Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

How often do you really grid and gel?

leethecam
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How often do you really grid and gel?

Grid studio style lights frequently - mainly for hair or backgrounds.

Usually use black wrap for speedlights if needing to control spill.

Always gel to match ambient light - usually full or 1.5 CTO (Rarely do I find indoors light at 3200K and if in doubt I prefer backgrounds to be a little cooler to separate skin tones)

Don't use a gel holder on speedlights. Instead mine are cut slightly oversize for the head (to allow a little cooling,) with an extra flap which folds and inserts where the pull out diffuser / reflector comes from.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How often do you really grid and gel?

Lol Am I the only one that just gaffer tapes my gel to my speedlight? In a pinch, I just lick it and stick it on.

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:28 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I grid and gel pretty regularly. I think not at least having some CTO gels in your bag is dangerous. I'd say I use a grid more than any modifier on speedlights. Also, looking forward to MagMod.

Dec 31, 2013 at 08:28 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How often do you really grid and gel?

Never gelled, personally love the warm interior looking ~~~

Plan to grid a bit after receiving the new magmod~~~

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:52 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How often do you really grid and gel?

JakAHearts wrote:
Am I the only one that just gaffer tapes my gel to my speedlight?
In a pinch, I just lick it and stick it on.

Another gaffer taper here. '

Never heard of the lick trick. Resourceful.

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:41 AM
Greggbhill
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How often do you really grid and gel?

D. Diggler wrote:
Another gaffer taper here. '

Never heard of the lick trick. Resourceful.

+1

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:01 AM
curryphoto
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I always Gel to match indoor lights. Usually just use rubber bands to hold the folded CTO's on the flash. The plastic clips on my AB's work great too....

Jan 03, 2014 at 10:10 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How often do you really grid and gel?

A lot. Speedlights almost always get a grid unless it's a pure bounce. Almost always gelled, too.

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:22 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I do want to figure out a way to more efficiently gel my soft box for the einstein. That's something I have yet to figure out how to make it hold. I have big sheets for our beauty dishes, but the octo box continues to taunt me.

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:23 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How often do you really grid and gel?

DannyBostwick wrote:
I do want to figure out a way to more efficiently gel my soft box for the einstein. That's something I have yet to figure out how to make it hold. I have big sheets for our beauty dishes, but the octo box continues to taunt me.

If Im not using the modeling light, I just pock 4 holes in a large square sheet of gel and then stick the einstein fingers though there. Then, the speedright just slides on like normal. I slit the gel then on each side for heat dispersion. Seems to work just fine but I dont shoot near full power or rapidly either so YMMV.

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How often do you really grid and gel?

JakAHearts wrote:
If Im not using the modeling light, I just pock 4 holes in a large square sheet of gel and then stick the einstein fingers though there. Then, the speedright just slides on like normal. I slit the gel then on each side for heat dispersion. Seems to work just fine but I dont shoot near full power or rapidly either so YMMV.

See, I was told I couldn't do that because it would mess up the flash bulb or something. But since your doing it, I will try it. I do shoot full power sometimes though. Oh well, a $30 flash bulb is worth the experiment.

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:42 PM
joshua grasso
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I use gel almost every day that I don't wear a hat. Keeps hair in place.

I'd actually use gels more often if I had magmod. I just keep a few strips of gaffer tape on my lens hoods for quick access.

Jan 03, 2014 at 04:30 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I almost always use a gel to match ambient light. No reason not to IMO, particularly for tungsten.
--I bought a sheet of each Roscoe supplies Tungsten 1/2, tungsten 1/4 and tungsten Full. I cut them into strips and used velcro tape so I can quick put them on and off. The only problem is mistakenly put the stiff velcro prickly side on the flash heads, so that when I am putting them in my pelican case, they velcro themselves to the soft divider material.

I almost exclusively grid or snoot only for commercial work.

Jan 03, 2014 at 04:49 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How often do you really grid and gel?

DannyBostwick wrote:
See, I was told I couldn't do that because it would mess up the flash bulb or something. But since your doing it, I will try it. I do shoot full power sometimes though. Oh well, a $30 flash bulb is worth the experiment.

I can see if you completely enclosed the bulb and heated that thing up like no tomorrow but otherwise, what would be the difference? Normally, when Im doine using my strobe, the speedright is only a bit hot but no where near unholdable. Plus, on the einstein, the strobe bulb is protected by the cover anyway.

Jan 03, 2014 at 06:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How often do you really grid and gel?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Speedlights almost always get a grid unless it's a pure bounce.

What grid do you use for on-camera flash?

Jan 04, 2014 at 02:32 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How often do you really grid and gel?

D. Diggler wrote:
What grid do you use for on-camera flash?

Should have been more specific. When I use the the speed lights off camera they get gridded. On camera is usually just a bounce albeit gelled.

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I gel all the time...I bet I have a gel on about 50% of the time. I use a grid at least once or twice per wedding

Jan 04, 2014 at 04:09 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How often do you really grid and gel?

Never gel, sometimes grid.

I own gels but I'll go to a place, gel because the lights are fluorescent lights and here they are different color temp than what I think it is. Or those lovely new high efficiency bulbs, tungsten? Who knows!

If I could get it right, I'd have no problem doing it. More often than not, I end up with some messed up color cast.

Jan 05, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How often do you really grid and gel?

Never gridded once. Generally don't like hard light anyway.

Haven't gelled in over 2 years.

Thanks to CFLs or daylight leaking in, gelling just creates another funky color cast. I then started using my ungelled daylight WB mega-strobes to provide the ambient light, and have had no need for gels since.

These are the reasons why I didn't buy the magmod right away. I'll wait for a bounce card.

Jan 06, 2014 at 05:04 PM
simplelogik

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How often do you really grid and gel?

I'm surprised to see so many people here using gels! I really don't see the point in trying to match the ambient or background light. Unless I'm missing something here ?

Gel NEVER,unless I want special colour effect in the background, but not for balancing background colours.

Grid. Rarely, but should use it more often.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:52 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password