New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon in camera HDR

waldr_p
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon in camera HDR

I recently decided to try out the in camera HDR feature on my 5D MkIII.

I've always liked the look of some HDR images though I've never tried HDR imaging before. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread for sharing Canon in-camera HDR images and for people to post any tips they have on how to get the best out of this feature.

These images were shot using the 'Art Standard' mode with 'Adjust Dynamic Range' option set to 'Automatic'. I also dialled in some exposure compensation.

http://m4.i.pbase.com/o9/11/572611/1/153864444.RU58SW13.OldTownSquare3085.JPG

http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/11/572611/1/153864423.Nau0NuIP.CharlesBridgeView3069.JPG

http://m2.i.pbase.com/o9/11/572611/1/153864462.AqPOtHoh.ViewtoPragueCastle3066.JPG

I also just found this Canon guide on using the HDR feature.

If you have any in camera HDR shots you'd like to share or any tips on using this feature then please post these below!

Paul.

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:18 PM
lhdvries
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon in camera HDR

Nice use of a very "cool" feature.

Leon

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:58 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon in camera HDR

Some folks dislike this feature because the resulting file is in JPG format but it is actually nice. I normally save the RAW files and back then I tried to "improve" the HDR using the RAW files on PS but I ended up liking the in-camera HDR result better. May be it was more my HDR processing skill that was not up to par. Anyway, I agree, this is a cool feature.

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:11 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon in camera HDR

What Canon needs to do, is produce an app that either wirelessly or via the USB cable, allows the photographer to treat the Digic 5 (or 6, or 7, etc.) chips as a processing engine.

Imagine if you're in a pinch, and you want to harness your camera's ability to process image data, no matter how inefficient it may be. Even if it's something like DPP "lite" you could process CR2s via the camera, while altering settings via a smartphone touchscreen app.

Then, pipeline them to your phone and you are off running for further distribution. If I were a photojournalist, I would go nuts over such a feature.

More nuts than I already am, mind you.

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:47 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon in camera HDR

I sure don't see anything wrong with these examples. They illustrate a good dynamic range and more of what you probably may have seen if on sight. Rather noise free as well which to me is a huge component.

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:56 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon in camera HDR

I'm glad that you like the in-camera HDR feature. It's wasted on me, unfortunately. I don't do HDR too often but when I do, I find the Photoshop HDR way better than in camera HDR so I don't use the in-camera HDR very much.

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:24 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon in camera HDR

I have an HDR program. I tried the Canon in camera but I don't care for it. Also I shoot all RAW as my files sometimes have to go to print and I need full hi rez files.

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon in camera HDR

^^^^^^^^

thing is like AGeoJO said , you can shoot RAW and keep those RAW files . so while the HDR generated is a jpeg you can still work on those raw files afterwards .

even if you just use it as a 'culling' mode to weed out image sets that arent worth spending time on its still a good feature to have .

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:41 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon in camera HDR

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
^^^^^^^^

thing is like AGeoJO said , you can shoot RAW and keep those RAW files . so while the HDR generated is a jpeg you can still work on those raw files afterwards .

even if you just use it as a 'culling' mode to weed out image sets that arent worth spending time on its still a good feature to have .

Good point.

I guess I just shoot the over and under I want and use my program on Lightroom (an add-on).

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon in camera HDR

Nice shots Waldr.
I just got a new 5d and I'm looking foreward to using this feature. Your photos give me a benchmark to aspire to.

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:59 AM
ardvorak
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon in camera HDR

Paul, these are really, really great shots! My parents were married in the square directly in front of the Prague Astronomical Clock in your first picture.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon in camera HDR

You actually like the look of HDR? Please don't tell me you enjoy selective color too and soft focus too.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon in camera HDR

I also keep the raws and then process myself in ps.
I've liked the results better when I can control how much and where.
I usually combine with some masking. I really don't care for the halos mine
Gives sometimes in some of the in camera modes.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon in camera HDR

Ben Horne wrote:
You actually like the look of HDR? Please don't tell me you enjoy selective color too and soft focus too.

I don't know about what you are looking at...but that first shot is a killer. There are times where I love the look of HDR for certain subject matter and if you are after a certain look or feel with the shot. It's just another "tool" that can be used when appropriate...very much like using wide apertures to create very shallow DOF...it has it's place.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon in camera HDR

Ben Horne wrote:

I personally despise selective color. But do like HDR.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon in camera HDR

Ben Horne wrote:

Soft focus - no, but selective colour - guilty as charged!

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/11/572611/1/152297788.QO24RwKX.PostBox1644.JPG

Paul.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon in camera HDR

chez wrote:
I don't know about what you are looking at...but that first shot is a killer. There are times where I love the look of HDR for certain subject matter and if you are after a certain look or feel with the shot. It's just another "tool" that can be used when appropriate...very much like using wide apertures to create very shallow DOF...it has it's place.

Based on my own experience, there are much better ways to deal with high contrast scenes than HDR. The problem with HDR is that it leaves your images full of artifacts and halos. The photos in this thread aren't over the top HDRs by any means, but there are also some dark halos around some of the subjects that would need to be dealt with. That's the sort of stuff that can be avoided by using other means. Though HDR is certainly a tool, I find that there are much better tools for the job. I could certainly pound a nail in the wall with a pipe wrench, but I'm probably also bang up the wall or my fingers in the process. A hammer will do the job much better.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon in camera HDR

Ben Horne wrote:
Based on my own experience, there are much better ways to deal with high contrast scenes than HDR. The problem with HDR is that it leaves your images full of artifacts and halos. The photos in this thread aren't over the top HDRs by any means, but there are also some dark halos around some of the subjects that would need to be dealt with. That's the sort of stuff that can be avoided by using other means. Though HDR is certainly a tool, I find that there are much better tools for the job. I could certainly pound
...Show more

Ben, you don't get it. Sometimes the HDR look is what people are after, including the halos. I've shot some "gothic" type photos of old parts of town using HDR and from my POV, I think the HDR effect really adds to the photo. Like I said, it's just a tool in your chest not to be used for everything, but has it's place for a specific look.

Dec 31, 2013 at 01:08 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon in camera HDR

Ben Horne wrote:
Based on my own experience, there are much better ways to deal with high contrast scenes than HDR. The problem with HDR is that it leaves your images full of artifacts and halos. The photos in this thread aren't over the top HDRs by any means, but there are also some dark halos around some of the subjects that would need to be dealt with. That's the sort of stuff that can be avoided by using other means. Though HDR is certainly a tool, I find that there are much better tools for the job. I could certainly pound
...Show more

what specifically "are much better tools for the job"?

…not being sarcastic just looking to learn

Thanks

Dec 31, 2013 at 01:12 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon in camera HDR

The best HDR's are the one's that you have no idea it was applied to the image. It usually gets a bad wrap due to 99% attempts you see plastered on the internet are not done well. It's not easy to do good HDR. A combination of various techniques of luminousity blending with manual blending, dodge/burn, even HDR etc etc etc probably give you more control. Regardless of what blending technique you choose the photographer themselves and the other various aspects of a good photo still needs to be dominate and not simply think you can fix/creat a beautiful scene just because you can HDR

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.