Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

morpheus2891
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

I'm looking for any firsthand experience comparing these two A to E- mount adapters on one of the Sony A7r cameras. In particular I'm interested 1) how big of a difference is there in AF speed between the two and 2) has anyone seen any IQ degradation from the mirror in the LAEA4 on the A7r? I've searched and haven't been able to find any threads with actual experience (not rehashing specs) so my apologies if this has already been discussed (link?).

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:30 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

1. Big. Think DSLR to EOS M with the original firmware, or native vs 4/3rds lenses on any m43 body other than the E-M1 (my DT 16-50/2.8 SSM on the NEX-7 with LA-EA1 performed almost identically to my ZD 14-54 II on the E-M5 with MMF-2). The LA-EA1/3 is slow as a dog with SAM lenses and merely quite slow with SSM lenses. It's really an MF adapter with AF assist.

2. Not on the A7r, but it's well documented on A99/A77 as well as with the LA-EA2 (which is the same device, just with an APS-C mirror) on NEX bodies. 1/2 stop light loss, some ghosting in certain high-key situations and a very slight AA effect (which nobody noticed until comparing A99 to A7 shots with the same lens).

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

I tried the A7R + LA-EA4 + 35/1.4 yesterday at the camera store. I was dismayed at the trouble it had finding focus on low contrast subjects with typical indoor lighting. often it would attempt to focus in the wrong direction and then just give up.

I would just rely on MF with focus peaking, but I hope I was just doing it wrong.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

Thanks for the replies! So basically it's a choice between faster AF ( albeit with limitations) + somewhat compromised IQ or Slow AF (MF in critical situations) but no IQ troubles? Too bad. If the EA4 just acted as a light AA I could be ok with that but ghosting is a no go and I forgot about the light loss. Guess that makes that easy for me. Hope the SSM lens that I'll be using can approach the speed of the FE 55 with the EA3. If it does I'll be happy If anyone else has first hand experience with either adapter on either the A7 or A7r please share it here. Just remember to please list the lens/adapter/camera combinations.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
gurtch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

I bought the EA 3, and returned it for the EA4. My A mount Zeiss 16-35, and Zeiss 24-70 just barely auto focused, really poor and hunting. My legacy Minolta A mount lenses, for example, my wonderful Minolta 20mm f2.8 did not auto focus at all. I was told older "screw drive" auto focus lenses will not auto focus at all. On the other hand the EA4 is wonderful. ALL my lenses auto focus nicely, including third party A mount lenses, for example, my Tamron 90mm Macro and Sigma 50mm Macro. So, some like the EA4, and some do not. Life Saver for me with 9 Sony, Zeiss, and Minolta lenses, ALL of which work perfectly. I shoot seascapes/landscapes, so half stop light loss means nothing to me.
Best regards
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com
Dave in NJ

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

Thanks for the input Dave. I just picked up the 70-300G as a light travel tele. It's F5.6 so loosing another half stop for dusk wildlife shots isn't something that I'd want to do. Its an SSM like your Zeiss lenses so now I'm left wondering, if the EA3 really barely AFs then is it worth trading AF for a half stop of light and some IQ loss. Wish I could see some samples of the effect the EA4 mirror has on IQ to help me decide. Perhaps someone will do the comparison sometime soon?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Mark K
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

I got my LA EA4 for some time. It is a good one...making all my alpha mount lenses work but I am still looking for LA EA3 which IMHO offers better image quality

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony LAEA3 vs 4 experience?

I didn't even know the EA3 auto focused, lol. It is however a well made and compact platform for nimble fingered, focus-enabled photographers. Cannot be just YHO Mark, as it lacks the SLT light and performance thief of the EA4.

morph, DxO are good at this I believe - their metrics indicate the a7/a7r are a little better than the SLT's a99 in every respect, this echoes my experience, but the raw power of the a7r swamps all other considerations, not surprisingly.

How you shoot will impact your IQ heavily - the SLT takes more at mid to higher ISO levels, but Sony gave all these cameras an excellent extended ISO 50 output. ISO is closer to reality too in the a7/r.

You save some complexity, robustness, bulk and 50 grams with the EA3, as well as $200. Interesting trade-off.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-versus-Sony-A7R-versus-Sony-SLT-Alpha-99___916_917_831

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:03 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.