New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anna's Hummingbird II

pixarezzo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anna's Hummingbird II

Here's a screen capture of the OOC original...

Here's the results - besides the usual adjustments, some purposely oversharpening in PS CS6.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anna's Hummingbird II

Consider a noise reduction aid. Here's an example using Topaz DeNoise and a bit of blur tool in PS:

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anna's Hummingbird II

Then perhaps an USM filter at 16, 60, 0 to bump mid-tone contrast and a small exposure layer exposure bump:

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:44 PM
pixarezzo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anna's Hummingbird II

Those look great and the tools worth a look, but Iitwas the grainy, gritty look that I liked.

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anna's Hummingbird II

pixarezzo wrote:
Those look great and the tools worth a look, but Iitwas the grainy, gritty look that I liked.

Your call, but the grainy look is an unusual choice for a color nature shot
And it is a fine capture
My own preference is for the first of Karen's two reworks for a slightly more natural look
What is the statement that the grain/grit is supposed to make?

Scott

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:28 PM
pixarezzo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anna's Hummingbird II

My statement? None really but maybe when one thinks of hummers, late December isn't usually a time associated with them - so I thought the gritty, grainy look worked. Like you , I prefer a more natural looking image - it was more an attempt to salvage a less than optimal image. The fact that it was different was what piqued my interest as I have plenty of "conventional captures. Thank you all for your comments.

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anna's Hummingbird II

Karen has already given some excellent advice but I have a question. Why intentionally over-sharpen? Are these major crops or the original? You demonstrated good timing on these. Jim

Edited on Dec 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:07 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anna's Hummingbird II

I kind of like the pointillistic looking grain, but might dial the amount a bit differently so it doesn't pull as much to the BG and a bit less around the face. Also tweaked on the WB/toning. Definitely a rendering to taste vibe. Lemonade can be sweet or sour depending on your taste, just use it to push/pull where you want your viewer to see.

Diggin' the capture and the vibe ... makes for some darn good lemonade, imo. Just might need some tweaking on the sugar & lemons to get it where you want it.

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.