New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I'm looking for a more comfortable shoulder strap for the 5DIII as an alternative to the original canon strap. I would appreciate any input on which of the Optech shoulder straps would work best? Or, if there is another type of shoulder strap that you recommend over the Optech, I am open to that as well.

Margaret

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:55 PM
tuanvo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I have been using a BlackRapid Sport Slim and attached to it the Manfrotto 323 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter with 200PL-14 Plate. Quick and comfortable!

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I like thin straps and use an 'up-strap'. The Black Rapid or Cotton Carrier seem to be popular these days. people who use the Optech's seem to like them too.

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Domke Gripper 1.5" straps are the best!

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:30 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Margret, I am an old guy that has neck problems. I love the OPTECH Pro Strap. Also the dual harness is great you don't have to use it with two cameras.

They are available direct on OPTEC's sidewalk sale. http://optechusa.com/sidewalk-sale.html

I like to undo the strap when I am in close shooting, so the strap doesn't catch on something. I do the ends together and twist them around my wrist as an added protection.

Good shooting. J. R.

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:58 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

JR Photo wrote:
Margret, I am an old guy that has neck problems. I love the OPTECH Pro Strap. Also the dual harness is great you don't have to use it with two cameras.

They are available direct on OPTEC's sidewalk sale. http://optechusa.com/sidewalk-sale.html

I like to undo the strap when I am in close shooting, so the strap doesn't catch on something. I do the ends together and twist them around my wrist as an added protection.

Good shooting. J. R.

+

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:21 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I really appreciate all the input. I will check out all the great suggestions!

Margaret

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I use a Crumpler Singapore Slim. Reasons why I got it was the price was really good, it was thin yet strong enough for my gear and you can adjust strap length in a snap so it's essentially can be a neck or shoulder strap in a few seconds. It also has quick release straps as well. If I do get another strap though I'll probably end up getting one of the Black Rapid straps.

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:09 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

I like the Op/Tech Super Classic Pro-Loop Straps: Op/Tech Super Classic

I have been using them on all my cameras for years. They are narrower (2 inches) than a lot of Op/Tech straps (I don't like their Pro straps for this reason). There are rubber nubs to help keep the strap from slipping off your shoulder, but they are not so prominent that they bother my bare neck, even on a hot summer day.

You still need to be aware when carrying on your shoulder. I bet the Domke grips better, but it's not a neoprene strap.

Mark

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:01 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

jcolwell wrote:

+1

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Gomphus

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

tuanvo wrote:
I have been using a BlackRapid Sport Slim and attached to it the Manfrotto 323 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter with 200PL-14 Plate. Quick and comfortable!

Do you have confidence that this setup will not accidentally release while carrying the camera? I use the black rapid and need to remove the rc2 and install an ARCA plate to use my tripod.

Thanks.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

mspencer1 wrote:
I'm looking for a more comfortable shoulder strap for the 5DIII as an alternative to the original canon strap. I would appreciate any input on which of the Optech shoulder straps would work best? Or, if there is another type of shoulder strap that you recommend over the Optech, I am open to that as well.

Margaret

Get a Black Rapid RS-4 strap. Best move I made. Weight is on your shoulder instead of neck. Attaches securely to your tripod mount on bottom of camera. Holds a 1DX with 500 f4 attached with no problem. With the heavier lenses like the 500 f4, I would just attach to lens instead of body.

http://www.blackrapid.com/community/videos/?id=66#66

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

The Cinch by Luma Labs.
As the straps go it is considerably better made from better materials then Black Rapid. BR's webbing is Polypropylene based vs Nylon on the luma product.

BR has too many parts separate parts and lots of metal that regularly comes in contact with the camera itself.

Both of them make a less then adequate camera attachment system, but there is an answer

The BR is a sliding system. Moving in crowds and around tends to make things slide around. I had it and couldn't stand it. The cinch is adjustable on the fly. It allows the camera to be snugged up close to the body reducing uncontrolled swing when not in shooting position.

Now as I said both are lacking in the camera attachment depth. There is a 3rd party product which is better design and demonstrably stronger. It is also camera/bracket agnostic. If there is a 1/4-20 threaded hole in either your lens mount, bracket, camera body it will work. It is called the Custom SLR C Loop.

See this thread:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1259424/0?keyword=cinch#11994381

The C loop is designed in a simple way that it requires your concerted to remove it from whatever point you choose to use to carry your camera.

For an idea of security of the C Loop here is a fun video
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=c+loop+video&FORM=VIRE15#view=detail&mid=F30D8A3469E8A969D824F30D8A3469E8A969D824
For real fun watch this one
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=c+loop+truck+pull&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=F53302E9CC5D8FCE9FC3F53302E9CC5D8FCE9FC3

Come February makes it 2 years using this setup. I have a total of 3

The cinches lower straps are modular so they can be relatively easily replaced as things wear.

Edited on Jan 02, 2014 at 09:32 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:40 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

jcolwell wrote:

Hi. Do you know of anything like the Gripper but without the QR clips?

Cheers.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Paul Mo wrote:

Do you mean something like the Peak Designs Leash? It's very versatile but not ideal if you carry a very heavy setup.

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:14 AM
SR777
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Paul Mo wrote:

Cheers.

I have been using the Domke Gripper 1" strap (part number 740-1BK) without the QR for years. They work very well on the shoulder, around the neck or wrapped around the wrist. I just got the Think Tank photo camera strap, also without the QR.

Jan 02, 2014 at 06:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Paul Mo wrote:

Cheers.

Hi Paul,

I don't use the Domke QR gizmos on my Grippers. Here's two archived threads that show my DIY setup.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067381/1#10163047
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1103127/0#10530515

I've been using this approach since 2007, for camera+lens weights up to about 3 kg (1D-series + 70-200/2.8L IS) with no problems.

For heavier lenses (e.g. 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS) I used the Canon heavy lens strap, and I recently switched to the Upstrap large-pad camera strap with heavy-duty kevlar release 'straplets'.

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

SR777 wrote:
I have been using the Domke Gripper 1" strap (part number 740-1BK)

Cheers.

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:41 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I decided to go with the OpTech Super Classic Pro Loop strap and the Domke Gripper 1.5" strap. I am sure that these will be more comfortable than the Canon straps I have been using for years

Margaret

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shoulder Strap for 5DIII

sjms wrote:
The Cinch by Luma Labs.

Any idea how Luma Labs compares to JOBY's straps (that also have a cinch system)? Has anyone tried JOBY?

I've never tried any type of sling strap (one shoulder) and am worried it will affect my ability to change prime lenses @ weddings quickly.

Jan 09, 2014 at 10:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.