Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/assumptions-expectations-and-plastic-mounts
reality strikes again.

Edited on Jan 01, 2014 at 11:21 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

Reality Rules !

You go, Roger and Aaron.

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:02 AM
3iron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

I had no idea my Canon 24-70I had a plastic mount. I would have sold it immediately; just kidding. Great information.

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:23 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

I think there is confusion regarding the term 'mount'. I assumed he was talking about the bayonet mount (or screw mount) which is the part that physically connects the lens to the camera. RC is talking about an internal piece that's not visible which connects the bayonet to the camera. And if you read the comments to his post, many people mention this.

So, when he initially lists his 'facts' at the beginning about what people are stating about the mounts on lens, I suspect many people are referring to the bayonet mount not the internal mount.

I can only think of a couple of lenses that use plastic bayonet mounts...like the kit lenses. 18-55 comes to mind. See link to photo from Ken Rockwell's site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr/D3S_4448-rear.jpg

And I would suspect those plastic bayonet mounts would not last as long as the metal ones.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

the point he is simply trying to make is the idea of the so called "professional build" is all metal. it turns out when you peel back that thin external veneer it not all what some think.

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

Yeah, the mount is the bit that touches the camera.

I'm not sure what you call the bit that the mount is attached to.
I've never heard anyone, including lens technicians or lens manufacturers, refer to this part as the mount.

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:06 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

I was taught that the metal part with flanges that attaches to the camera is the bayonet mount. The part of the lens that the screws attach the bayonet mount to is the lens mount.

But I agree, I made the semantics more confusing than they needed to be.

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:22 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

RCicala wrote:
I was taught that the metal part with flanges that attaches to the camera is the bayonet mount. The part of the lens that the screws attach the bayonet mount to is the lens mount.

But I agree, I made the semantics more confusing than they needed to be.

Nevertheless, your blog post is still spot-on regarding expectations and assumptions (as your posts usually are).

I've met people shooting D3000s with an 18-55 kit who shoot in full auto and couldn't tell you the difference between an f-stop and a rest stop who believe they bought a 'professional' camera (just like the pro's use) solely because it's a DSLR and not a point-n-shoot. I'm not bashing the D3000 nor the (pretty darn good) kit lens. It's just they have established un-real expectations based on their limited understanding and based on the basic shape of their new 'pro' camera.

And those false assumptions and expectations that you wrote about in your blog apply to anything in life...even hammers.

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:13 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

Probably those really hard plastic mounts leading to Nikon's infamous "impact damage" claims on the D800 and other cameras.

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:50 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Roger C & Aaron C: a view of reality from the inside.

I don't think the semantics of what is considered a "mount" actually matters here.

The overarching point here is that structural components might be metal, or they might be plastic, and their status as one material or another doesn't define their longevity/reliability.

Some plastics have gotten pretty amazing, becoming harder/more durable/longer wearing than many metals. On the other hand, it's certainly possible for metal to perform better. Even among the materials, though, you can't judge without knowing more. What type of metal or plastic is being used? Two lenses next to each other, both with metal mounts, may not even be close in terms of durability if they use different alloys.

Regardless, it's a great article and a good demonstration of how poorly a lot of people understand the terms they believe in or even evangelize.

Jan 02, 2014 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.