New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

Paul_100A
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

For use with m4/3...so that's why it's a manual focus lens.
I want a 300mm lens (non-zoom) and not I'm going to spring for Olympus' 300 2.8.
I've narrowed my choices to the two offerings from the thread's title.
I have just recently received an EX+ Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF from KEH. The S# (2323xx)indicates it's a very late model (from it's production years) so it's about as new as it can be I guess. It's mint save for a scuff on the lens cap.
KEH only had the non L 300 FD.
I have looked at plenty of 'WEB sized' images from these two lenses and I really am impressed with both.
So much so that I am still wanting the Canon to compare and then keep the one I like best.

Being that I am unaccustomed to super-teles I haven't developed a great hand holding technique so i use a monopod/tripod with the Nikkor 300mm.
I like what I see so far but never had/used any 300 before (and it's on a tripod) so i can not compare to anything I know of.
I would like to hear opinions/consensus on which of the two is considered the 'sharper' lens. I realize there are better/worse copies of identical lenses to take into consideration.
CA and color rendition I don't really care so much about as sharpness/contrast.
Thanks,
Paul

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:54 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

Pretty fine line here...

As an ex Canon shooter from the late 80's-Mid 90's, I had occasion to use the larger glass made around that time period on my F1's. Granted... this is film shooting.. and we're now in digital.

I too have an older 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF (not AI) for use on my D3s bodies and I just won''t let it go. There's not enough cash to make me do it. For the piddly sum of $1,900 I have in it, it does all I need and more. The older glass... is that, older glass. But it's still tack sharp without a tele, built like a tank, and works... A tad slow on the focus (comparably) but, what snappin images.

If you have concerns about the contrast and sharpness.. You're in the right boat now. Stay there.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:49 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

Thanks John,
I've found a mint copy Nikkor 300 Ais ED IF F/4.5 from KEH. unbelievable great condition.
i like what i see so far but i really can't get out much (it's too damn cold here in Edmonton) to really put it to the test.
I've since discovered that the Nikkor (4.5) has one low dispersion element as opposed to two low dispersion elements on the Canon FD 300 f/4 L.
the canon FD 300 2.8 L has the two low dispersion elements and the flourite elements as well.
I'm not sure if the Nikkor Ais 300 2.8 has more low dispersion (or ultra low dispersion) glass than the 4.5.
I'm trying to find an (EX+) FD 300 F/4 L to compare to my 300 AiS ED IF f/4.5.
i'll keep whichever i find to be sharper.
i just do not use the super teles enough right now to go with the 2.8.
Paul

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:48 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

Alternative gear and lenses subforum is the best place to ask these kind of questions. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:26 AM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

cool. how do i move all this to there?
Paul

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:50 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

Just start another thread there, I guess.

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:17 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikkor AiS 300 ED-IF vs Canon FD 300 F/4 L

double post

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.