Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

vet4scuba
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

As a new owner of the600F4 VR . I have an Induro tripod & Gimble head & shoot with a D3 s .
Would any seasoned 600 shooters be willing to share with me any NO NO 's or helpfull tips to USEING this lens .
I have found lots of reviews about the lens but no info about the practical use of this lens.
Thanks for your help.
Joe Parisi.
Marco island fl.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:29 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

What you need to do is start hanging around on the Nature & Wildlife forum.

Study the images, read the exif files when available.

That's how I learn. Look at real life images and study them. Then pm the poster if something interests you.

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:34 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

Search the internet, and you will find some articles like:

http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/longlens.html
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/long-lens-techniques.html

And like everything else, practice makes perfect... Good luck and enjoy the lens!

Keith W.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:28 PM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

Hey Joe,

Which tripod and which gimbal? The Nature and Wildlife so forum are filled to the brim with VERY helpful and informative individuals, but I'm quite sure that this will be the first question they will ask you.

And to save you some time researching and combing through endless threads, every road will lead to the following support combo:

RRS TVC-34L (or TVC-33)
Wimberley WH200 Gimbal

Cheers!
Sebastian

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:09 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

That is the tripod and gimbal head that I use with my Nikon 600mm. And another vote for checking out the N&W forum on FM - great inspiration there!
Keith W.

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:12 PM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

It was my combo as well until I switched over to be Cb gimbal for a more compact setup.

kwilliam8 wrote:
That is the tripod and gimbal head that I use with my Nikon 600mm. And another vote for checking out the N&W forum on FM - great inspiration there!
Keith W.

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:39 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

Have a Jobu Jr 3 deluxe. Fairly light, mounts on the bottom of the lens and feels rugged to support even the heaviest setup. Not sure how why some of these setups get so huge when the entire system is based on proper balancing.

Have a RRS TVC-33S tripod. Thing is a beast. Apparently they even have a more rugged version now.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:03 PM
vet4scuba
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

Thank you all for your ideas & help.
Joe.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:34 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

First, congratulations. It is certainly a great experience to be able to shoot with a 600.

As others have said, an appropriate tripod with a full gimble head will make your life easier and dramatically increase the keeper rate. I have shot mine hand held on quite a few occasions when there was not sufficient time to get the tripod set up. But, I shoot it on the tripod well over 90% of the time.

I did the micro adjust exercise and found that mine did not require any adjustment (on a D700).

The most counterintuitive thing for me was the idea that you really need to be making contact with the lens and camera when the shutter fires. Google "long lens technique" and you will find out more than you might want to know.

Practice was quite important for me. It is amazing how this lens will uncover any subtle flaw in technique. With the proper technique, it is razor sharp at all apertures and distances.

I find that mine takes the 1.4 extender very well and the 1.7 extender quite well. The 1.7 is spectacular at close distances (when shooting smaller critters), but I seem to get results that are not quite as good at longer distances. This is probably due more to atmospherics than to any optical issues with the extender.

Visit the N&W forum regularly and post some pictures when you get a chance.

Good luck.

Steve

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:09 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting within Nikon 600mm F 4 VR ?

I use a 5 series Gitzo and wimberly head with my 600mm - awesome combo. Make sure you're using good long lens technique (the link above from moose is great) and remember shutter speed is your friend - especially when you first start. I recently posted a thread over in Nature and Wildlife with shots from it:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1262868

Most also had a 1.4TC attached.

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.