New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Hi, I have been looking into the Nikon system a lot lately and I have been noticing that the D4/Df images have a different color response. I generally found the D4/Df images have more pleasing color. I know this is very subjective and with processing a LOT can be done but still I keep being drawn to the D4/Df look. Anyone that has used both cameras have a comment/experience on this? I know that both sensors are different, one is sourced from Sony (D800/E) and the other is a Nikon design. Thanks for your help.

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:35 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

"I generally found the D4/Df images have more pleasing color. "

you sure you're not just trying to justify buying one

just kidding, I don't know the answer, sorry

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:39 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

I have both a D4 and a couple D800 bodies. I think there is a subtle difference between the two (I think the D800 have richer colors by a hair), but in all honesty I don't think it's that big of a difference. I've never really thought about it that much until you mentioned it. (Although, for my use the D4 tends to be strictly wildlife, the D800 bodies tend to be strictly landscape, so I haven't done any direct comparisons).

IMO these cameras are made for wildly different uses and subtle color differences should not be the deciding factor when choosing one over the other. Just my 2 cents

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:24 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Are you referring to how the colors look when using auto WB? If so they all tend to tint on the green side, at least the ones I've used. Color usually needs to be fixed in post.

Here's an example with the Df.

Auto-WB:

Mid-air fight for tiny fish by [email protected], on Flickr

Fixed in Post:

Obviously it will vary depending on conditions.

Also if your screen is not calibrated then you can't be sure if the colors are correct to begin with.

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

No auto wb (I never use it really), just the overall color. I am trying to pin down what it is. I am looking at higher iso images in mixed light (interior or night exteriors) and the colors seem smoother. I am probably using the wrong term. (I am no techie). Color response just seems different.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

The color response by these cameras is impacted by so many factors. What is common to the D4, D800/E is the reddish cast when applying DL with HighISO shots. The Df is more like the D3 series which show less of this behavior.

Just put a Zeiss lens on the Df or D800 and the color response is different vs. the same camera with a Nikkor lens.

rgds,
Andy

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

I haven't researched this ether, but I have noticed a general subtle difference too.

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:12 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Yep, the color difference is green.
Like $100 bills...

Jan 02, 2014 at 05:33 AM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

"Yep, the color difference is green.
Like $100 bills..."

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:06 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

I have quite a colour correction preset in Lightroom for the green cast given by my D800. Took a while to tweak it, but am very happy now. I can pick on a grey now and it falls into place correctly, rather than giving a strong green cast to the whole image

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:22 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

I usually like my D800 better in good lighting, but in incandescent lighting or more difficult lighting (when there are mirrors, elevated ceilings with drop down steel panels, variable lighting in different locations in the room, assuming I left my gels at home), I prefer my D4.

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Having shot both the D800 and D4 side-by-side on a recent trip, I am absolutely positive that they render colors differently. One is not better than the other though, just different.

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:25 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

DXO mark does say the color response for each camera is different(Go to measurements color response):
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D800E
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D4
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/Df

The Df and D4 are much closer, then the D4 or Df is to the D800e.

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

MazeRunner wrote:
I usually like my D800 better in good lighting, but in incandescent lighting or more difficult lighting (when there are mirrors, elevated ceilings with drop down steel panels, variable lighting in different locations in the room, assuming I left my gels at home), I prefer my D4.

two different made sensors and CFA
D4 is better due the different signal and gain in the blue channel pixel vs pixel in higher iso than d800 and in lower color temperatures as 2800K the softwares has problems with d800 and reproducing shadows, black
The shadow twisting against red in high iso is easy to correct/adjust away .
Different colors depends more often of the chosen profile internally or in the raw converter
I have my own profiles done to my d800 made by www.qpcard.com software and have got very similar colors out from all my cameras, both Nikon and Canon

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D4/Df vs D800/E in regards to Color

Mikael Risedal wrote:
two different made sensors and CFA
D4 is better due the different signal and gain in the blue channel pixel vs pixel in higher iso than d800 and in lower color temperatures as 2800K the softwares has problems with d800 and reproducing shadows, black
The shadow twisting against red in high iso is easy to correct/adjust away .
Different colors depends more often of the chosen profile internally or in the raw converter
I have my own profiles done to my d800 made by www.qpcard.com software and have got very similar colors out from all my cameras, both Nikon and Canon

Thx for the info!

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.