Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Ultimate LR Machine

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Ultimate LR Machine

I have two issues with LR speed wise. The first is the speed to import and generate 1:1 previews. I believe that during this process LR only uses a single core and runs it as fast as it can.
My second issue is just general sluggishness when switching from Library to Develop and back again. Any time I hit the "D" key or "G" key it only takes a second or so but it still feels too slow for a modern program. I'm not sure if more cores would help with this at all??

When actually applying editing to the files, like saturation, contrast, exposure, sharpening and NR I have no issues with the responsiveness or speed of LR and I think this is the area where it may use multiple cores.

I had a 6-core D300, 12GB MacPro on order and cancelled after reading that it doesn't speed up LR at all past what the current iMac or RetinaMacBookPro already do.

Maybe I'm wrong with this assumption but most of the benchmarks seem to show that LR is only using a single core and the maximum turbo boost of 3.9GHz.

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:37 PM
15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Ultimate LR Machine

When i tested, LR was definitely using all the cores when generating previews. If you think about it, generating previews, image export and editing an image all involve the same process - rendering the image including your edits - so should really all use the same rendering pipeline.

See here for the testing - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165920

My feeling is that the 6 core Mac Pro should be faster than the iMacs, though not massively so. I certainly don't think it represents great bang for the buck in LR terms. The only testing i have seen so far is with the 12 core variant, and that has a much lower clockspeed.

Jan 08, 2014 at 06:13 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Ultimate LR Machine

Just as a reference here is a good graph of the core numbers from this article which is a good read.

http://www.marco.org/2013/11/26/new-mac-pro-cpus

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:06 PM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.2 #4 · Ultimate LR Machine

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I bet its PS thats using the RAM .

my LR never seems to need more than about 1 gig (going by activity monitor on my mac )

Maybe, but I am using Win 8, not sure if that matters. Even with just LR open I still use 4-5gb, but that may be just with everything else running. Still, I know personally I have benefitted from having 16 as opposed to 8 gb of ram. It is nice to have the headroom to be able to basically do anything I want to without slowing myself down :-)

Jan 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Ultimate LR Machine

Not entirely relevant but may be obliquely interesting. I recently went to an Apple Store and ran some tests on the new Mac Pro:

http://tony-hart.com/blog/essays/2014/01/mac-pro-a-lightroom-perspective/

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Ultimate LR Machine

Interesting read Tony. The nMP continues to amaze me for it's design, but sadly it's so far beyond my budget i would never consider buying one. And until LR becomes OpenCL enabled it will not be a good buy for anyone from an economic perspective.

Just out of interest, in your price-performance evaluation did you include the cost of a screen for the nMP?

Jan 18, 2014 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Ultimate LR Machine

15Bit wrote:
Interesting read Tony. The nMP continues to amaze me for it's design, but sadly it's so far beyond my budget i would never consider buying one. And until LR becomes OpenCL enabled it will not be a good buy for anyone from an economic perspective.

Just out of interest, in your price-performance evaluation did you include the cost of a screen for the nMP?

OpenCL is definitely key. It does however look like that sort of thing is making its way into PS so there is hope for LR. I didn't factor in a screen - a good point, but many Mac Pro buyers will already own a screen. Valid point though!

Jan 18, 2014 at 04:53 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Ultimate LR Machine

Tony,
Superb bit of work! Thank you very much. We seem to be seeing what - in reference to Adobe products - much of what has been shown on other platforms: That processor speed trumps all other factors. Adobe does make use of cores and seems to do some threading, but I doubt anyone is willing to argue that they have aggressively pursued hyper-threading and it's very clear that, at least with Lr, they virtually ignore the GPU.

The cost/benefit analysis is going to be tricky because in addition to the base machine one has to likely add external storage and - at least in my case - I'm doubting my 7-8 year old 30" Cinema display is going to play well with the new gpu. Could be wrong. I think you stated it best when you note that Apple has once again pushed new hardware past current peripheral and software support. They've been doing this since at least the introduction of the Mac itself in 1984. I clearly remember listening to some computer expert in a NPR segment lamenting the fact that Apple had chosen the 3.5 "floppy" format when the industry standard was still 5.25. He announced the impending death of Apple. For those of us with long term connections to Apple that's a monotonous chant that accompanied virtually everything Apple did in those days. Odd that we don't hear it much any more.

15bit and others. Just to add to the confusion, I recently updated my 2010 dual quad Mac Pro to a PCI-e SSD boot and application drive. The change is remarkable. I can say unequivocally that Lr operates faster particularly in the module swapping phase. I use to sit and wait while it decided to move from Library to Develop. Now that switch is near instantaneous. As for whether or not it speeds up specific actions in Lr, that's not as clear. Still studying it. I can also concur Bif in noting that no significant speed difference between Lr 4 and Lr 5 on the same hardware.

Robert

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:47 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Ultimate LR Machine

Glad it was of some use. I am busily uploading the 'Test Mule' folder used in the test and have just written an accompanying procedures document to accompany it if anyone fancies running the exact same tests themselves.

If there is any interest I intend to compile a database of scores based on these tests. They're probably far from perfect (I put them together while in the store!) but hopefully at least there was reasonably scientific fairness in the way the tests were conducted on each machine. I can't recall if I mentioned it in the article, but the export modified files test (which for me is the one I do most - 3600px 90% compression etc) was run 3x on each machine and an average taken of the scores to ensure that I was getting a nominal result.

Will let you know once the 'test mule' has uploaded fully.

Jan 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Ultimate LR Machine

If you're interested in running the exact same tests, using the exact same images, I've now made the 'Test Mule' folder available along with a Procedures document explaining exactly how everything was done. All the details here:

Test Mule - Benchmark Your Machine

If you run the tests, I'd be grateful if you'd drop me a line with the results. It'd be good to get some sort of comparable database going.

Cheers!

Jan 19, 2014 at 04:53 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Ultimate LR Machine

Could i suggest starting up a new thread for the testing, with a title that attracts a few of the geeks here? Quite a few folk have participated in my LR testing threads in the last couple of years, and i suspect some of them would be interested in contributing to a general community benchmarking effort.

I'm just in the middle of running the tests on my i5 with different hardware configurations and will report back when i finish.

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:39 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Ultimate LR Machine

Good idea 15bit. Will do.

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password