negative space for the dice to roll into. The difference in the two images is a diff as "black & white". If I had to say, I'd say one was shot by an accomplished photographer and the other is a snapshot, if that makes any sense.

Diggin' your WA entry.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1263956

Jan 02, 2014 at 12:21 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on this?

much more effective; good luck
Kent: thx for the quick and easy link

Scott

Jan 02, 2014 at 12:59 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on this?

Thanks again to both of you for taking time to reply, your comments were spot on.

Mike

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:24 PM
hopes2
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on this?

I think you picked the right one, well done.

Dan

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:46 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on this?

hopes2 wrote:
I think you picked the right one, well done.

Dan

Thanks for the comment Dan.

Jan 04, 2014 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.