New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Creating presence - Another take

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Creating presence - Another take

Processed another B&W architectural image. Critical comments on what to improve - welcome.

cheers
msoomro

© msoomro 2013

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:24 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Creating presence - Another take

I like the comp--how the building rises out of the corner of the frame. If I had to be critical, it's maybe a little too sharp (or too much clarity slider) for my taste, but that's really a matter of taste.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:00 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Creating presence - Another take

I also like the comp. As for critique, the banding in the sky is a bit distracting. I've found that this often happens with blue sky.

Dec 31, 2013 at 06:24 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Creating presence - Another take

another good one for your collection. interesting how the building look like it is laying down.
I might suggest cropping the top and right side some.
regards, tom

Dec 31, 2013 at 07:50 PM
srudy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Creating presence - Another take

I really like this series. I agree with Tom on the cropping suggestion. As for the banding and the glow around the building: I have that issue as well in some of my conversions, especially when darkening the sky with a filter or with the blue channel slider. I'd be interested if anyone has a solution that doesn't involve a lot of painstaking brushwork.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:52 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Creating presence - Another take

Thanks all for comments and feedback.

I'll have some time in next day or two so will test new crop. Banding has been a challenge. Sometime adding little noise removes visible banding. Will test that out as well.

Other images in series can be found here
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1263070/0#12030734

cheers

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Creating presence - Another take

Another fantastic shot, Msomro! All of them are great. The banding is a huge problem, though. If you were to enter a print of this in any professional contest, the banding would disqualify it immediately. And, if we can see the banding on a small file jpeg upload, it will probably be much worse in a large print. I hate banding and in my experience it is nearly impossible to get rid of it. If someone could invent a good third party banding removal plugin, they'd make a fortune. Personally, I love the sharpness of this photo and I wouldn't touch the crop. However, I think the only way to save it is to cut out the sky completely and replace it with a completely flat, neutral grey or, better still, a non-banded sky from another photo. The only way you can get that is to use a non-processed sky. The moment you start changing levels, contrast, etc, the banding starts to emerge. I've even tried building a non-banded black to white gradient as an experiment and it simply doesn't work - no matter the size or the pixel density. I once ruined a terrific shot of mine by doing all the sharpening, levels, clarity, etc. which did wonders for the building and completely banded the small gradients that made up the clouds. I had to replace the sky entirely to fix it. What a drag! Instead of putting out new CS versions, Adobe ought to work on eliminating banding in its gradients.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!

Endre

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:32 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Creating presence - Another take

Strad: Quite true. In those image where I see banding, I have to work a lot to diffuse it to acceptable levels. Sometimes I am successful. Adding little bit of noise int he sky area tones the banding somewhat. I have not printed the image yet so I hope it is just a jpeg conversion or resizing artifact. I'll be printing it in a day or so and will post what i see. If the banding stays then replacing sky (or eliminating an PP in the sky portion) may be the way to go like you pointed out. Thanks

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:20 PM
bigv_sorvino

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Creating presence - Another take

Very cool

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.