Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Well, no doubt that settle it, the Otus wins hands down. So you do get something for the extra $3500 you spend ...

So, in such situations, with a need for critical sharpness wide open on an f/1.4 lens, the Otus is the beast for you ... I still wonder how it matches up to the new Nikon 58mm

Dec 31, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Almass
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Jorge> Thank you for the re-testing.

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Andre Labonte wrote:
So, in such situations, with a need for critical sharpness wide open on an f/1.4 lens, the Otus is the beast for you ... I still wonder how it matches up to the new Nikon 58mm

I just read the tech review on the 58 1.4 over on dpreview. If you go by what they say, it is pretty much equal to to 50 1.4 G in sharpness. Better bokeh and better ca control. Having said that I would say the Otus will just embarrass the 58

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:13 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Andre Labonte wrote:
Well, no doubt that settle it, the Otus wins hands down. So you do get something for the extra $3500 you spend ...

For a reasonable amount you can get excellent lenses. Every little improvement from that will cost an arm and a leg. I noticed it with binoculars and now with lenses.

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I just read the tech review on the 58 1.4 over on dpreview. If you go by what they say, it is pretty much equal to to 50 1.4 G in sharpness. Better bokeh and better ca control. Having said that I would say the Otus will just embarrass the 58

If that is true, I would have to agree ... sad, for the price, the 58mm should be a bunch sharper in addition to the CA control and better bokeh over the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 ... I still want to see a side by side test though

Fortunately for me, my lowly 50 f/1.8D works just fine for my needs ... but I have to say I got super lucky with my copy ... as mine is tack sharp at f/2 and competes with my 300 f/2.8 ... have I mentioned I will never part with that lens.

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Nima M
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Thanks for the tests, Jorge

Dec 31, 2013 at 06:30 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

I think there is a point of diminishing returns (depends on the user of course) for lenses beyond a certain performance level... the cost increases geometrically for incremental improvement in IQ.

I believe the new Nikkor 58 is what Nikon says... built in the spirit of the Noct. It is not about sharpness but about a beautiful rendering. The DPR reviewers mention that in their review. Otus is trying to compete with Leica and the price reflects that.

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:08 PM
static808
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Frode wrote:
Bad sample than.

in my experience with the 50/1.4g, there are no good samples. the 50/1.8g is far and away the better af-s lens.

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

@Andre,

Here is a quote from the DP review of the 58. It is in the section, compared to the AFS 50 1.4 G

The big question facing potential buyers of the 58mm f/1.4G is how it compares to the much-cheaper 50mm f/1.4G, which on the face of it has a very similar specification, but is much smaller and cheaper. This decision isn't helped by the fact that, if you compare the studio test data of the lenses side-by-side, the 50mm appears to be ahead in some respects - most notably edge sharpness.

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:29 PM
azenis
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

I have had pretty much all rare 50-ish fast lens out there (Noct, Noctiluxes in all 3 different apertures, new Nikon 58mm 1.4, Zeiss 55mm 1.2, Canon 50 1.0L, Tokyo Kogaku 58mm 1.4 limited edition, Konica Hexanon 50mm/60mm F1.2... etc) with an Otus on pre-order. I thought I'd chime in my 0.02 after a quick testing of Otus today (they were delivering the first 2 they got, one of the owner was nice enough to let me try it).

IMO, nothing comes to be in the same league for resolution power to the Otus. It offers a wide-open sharpness beyond anything I've seen in my experience with standard lenses. I don't think any consumer standard lens currently in production (except maybe the Leica 50APO, but I never had/tested it, can't comment, or some crazy expensive cinema lenses) can produce image equally sharp or anywhere close to Otus. Which is why I'm buying one.

Having said that, I think Otus is not perfect. Images from it lacked unique character, specially in the bokeh rendition. (at least from the 30-ish test shots I got)

Don't get me wrong, the bokeh Otus produces is buttery smooth. But if I were to make a comparo wide open prints from Otus, Sigma 35mm, Nikon 24-70mm, and a Noct, I can immediately tell the print from Noct due to the optical deficiency/problem Noct posseses with the production technology back then. The same goes to many other *legendary* lenses out there.

Otus simply showed us what can be done when there is no compromise (the price) given the modern lens making technology. Unfortunately, that also took away its uniqueness. The Otus is uniquely sharp, but not much else.

To certain extend, I'm glad Nikon kept some uniqueness in the new 58mm and not pursue the absolute optical performance. (although I thought they could do better than this, give me a F1.2 for the love of god)

This is the $0.02 from a 50-ish lens gearhead.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

We have different experiences, then!

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:05 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Frode wrote:
We have different experiences, then!

Elaborate please.

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:53 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Just wanted to share a new quick link to images taken with the Zeiss Otus. Simply go to www.zeissotus.com and it will take you to a growing library of Otus images. Just a few pictures now so please feel free to contribute your Otus shots.

Jan 02, 2014 at 06:36 PM
Nima M
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Otus vs Nikon Follow up from previous thread.

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Just wanted to share a new quick link to images taken with the Zeiss Otus. Simply go to www.zeissotus.com and it will take you to a growing library of Otus images. Just a few pictures now so please feel free to contribute your Otus shots.

Thanks a lot for your contributions, Jorge

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.