New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Local highly used 5D3

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Local highly used 5D3

After my recent falling out with an A7 (soooooo slow) I was just wasting time browsing some of the regional listings (no city in Texas is too far from the others) and I stumbled upon a 5D3 that has been pretty thoroughly used. I was hoping to pick up a smaller camera this year but since the A7 isn't going to cut it I just figured I would look into upgrading the 5D2 to a 3 for a much smaller price than I had seen before.

The owner says it is still for sale, sent a screen shot of a shutter count of ~107,000. The bottom edge appears to have suffered from some form of camera-dermatitis but he claims that this is a common flaw with the 5D3, is this true? Also, how scared of a 1 year old camera putting down 100,000 shutter clicks should I be? How much does a 5D3 shutter cost - I am thinking about $500? Taking that into account with my CPS membership, it could be feasible for this to be a decent deal even if the shutter ate it tomorrow. Alternatively, I could just hold off and wait while used 5D3 prices continue to fall. I am not entirely displeased with the heinous AF in the 5D2 at the moment but have started reaching for the 1D3 when I just want to walk around town for its better AF.

Or I could just not get anything because my ZE 21/2.8 is in the shop for a loose front assembly *facepalm*.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Local highly used 5D3

43,000 shots left on expected life of shutter. If the price is right, you may come out ahead. Call CPS for a price.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Local highly used 5D3

Wobble wrote:
43,000 shots left on expected life of shutter. If the price is right, you may come out ahead. Call CPS for a price.

Sorry, forgot to link to the entire subject matter of the post:

http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/4227236246.html

$1950 for the body, 2 canon batteries, 3 off brand batteries, and an off brand grip with a non-functional knob.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Local highly used 5D3

The shutter duration is just a estimation. sometimes they go early, sometimes they just never go.

There is a local wedding photograph who had 2 - 5d ii's. each had almost 300,000 shutter clicks and was still going strong.

if it was 1800 or less, i'd prob buy it just for the heck of it. once you get over that $2000 range you are getting close to a refurb via the loyalty program.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Ironimage

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Local highly used 5D3

I have had my 5d3 14 months now and at last check I'm up to 196,000 accuations (not including the extensive video use) without issue. The shutter rating of 150k is just a rating, it's not set in stone. I've run 7d's up to twice their 150k rating and not had an issue, but even if I did, replacing a worn out shutter is just a cost of doing business and means I'm working. When I spoke to cps about shutters last, they indicated $300-400 with my gold membership.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Local highly used 5D3

If your a CPS Gold member...shutter should range about $275...

Get the 5DMKIII...well worth it over the 5DMKII...even if there is some "visual" marring.

Note: just viewed the camera in question.....that damage is due to owner miss use
If you want to live with it....ok...but I'd rather find a better looking one...or wait for a refurb one

Key point as mentioned by big country.....and just how bad the visual damage is....getting a
refurb...is the best way to go...now with 1 year warranties.

Just got one for a friend...and can't tell from new...and I really like mine....everything from motorsports, to wildlife...to macro!!! sweet setup

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:19 AM
ccho
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Local highly used 5D3

kezeka wrote:
The bottom edge appears to have suffered from some form of camera-dermatitis but he claims that this is a common flaw with the 5D3, is this true?

No, I don't think it is -- maybe if you force a poorly-fitting plate/grip on it, or slide it around on rocks a lot

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:19 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Local highly used 5D3

I would offer a lower amount and see if they bite. Otherwise look into refurb/CLP.

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:17 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Local highly used 5D3

New shutter on a MKIV last week with CPS Gold, $357.

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Local highly used 5D3

Regarding the "life of the shutter," keep in mind (what may be obvious) that the shutter doesn't die at that number of actuations. That is likely a number at which some relatively small percentage of shutters have a certain likelihood of failure. You probably won't have a problem then... but you might have a problem earlier! ;-)

Dan

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:51 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Local highly used 5D3

It sounds like this happened to a batch of the 5D3s where the paint was just poorly applied by Canon. Regardless, some bodywork damage doesn't bother me so long as the price is right. Sounds like $1800 might be the way to go since I can meet the gentleman and get a good idea of how the general operation of the camera is currently. $1950 is pretty close to the refurb loyalty price of $2000+tax though.

Edited on Dec 30, 2013 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:44 PM
mmsean
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Local highly used 5D3

I wouldn't buy it for that price but I might shoot them an offer.

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:45 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Local highly used 5D3

mmsean wrote:
I wouldn't buy it for that price but I might shoot them an offer.

What do you think it is worth?

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:51 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Local highly used 5D3

kezeka wrote:
After my recent falling out with an A7 (soooooo slow) I was just wasting time browsing some of the regional listings (no city in Texas is too far from the others) and I stumbled upon a 5D3 that has been pretty thoroughly used. I was hoping to pick up a smaller camera this year but since the A7 isn't going to cut it I just figured I would look into upgrading the 5D2 to a 3 for a much smaller price than I had seen before.

The owner says it is still for sale, sent a screen shot of a shutter
...Show more

Just looked at the craiglist listing….this body has been used ALOT. Remember the shutter count does NOT say anything about hours of potential video use. Consider a refurb as you will get a cosmetic 9+ body and warranty. Or offer much less than $1950 ask price. Good thing is seller is upfront about being "main camera" and "shutter has seen a lot of use". If this body is actually experiencing a flaw of paint rub off, it is not common and is more likely due to a lot of usage

Dec 30, 2013 at 03:02 PM
ryleung

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Local highly used 5D3

The 150k shutter life is a figure, and the shutter might well die before or after that. But given that it is the official figure, we all need some metric to measure and gauge things with. So essentially, I think it is fair and reasonable to treat the 5D3 in question as having ~1/3 of its life left.

As such, I'd offer at most 1/3 of today's market price. New 5D3 bodies retail for ~$2800 - $2900 + tax, and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Gently used copies with no such bottom edge ugliness can be had in the $2500 - $2600 + S&H + PayPal fees with no warranty. So in light of all those numbers and considerations, I'd at most offer $2700 ÷ 3 = $900 for this particular camera.

If I were buying, I would simply paste all of the above reasoning into an email and send it off to the seller. I'd think the above reasoning is all sound and logical, so you aren't maliciously lowballing him at all.

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:01 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Local highly used 5D3

ryleung wrote:
The 150k shutter life is a figure, and the shutter might well die before or after that. But given that it is the official figure, we all need some metric to measure and gauge things with. So essentially, I think it is fair and reasonable to treat the 5D3 in question as having ~1/3 of its life left.

As such, I'd offer at most 1/3 of today's market price. New 5D3 bodies retail for ~$2800 - $2900 + tax, and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Gently used copies with no such bottom edge ugliness can be had in the
...Show more

Shutters aren't the be all and end all of a camera's functionality. They are ~$375 to replace with CPS gold and so that is the value to take off from the normal used price. Personally I think the body wear and tear is a better indicator of the condition of this camera and is the reason I am not super enthused about it as of right now.

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Local highly used 5D3

New 5D3 bodies retail for ~$2800 - $2900 + tax, and it comes with a 1 year warranty............snip
-------------
Refurbs come with one year warranty also.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Local highly used 5D3

where are you getting the $2000 price for a refurb? they are around $2800 - 15% + your local sales tax.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Ironimage

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Local highly used 5D3

ryleung wrote:

As such, I'd offer at most 1/3 of today's market price. New 5D3 bodies retail for ~$2800 - $2900 + tax, and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Gently used copies with no such bottom edge ugliness can be had in the
...Show more

I'm not sure on what planet you would be able to buy (not just offer) a 5d3 that functions at all for $900. Depreciation on most things, cameras included, is non-linear.

Dec 31, 2013 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.