FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monopod vs. VR

nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod vs. VR

Hi,
1)
I have a tripod and i can push the shutter button and go make a tea while the shot is being taken.
But how long you can go with a monopod? For static shots, is VR already in the same territorry?
I guess you cant swing a second long exposure with them...?
Trying to understand...

2)
Can someone explain to me pls...what is an Arca Swiss ball head? The one i have, a Manfrotto ball head on my Manfrotto 190 CX, is it an Arca Swiss type? Whats the big fuss about it?
Sorry about this basic question...i am not a tripod shooter, always shot handheld...now that i am getting a 300/4, should as well buy a mono..

I will be buying a Manfrotto one because thats what is available here...unless there is something horrribly wrong with Manfrotto monopods, thats what i will buy. I guess i can buy an arca swiss ?? head for it as well...

Any suggestion on models? Thank you.
Nde

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod vs. VR

well, for #1 anyway...for starters, with a monopod definitely don't press the shutter and go make a cup of tea ...I bought one and rarely use it for when I have VR available, it's that good..single digit ss = no problem...I'm addicted to VR...I've been wanting a 300 F4 as well but holding out until they add VR, hoping it's not a D400 scenario anyway

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:54 AM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod vs. VR

1) A monopod will work with VR to give you another stop or so of usable shutter speed (e.g. 1/15 instead of 1/30-1/60) and helps you comfortably hold a large lens for long periods waiting for the precise moment to shoot. That's why they are popular for sports events with large telephotos.

2) Arca Swiss is a brand of high-end ball heads with a highly regarded quick release plate system that has been adopted by other top manufacturers (Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Markins, etc.) and is far stronger and more reliable than the proprietary plates used by Bogen/Manfrotto, Giottos and others. You can mix and match camera/lens plates and clamps from any Arca Swiss-compatible system. I've used both Arca-style plates/clamps and Bogen, and the Arca is far superior (but tends to be very expensive)

That said, a high-end ball head is not generally recommended for a monopod. A simpler tilt head is more common. Here's a highly regarded monopod head from Kirk that includes an Arca-style clamp: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Monopod-Heads.html. If you don't already have an investment in Arca plates, though, a simple Bogen head would be far cheaper (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html)

3) There's nothing wrong with Manfrotto monopods and they're very popular. If you want to save some weight and get even better support you could also look at carbon fiber monopods from Induro at a similar price (e.g. I have the CM24)

I hope that clears up some confusion. The bottom line is that an Arca Swiss or equivalent ballhead would be a very expensive and unnecessary choice for a monopod, and you may only benefit from using a monopod with a 300/f4 if you plan to stand around waiting for shot as in sports. It's a specialized tool.

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod vs. VR

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi,
1)
I have a tripod and i can push the shutter button and go make a tea while the shot is being taken.
But how long you can go with a monopod? For static shots, is VR already in the same territorry?
I guess you cant swing a second long exposure with them...?
Trying to understand...

I use a monopod a lot for two reasons. First to support really heavy lenses and second as a walking stick when hiking. On the positive side a monopod gives you a little more stability than VR and allows your a steady platform for careful composition. On the negative side a monopod restricts mobility especially with lighter lenses (like your 300-4). Don't be fooled by the VR claims. VR is great but has its drawbacks and limits. Turn it off at any shutter speed over the length of the lens (1/300th with a 300). At high shutter speeds it can actually make things worse. At lower shutter speeds it is nice but not as perfect as having a platform for support.

nandadevieast wrote:
2)
Can someone explain to me pls...what is an Arca Swiss ball head? The one i have, a Manfrotto ball head on my Manfrotto 190 CX, is it an Arca Swiss type? Whats the big fuss about it?
Sorry about this basic question...i am not a tripod shooter, always shot handheld...now that i am getting a 300/4, should as well buy a mono..

I think the big deal is not the Arca Swiss head but the clamping system which is much better and much more standard than the Manfrotto system. The Arca system is expensive but lets you have access to a lot of accessories such as "L Brackets" etc which are not available or at least nowhere near as good in any other system. Many manufacturers such as Kirk and Really Right Stuff make Arca compatible accessories and heads. In the end, if you are going to be serious about photography, support systems (tripods/monopods and their accessories) are too important to skimp on. If you buy cheap stuff you will end up buying better stuff and you will have wasted money. The Arca type systems are worth it. Start with good stuff and you will not have to buy again.

nandadevieast wrote:
I will be buying a Manfrotto one because thats what is available here...unless there is something horrribly wrong with Manfrotto monopods, thats what i will buy. I guess i can buy an arca swiss ?? head for it as well...

I have never understood why you would need a head on a monopod but I always get into arguments when I say this. I have an L bracket on some of my cameras and Arca style feet on some of my big lenses so I sometimes put an Arca style clam on top of my monopod but never a tilting head. Monopods are pretty tilt-able on their own. Try the pod without a head to start with and then if you disagree buy a simple head. I use a monopod mostly for motorsports with big lenses. 99% of the time I just screw the lens foot to the top of the pod. With anything under a 400 2.8 or a 500 f4 I generally don't use a pod because it is too restrictive. A 300 f4 is light and easy to hand hold.

nandadevieast wrote:
Any suggestion on models? Thank you.
Nde

Manfrotto monopods are just fine. The 680b is a great place to start.

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:20 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod vs. VR

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi,
Nde

Nde
Stop worrying about the lack of VR and continue to shoot handheld. Keep your ss above 1/fl. Bare = 1/300, TC 1.4 = 1/420, TC 1.7 = 1/500. For BIF you will need faster ss, I’m usually around 1/1250. You’re going to love this lens plus the tc 1.7
Mitch

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod vs. VR

MitchSC wrote:
Keep your ss above 1/fl. Bare = 1/300, TC 1.4 = 1/420, TC 1.7 = 1/500.

For use with a high-resolution camera, double those figures if you want critically sharp results...

A monopod is good for supporting a heavy lens so your arms don't get tired. It doesn't help a great deal for getting sharper images - you need a stable tripod for that.

You’re going to love this lens plus the tc 1.7

+1

The AF-S 300mm f4 performs exceptionally well with the TC-17E II.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod vs. VR

molson wrote:
For use with a high-resolution camera, double those figures if you want critically sharp results...

+1
Experiment. A lot will depend on your technique.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monopod vs. VR

Kell wrote:
I'm addicted to VR...I've been wanting a 300 F4 as well but holding out until they add VR, hoping it's not a D400 scenario anyway

They may do like the 80-400 and the D7100. Update it following the D400 and add $1000 to the price.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.