Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Happy New Year 2014

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Happy New Year 2014

2013 was a great year for me - shooting humpbacks bubble fishing off bc coast, bears in prince rupert, hiking in tombstone park, chasing muskox on King William Island above the arctic circle, shooting northern lights in Whitehorse.

I just bought the a7r and metabones and some native lens for it and am ready for more resolution of banff area pictures. But I am still not sold on the body. Between the battery performance and bad menu options and shutter vibration, I should have just bought a d800 and 14-24. Heresy! I am hoping for a canon replacement to it for my ts17 already.

I am not ready to retire with 3 children in University (Engineering, Architecture and Business) and one more pending talking about medicine. And I like my job too. So my time is swirls around my job. But in a perfect world - a trip to Patagonia soon, a weekend trip to Mt Assiniboine for snowshoing in March, a cruise/off cruise wife trip to Alaska in June for grizzly, a trip to Pond Inlet in July for icebergs calving/kayaking, and a helicopter trip to Tombstone for northern lights and fall colors early september. And lots and lots of Banff/Kananaskis bears, moose and landscape. Obviously with only 5 weeks vacation something is not going to fit in.

My goal is to slow down and be more deliberate in landscape this year. Less but with more quality. More foreground and lower perspective with the tilt lens. And finding some time for nightscapes.

Jan 03, 2014 at 10:06 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Happy New Year 2014

Scott Stoness wrote:
My goal is to slow down and be more deliberate in landscape this year. Less but with more quality.

I agree with this!!
Sometimes reflecting over the last year I felt I lost my way in landscape photography. Used to live and breath it, reading everything, doing my own research into locations, trying to work in the worst weather conditions. And trying to capture unique locations.
I attribute that to getting more interested in wildlife photography, which is a totally different game.

Will see how the year goes. Hope it turns out great for everyone!

I would like to end up with a 600mm lens at some point, if savings allow for it. I've got the landscape gear more than covered.

Jan 03, 2014 at 10:44 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Happy New Year 2014

When I moved to Denver last year, I went to Rocky Mountain National Park every time I had a free weekend. I loved it and got some of my favorite images of the year there.

This year my goal is to see some of the other Colorado National Parks, see Maroon Bells and the Dallas Divide.
I also really want to go backpacking in Glacier NP for a week this summer.

Jan 03, 2014 at 12:24 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Happy New Year 2014

FarmerJohn wrote:
When I moved to Denver last year, I went to Rocky Mountain National Park every time I had a free weekend. I loved it and got some of my favorite images of the year there.

This year my goal is to see some of the other Colorado National Parks, see Maroon Bells and the Dallas Divide.
I also really want to go backpacking in Glacier NP for a week this summer.

Those are some cool goals. Do you have a gallery online of your Rocky Mountain shots? I have to be honest, I have found Rocky Mountain NP to be kind of boring compared to the other mountain areas in Colorado.

Jim

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:25 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Happy New Year 2014

Scott Stoness wrote:
2013 was a great year for me - shooting humpbacks bubble fishing off bc coast, bears in prince rupert, hiking in tombstone park, chasing muskox on King William Island above the arctic circle, shooting northern lights in Whitehorse.

I just bought the a7r and metabones and some native lens for it and am ready for more resolution of banff area pictures. But I am still not sold on the body. Between the battery performance and bad menu options and shutter vibration, I should have just bought a d800 and 14-24. Heresy! I am hoping for a canon replacement to it
...Show more

Hey Scott,

Yeah, I remember those days of having to spread out 5 weeks of vacation. It takes some smart planning, and using lot's of long weekends to spread the days out longer. As for the A7r, I think from what I have read, you would have been much better off with a D800E and the 14-24mm... just saying....

Jim

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:27 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Happy New Year 2014

To explode my business and be on the road at least 200 days this year shooting.
To enjoy my new home in outdoor paradise - Bend Oregon.
To go to Hawaii at least 1-2 months.
To maybe get back to Africa this year to help the kiddies and do some under exploited landscape work.
Freedom over stuff.

Jan 04, 2014 at 04:16 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Happy New Year 2014

1. (top priority) - Get the Canon 16-35L II, 82 mm CPL filter for it and larger backpack that can hold the camera gear, laptop and tripod for more convenient travel.
2. I'd love to get back to Dolomites, preferably towards the end of september, but that's 8 months away so who knows
3. Capture more wheat fields/stormy weather during may and june
4. Visit the Slovak paradise National Park after 7 years
5. Capture some decent fall colors

I hope you'll all be able to accomplish your plans in 2014!

Jan 04, 2014 at 04:54 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Happy New Year 2014

I wish there was a green with envy emoticon! You guys have some great trips planned. As for me, I have an opportunity to go to Banff in late August early September. The day job limits my ability to travel at the right times of the year. But I've never been IP there and I'll at least get the lay of the land should I get another opportunity to go.

I'm about a day's drive from the Smokies and I want to figure out a way to get up there more often. So I'll be working on that as well.

I have relatives in Washington and I want to get out there and visit many areas including Oregon. Maybe not in 2014 but hopefully in 2015.

I retire in 2015 and hopefully I'll be able to visit areas at better times of year for photography.

Jan 04, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Happy New Year 2014

JimFox wrote:
Hey Scott,

Yeah, I remember those days of having to spread out 5 weeks of vacation. It takes some smart planning, and using lot's of long weekends to spread the days out longer. As for the A7r, I think from what I have read, you would have been much better off with a D800E and the 14-24mm... just saying....

Jim

Yup the d800 14/24 is the perfect combination except that it will not work with the TS17. And for that reason I could not jump.

Which brings me to my other resolution - stop chasing the best lens/body and get on with chasing the light [except for the ts90, ts45 that I plan to buy of course ] The 5diii is a dam good body.

I realize after 2 months with the a7r and numerous new lens and adapters and learning a new system - its not worth it. Now I am vacationing with two systems. If I had just spent my energy on the landscape while canon gets their act together, the world would be a better place.

Jan 04, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Happy New Year 2014

JimKied wrote:
I wish there was a green with envy emoticon! You guys have some great trips planned. As for me, I have an opportunity to go to Banff in late August early September. The day job limits my ability to travel at the right times of the year. But I've never been IP there and I'll at least get the lay of the land should I get another opportunity to go.

I'm about a day's drive from the Smokies and I want to figure out a way to get up there more often. So I'll be working on that as well.
...Show more

Late August/early Sep is a great time for wildlife in Banff. But 3rd week in september is the perfect week for landscape but colder. PM me if you need any advice about spots. Its my backyard. It will be great. I would put - Moraine Lake, Peyto Lookout, Lake Ohara overnight, Vermillion Lake, and if you have time/money - a helicopter trip to Mt Assiniboine on your list ( my favorite spot in the world).

Jan 04, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Happy New Year 2014

Mark Metternich wrote:
To explode my business and be on the road at least 200 days this year shooting.
To enjoy my new home in outdoor paradise - Bend Oregon.
To go to Hawaii at least 1-2 months.
To maybe get back to Africa this year to help the kiddies and do some under exploited landscape work.
Freedom over stuff.

Good luck with the business and let me know when you go back to Hawaii. I need to retry lava at night. Scott

Jan 04, 2014 at 11:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.