Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Need camera body buying advice.

Wordy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need camera body buying advice.

Thanks for the great forum, I just registered today. I am in a situation where I started collecting good lenses when I had the Canon T3i. I recently sold that since I wanted to better use the lenses I have collected. I have these lenses and really want someone to chime in and offer advice on what to do without spending much money, but being able to exploit the high resolution of these lenses from three different companies. I mostly shoot wildlife here in South Florida, but also do portraits and landscapes. I have these lenses and dont really want to part with them. I am considering the Sony A7 but $1500 is a little high for me.

Nikon 400mm ed ais f/2.8,
Leica 50mm f2 R summicron,
Leica 90mm f2 summicron,
Sigma 400mm apo tele-macro for Canon,
Canon 80-200mm f/2.8L,
Canon 70-200mm f4L is,
Canon 17-35mm f/2.8L,
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon,
Canon 50mm f/1.8

I love shooting slow moving creatures, and since the 400mm nikon will have to be manual focused I thought the A7 would allow me to do critical focusing more easily with its focus peaking and zoom capabilities. My first choice was the 6d but its hard to manual focus with it compared to the Sony, on a birds eyeball.

Edited on Jan 01, 2014 at 01:17 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need camera body buying advice.

Hi Wordy,

Welcome to FM.

If you want 'decent' AF for the EF lenses, you might want to consider a 6D, although it's a bit more expensive than the A7.

Jim

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need camera body buying advice.

It looks like you need a Canon body, or a body which accepts a Canon adapter (both the Leicas and the Nikkor can obviously be adapted to Canon).

If you want full frame, then as Jim says, there is the 6D, or the A7/A7R. If you want full-frame, but find the prices too high, you are looking at used equipment. If you are fine with crop, then the Fuji X-series, and some mid-range Canon bodies come into play, as well as possibly Micro Four Thirds. Looking at your wides, it might make sense to stay full frame though.

Keep in mind that in Florida the light is very contrasty, and that all current Canon sensors have a couple to several stops less dynamic range than the competition, depending on what you are comparing, since Canon have allowed themselves to fall behind in this area. Also keep in mind that wildlife can move quite fast, so you will need good AF if you want to keep up with moving critters, which again means a high-end Canon body (with these lenses).

These factors pull in somewhat different directions. Perhaps you can give more detail about your priorities.

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.