New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · YNP Help Please

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · YNP Help Please

I Just accepted a Job at Yellowstone NP for May - October, 2014. Imagine living inside Yellowstone and getting paid for it OK, here is my problem; The longest glass I own is the Canon 200 f1.8.. Would you consider selling this to help finance some "Big Glass" . Your opinions are appreciated. Jim
For reference I shoot all MF Zeiss glass, other than the Canon 200. Help??

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · YNP Help Please

im not sure id let something like a 200/1.8 go unless i really didnt want it any more . its not a lens your going to be able to easily replace (i'll assume you have a good one ).

what i may be inclined to look into would be buying a 'big glass' on some form of low interest credit or delayed payement credit (if you can get this sort of thing now)

just about all the good long glass holds enough value that you can sell the lens when your done and you can pay off the credit . the difference in the purchase/sale price can be considered the cost of hire

of course if you have the funds to cover the lens in the first place then you can avoid the credit charges . the only problem is forcing yourself to sell the lens at the end of your stay

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:50 AM
HansB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · YNP Help Please

Buy something like a 500 f4 for about $6-7000, sell it when you're done for what you paid.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:52 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · YNP Help Please

Buy this one now and sell it when you are done. Will probably not lose a dime at this price.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1261889/0?keyword=500#12016440

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:57 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · YNP Help Please

Tamron is releasing a 150-600mm zoom lens on Jan 17. Price is $1,069, so a very inexpensive way to gather some valuable FL coverage. Not fast glass, but also not priced like fast glass and provides a lot of versatility.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:57 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · YNP Help Please

Sounds like a great way to spend a summer.

The compromise I would be thinking about is size and portability. If you could carry something along the size of a 400f5.6 or 300f4 EVERYWHERE you go, you will get some amazing shots. This vs. carry a 500f4 or similar only when you can dedicate time to photography only. I don't know your program, but there are overnight hikes and things that the big lens just won't be practical. Unless you have a Sherpa of course. I carry my 300f4 + 1.4x + 5d2 or 300 + 7D just about everywhere. Add in a 35-70 + 24 usually as well and we have 7 or 8 lbs of gear.
I live in the tetons every winter, one of the best places on this earth.
Enjoy it !

JP

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Nathan Hobbs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · YNP Help Please

One of my favorite lenses for Yellowstone was the 200 1.8, it will give you a good 30 minutes extra shooting time when the 500 and 600's are getting packed away.

Get a 1.4 extender For her and shoot away at 280mm 2.5 . The 2x works as well but The 200 1.8 does not pair that well with it in my opinion.

If your looking for a bit extra reach during the day when light is good consider adding a 100-400L or maybe the new Tamron 150-600 if the reviews are good.

Do not sell that lens under any circumstances...well if you do contact me, I was forced to sell mine when I had a rough go of unemployment and I am now looking for another good copy to latch onto until death!

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · YNP Help Please

Wow, You guys are amazing. Thank you Ian, Hans, Rebel, Mitesh, JP and Nathan. You have renewed my faith in the quality of the 200 f1.8. You sometimes forget how great it is and how lucky you are to own it. I will take your advice and look into the Tamron 150-600, the Canon 400 f5.6 and a loan to acquire a big lens later. Anybody here want to sell some "Big Glass" on credit, to a retired stranger Again, thank you one and all. Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · YNP Help Please

Hi Jim -- I agree with the advice here. Keep the 200/1.8L.

I'm waiting to see the results and comparison of the Tamron against good copies of the 100-400L. I find that Canon to be an outstanding and versatile lens, especially for what you are doing. Coupled with a 1.4X II, you can do some terrific shooting in daylight hours, then put the Extender on your 200 for dim light shooting, as Nathan said. You'll have 100 to 560mm range with 200/1.8 as your fastest! That pretty good from two lenses plus Extender. And a sweet price.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · YNP Help Please

Others have given great advice already. Canon's 400/5.6 is an extremely sharp telephoto, consistently rated among their top lenses. I had a 400/2.8 IS ver1, and rarely took it out b/c at 11lbs it just was a bear to lug around. The 5.6 is a great alternative, advantage being much lower cost and greater portability, albeit giving up the ability for low light use, and that narrow dof you get with the faster glass.

That new Tamron is interesting too.

Enjoy your time in the park!

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · YNP Help Please

Not only would I get a 1.4X but I personally would consider adding the 2X III for even extra reach. Some don't like the 2X but I find it to be an easy piece to bring along rather than lugging another heavy lens around for hours on end.

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · YNP Help Please

I lived in Bozeman, MT for 5 years and taught photography there as well. I've lead summer photo tours to YNP on and off for the last 15 years. Your lens choice really depends on what you want to shoot. If you're after birds, bears and wolves, the longer lenses (400mm, 500mm, 600mm etc.) will help a lot. Large mammals like Elk, Bison, Moose, Big Horns, Pronghorn and Deer can be photographed with something in the 200mm range in most cases.

The most popular and versatile lens is the 100~400mm and it does a great job and if your lucky (right place, right time) it'll work for bears and wolves. I use a 300mm f/2.8 and combine it with the TC's for maximum versatility. But when I look at lens usage in Lightroom, my most used lens is the 70~200mm f/2.8 L IS ll. I use it not only for wildlife,but for a lot of the scenery as well. I also use it to stitch panoramics together. My second most used lens in the park is the Canon 10~22mm for all the scenery.

Enjoy your summer and I'm sure you'll have some great photos and memories.

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:48 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · YNP Help Please

Thank you Jim, Ross, doc, & Jeff. This might sound ridiculous but my wife has a Canon 400 f5.6 that I totally forgot until she ask "why don't you use it?" So it looks like I will have the 200mm with 1.4X (possibly a 2X also). and the 400 f5.6. I will also be looking into the Tamron 150-600 for my wife (if it will AF on a 7D). Thank you one and all. Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 05:39 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · YNP Help Please

oldrattler wrote:
I Just accepted a Job at Yellowstone NP for May - October, 2014. Imagine living inside Yellowstone and getting paid for it OK, here is my problem; The longest glass I own is the Canon 200 f1.8.. Would you consider selling this to help finance some "Big Glass" . Your opinions are appreciated. Jim
For reference I shoot all MF Zeiss glass, other than the Canon 200. Help??

Tough question. You can either look at that as a lens that is too valuable to sell or a lens that can be converted to cash to get you a number of lenses that might serve you better overall.

I don't know what else you have or what you think you need - nor the current value of the 200mm f1.8. Do you want plan old single FL prime telephotos? Or will the flexibility of zooms suit you better? I'd rather have the 70-200mm f/2.8 (or even the f/4) for the sorts of subject you might have to work with. A 100-400 could also be very useful.

Dan

Dec 29, 2013 at 05:53 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · YNP Help Please

gdanmitchell wrote:
Tough question. You can either look at that as a lens that is too valuable to sell or a lens that can be converted to cash to get you a number of lenses that might serve you better overall.

I don't know what else you have or what you think you need - nor the current value of the 200mm f1.8. Do you want plan old single FL prime telephotos? Or will the flexibility of zooms suit you better? I'd rather have the 70-200mm f/2.8 (or even the f/4) for the sorts of subject you might have to work with.
...Show more

Dan; This will be my fifth trip to Yellowstone and I never know what to expect. I am certain I have landscape covered with my Zeiss lens, but not sure on wildlife. On previous trips I have rented the 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and the 600 f4. In every case there were times I could have used more length, and times 200mm was plenty. If you were to spend 6 months inside Yellowstone what lens would you want? Jim.

Dec 29, 2013 at 07:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · YNP Help Please

I'd get a 500/4L IS.

The 200/1.8L takes the 2x III fairly well, but has noticeable ghosting on high contrast borders (e.g. B on W) with the 2x II.

Sounds like you'll have a super summer. I'll be spending some time in Utah and I might take a run up to Bozeman MT to visit some friends. Maybe I'll have a chance to stop by for a visit at YNP.

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:07 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · YNP Help Please

how about a 1.4 TC and a 7D for reach along with the 200 f1.8 this would give you appx a 450mm f 2.5

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:06 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · YNP Help Please

jcolwell wrote:
I'd get a 500/4L IS.

The 200/1.8L takes the 2x III fairly well, but has noticeable ghosting on high contrast borders (e.g. B on W) with the 2x II.

Sounds like you'll have a super summer. I'll be spending some time in Utah and I might take a run up to Bozeman MT to visit some friends. Maybe I'll have a chance to stop by for a visit at YNP.

Jim; I am actually praying for a 500 f4 but it does not appear I will have the money. I have even taken a job at the local TV studio to photograph sports. But, I doubt I will come up with enough money to buy a "Big glass". I would love to meetup with any FM'ers that find themselves in Yellowstone. Thanks for the advice. Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:31 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · YNP Help Please

digitalbug30d wrote:
how about a 1.4 TC and a 7D for reach along with the 200 f1.8 this would give you appx a 450mm f 2.5

I will check that setup out on the 7D. The problem is the 7D belongs to my wife. She said if she gets her hands on the 200 I am not getting it back Thanks, Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · YNP Help Please

I'd take exactly what I already have: 17-40, 24-70 or 24-105, 70-200, 100-400. I'd be a happy camper. And photographer. ;-)

Dan

oldrattler wrote:
Dan; This will be my fifth trip to Yellowstone and I never know what to expect. I am certain I have landscape covered with my Zeiss lens, but not sure on wildlife. On previous trips I have rented the 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and the 600 f4. In every case there were times I could have used more length, and times 200mm was plenty. If you were to spend 6 months inside Yellowstone what lens would you want? Jim.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.