New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sensor Life Expectancy

petermgreen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensor Life Expectancy

Does anyone have a handle on the life expectancy of D800 FX sensors ( in actuations) ?

Also related -Does a habitual use of hour long exposures - with sensor heating to the point of purple sensor burn along the edges of the resultant pictures - shorten the life of the sensor ?

How many cycles of this sort of use can the sensor withstand before its' efficacy is reduced ?

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensor Life Expectancy

I don't think you'll get many answers based on actual data. My guess, however, is that most DLSRs are trashed because of some other issue long before the sensor gives out.

Josh

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensor Life Expectancy

What JoshI said. By the way, i don't think there will be heating of the sensor to the point of reliability concerns during long exposures. My impression was that sensor heating was a problem mostly with video, and that is entirely different because readout is taking place continuously.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensor Life Expectancy

Even Nikon can't tell you as they have sensors that last millions of actuations and some that last hundreds. The QC testing they do reveals the expected median and that's where the number in the specifications comes from.

The testing they do however do not push sensors past normal thresholds. They are simply tested at intervals of a certain number of actuations per minute over a prolonged period of time until failure.

So quite honestly there would be no way to answer the question specific to your case.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensor Life Expectancy

FWIW, my D1X, purchased in 2002, is still going strong.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensor Life Expectancy

Check with Spencer’s Camera & Photo in Alpine, Utah. They modify cameras for NASA for long exposures.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensor Life Expectancy

I expect them to last as long as they will, and not one day longer. The ratings are estimates, and just that. There is nothing saying that it couldn't go earlier than expected, or keep on clicking for years after the rated expectancy.

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:05 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensor Life Expectancy

I would suspect the actual mechanical parts (ie) Shutter coils, buttons, switches have a much better chance of parts being measured in MTBF hours, the sensors would have to be way down on the scale of parts failing on a body.

As DGC1 stated.. He and I both have a D1x from 2002 working here (and there). It's sees the light of day once or twice a month. Still going like the day it came out of the box.

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:28 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sensor Life Expectancy

Sensors will last forever for photography, practically. Using them for video is another matter entirely: hot and dead pixels from overheating, while not ruining the sensor, require a trip to the factory to map them out, and SLRs used to shoot a lot of video generally get them.

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:21 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sensor Life Expectancy

I suspect the sensor itself would be the last to go in a camera - the ancillary electronics and LCD screens would likely go first.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sensor Life Expectancy

I have shot Canon bodies through a quarter million exposures and they were as good as the day I opened the box. I would imagine Nikon is up to those kinds of specs as well.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:56 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sensor Life Expectancy

The only reports I can recall of sensors "failing" have been from the D3s...and based on the sample images posted they all looked like the same issue, with one of the readout channels failing to keep sync. I've seen maybe 5 reports of those. From what I understand the D3s's sensor complex is rather, well, complex

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:15 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sensor Life Expectancy

petermgreen wrote:
Does anyone have a handle on the life expectancy of D800 FX sensors ( in actuations) ?

Also related -Does a habitual use of hour long exposures - with sensor heating to the point of purple sensor burn along the edges of the resultant pictures - shorten the life of the sensor ?

How many cycles of this sort of use can the sensor withstand before its' efficacy is reduced ?

Don't know about the long exposures, but Nikon has tested to 200k actuations.

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.