New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Selling my own prints

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling my own prints

Currently, I only sell clients digital copies of the photos I take. Mostly head shot and portraits stuff.

I'm considering buying an Epson 3880 and selling clients prints that I do myself. I know there are a lot of pro togs who do this, but I'm curious about pricing and making it cost effective. I know these things will print up to 17X22 and that they just SUCK down ink. What kind of prices do you have to charge to make this profitable? 8X10, 5X7, 4X6, etc... How often are you having to refill ink and how expensive is that.

Thanks for the advice.

B

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:16 PM
katzung1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling my own prints

Hi B:
Check out the recent exchange on the [email protected]. They covered ink costs, use of non-Epson inks, etc. IIRC, the 3880 ink set costs a lot to replace, but is much cheaper per print because the cartridges are large. And the printer comes with a full set to start with.
Bert

Dec 29, 2013 at 07:01 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling my own prints

You will not make any money with small prints. I wouldn't even consider printing less than 8.5 x 11.

BTW, the printer will do 17" x 95 cm (approx 37.4") with the driver limitations, and longer with a RIP. There aren't many papers availalbe in 17" x 25", but it is ideal for 16" x 24" prints with a 1/2" border.

Brian A

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:04 PM
blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling my own prints

What is a RIP?

Thanks
B

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:15 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling my own prints

Question: How often does the printer need to be used to keep the heads from clogging. Say you go away for 10 days to 2 weeks on an assignment. Will the mozzles need to be cleaned??

I've always used (long ago Mizell [sic]), Millers, MPIX PRO, Bay, so printing myself is a new adventure.

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:29 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling my own prints

blutch wrote:
What is a RIP?
B

Raster Image Processor. It is software that replaces the driver:

http://www.colorbytesoftware.com/
http://www.printfab.net/
http://mirage.dinax.de/
http://www.caldera.com/product/visual/

In some markets the 3880 is bundled with Mirage.

Brian A

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:43 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling my own prints

lukeb wrote:
Question: How often does the printer need to be used to keep the heads from clogging. Say you go away for 10 days to 2 weeks on an assignment. Will the mozzles need to be cleaned??

The 3880 is one of the least clog prone pigment ink printers on the market. Two or three weeks shouldn't be a problem, but normally you would be better printing at least a couple of times a week; or at least running a nozzle check print to keep things flowing (office paper and about 5 cents of ink)

Anyhow, an occasional head cleaning isn't a problem.

Brian A

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:47 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling my own prints

hugowolf wrote:
The 3880 is one of the least clog prone pigment ink printers on the market. Two or three weeks shouldn't be a problem, but normally you would be better printing at least a couple of times a week; or at least running a nozzle check print to keep things flowing (office paper and about 5 cents of ink)

Anyhow, an occasional head cleaning isn't a problem.

Brian A

Many thanks!

Happy New Year

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling my own prints

I sell 8 x 12 matted to 12 x 16,..... 12 x 18 matted to 18 x 24..... 16 x 24 matted to 24 x 32. If you use high end fine art papers you can make a fair profit.....but I would go no smaller the 8 x 12 matted to 12 x 16. JMO

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.