New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · High speed sync with monolight

maxx9photo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High speed sync with monolight

Would this be possible if I set up my in camera setting 1/8000 th and pair with Dynalite monolight uni400jr. I got pitch dark result above 1/320 and up. Strobe setting is at 1/2 power output connected with PW II.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM
colinm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High speed sync with monolight

Nope. Even putting aside the technical discussion of how focal plane shutters achieve speeds that high (they fake it—the shutter never fully opens), your Dynalite has a flash duration of 1/1100 at half power.

Therefore, even with the right triggers and a healthy dose of perfect luck, you'd be able to sync no faster than 1/1100.

If you describe what you're trying to do and why you ended up at 1/8000, we might be able to offer some suggestions for alternate solutions.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High speed sync with monolight

If you want to do this you will need to use Pocketwizard's TT-1 and TT-5 models for either Nikon or Canon and use Hypersync not high speed sync. Depending on the speed of the Dynalite and camera body you should be able to get usable images up to 1/4000 and maybe 1/8000. Go to their site and review their Hypersync info and there are a number of YouTube's on it too. I'm getting about 1/2000 with my Elinchrom Quadra and about 1/4000 with an RX-600. The slower the strobe the higher the sync speed you can achieve without banding.

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:22 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High speed sync with monolight

maxx9photo wrote:
...I got pitch dark result above 1/320 and up. Strobe setting is at 1/2 power output connected with PW II.

The reason you got an underexposed image is because above 1/320 (or slower depending on your camera) the shutter on your camera is never completely open. Instead, to get a short exposure, the second curtain starts to close before the first curtain has finished its travel, creating a moving slit that exposes each part of the sensor for less than 1/320 as it passes. The shorter the shutter speed, the narrower the slit.

Here's a video that explains it:

#t=64

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:20 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High speed sync with monolight

I found this link and am trying to get similar result,

http://www.lebryk.com/breaking-the-sync-limit-part-1/

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High speed sync with monolight

As I said you cannot do what you want to without the TT-1 and TT-5. Do you have them?

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High speed sync with monolight

Gregg Heckler wrote:
As I said you cannot do what you want to without the TT-1 and TT-5. Do you have them?

I'm planning to get them and replacing my PW II.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High speed sync with monolight

Hypersync is good with a slow enough flash.

However, if the lighting setup allows it, just place a hot shoe flash on your camera, set it to HSS mode, and aim it at the optical sensor on your monolight. You'll likely get a 100% clean frame a full power and 1/8000 almost every time.

The backup in that case is to attach a Pw plus III to your camera's PC port (in addition to a flash on the shoe). If for some reason the hot shoe flash doesn't trigger the monolight then the Pw will with a slight delay. In most cases that means at 1/8000 you lose a small sliver on the bottom of your frame to darkness.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High speed sync with monolight

I finally figured it out with FlexTT5, below shot with Dynalite monolight 400jr set at the lowest power, in camera setting F2.8 and 1/8000th

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High speed sync with monolight

Good work but why would you choose this type of shot for this? Typically you need this technique for being able to shoot outdoor in bright, ambient light, wide open. Why did you need to shoot a portrait like this at 1/8000?

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:58 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High speed sync with monolight

Greg, eventually I will use this set up for some action outdoor, which will require High speed flash sync.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High speed sync with monolight

That's what I thought but I was thinking you might be trying to control the amount of light output in the studio via shutter speed. For this ND gels are much easier or just using the modeling lamps. Good job figuring it all out.

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:44 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High speed sync with monolight

Thank you, basically that shot alone in a bright room, with the help of the hypersync from TT5 I was able to blur out the background completely dark or underexposed except the face area (I used 10' grid too).

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.