New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

sumtiw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

Hello photographer friends,

I have planned a trip to Peru. Tambopata national wildlife reserve to be specific.
Its a fish collection/ habitat study kinda tour. Peru is a paradise for birders as I've heard. So there are tons of question that no one can answer other than you guys.
Lets get started:

1. LUGGAGE:
I have 2 camera bodies (Rebel XS and a 7D) and a 100-400mm, a 100mm macro, a 18-55(which is my only option and way of going wide), and a flash that I'd want to take on the trip with me. Now, I am willing to take only one carry baggage with me. I do not wanna mess around in the airport for my luggage. Is there any backpack which would allow me to keep these cameras, lenses AND my clothes? Of course this would have to fit in the baggage compartment in the flight. I wont be taking a lot of the clothes. Just one extra jungle pants and 2 t-shirts with some undergarments. Or should I just take my regular backpack and cover all the gears in my t-shirts and pants and take them just like that?
What you guys usually do when you go on trips like these?

2. TRIPOD :
There are a lot of birds, from Macaws to other smaller birds. I have an Induro aluminum tripod with RRS BH-55 ballhead. Do you guys think it'd be better if I'd take this?
If yes, then how can I carry it? If I'd tie it up with my backpack (it'd be visible from outside) would that be a problem on the airports? Have you ever traveled with a visible tripod on your backpack? Or should I rent a monopod from some camera gear renting website?

3. FLASH:
The flashes that I have do not have High Speed Sync option. So I am thinking of renting one which will have this option. I will be walking a lot in the tropical forests where sunlight doesn't penetrate. I think in that case, this would be a good thing to rent. What canon speedlight model do you guys recommend?

4. FLASH BATTERIES:
Would carrying AAA size batteries in cabin baggage be a problem in any way? Do they allow it or not? I am taking American airlines. If this will be a problem, I can simply buy batteries there in Peru.

I am not remembering what all other questions I had. But anyway, If you did a trip somewhere and encountered some problems that you'd like to make me aware of, please do so. Any help/ suggestion in any regard would be much much appreciated

Thanks a lot for reading. Waiting for response from all of you
Sumer.

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:08 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

1. I would take something like the Think Tank Airport International V2.0. Or if you really like the backpack capability, you could go with a Think Tank Airport TakeOff. Both should fit all your gear and perhaps have some extra space for a couple of T-Shirts, etc. In addition, I think you can have another hand bag or smaller backpack for your other personal stuff (assuming you don't want to check in any luggage). In general, I don't think putting camera gear in regular backpacks would be a good idea.

2. Not sure about this, but I doubt it would be a problem having a visible tripod attached to your camera bag. I have a smaller travel tripod (MeFoto Roadtrip CF), and it has its own little bag which I have carried separately with no problem.

3. Just curious... What is the max sync speed on your camera? And, if you expect the ambient to be quite dark, would you still need High Speed Sync?

4. Actually, batteries must be with you in your carry-on and not in your checked luggage:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

Dec 28, 2013 at 03:56 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

cambyses wrote:
1. I would take something like the Think Tank Airport International V2.0. Or if you really like the backpack capability, you could go with a Think Tank Airport TakeOff. Both should fit all your gear and perhaps have some extra space for a couple of T-Shirts, etc. In addition, I think you can have another hand bag or smaller backpack for your other personal stuff (assuming you don't want to check in any luggage). In general, I don't think putting camera gear in regular backpacks would be a good idea.

2. Not sure about this, but I doubt it would
...Show more

1. How about this- I put everything in my normal Lowepro flipside 300 and then put this whole thing in a backpack that I'd rent from REI.
I want stuff in a backpack because I will be walking a LOT in the amazon basin.

2. My tripod is quite big. I might rent Velbon EL Carmagne 540A from borrowlenses.

3. In 7D when I use my Yongnuo flash, I can go upto 1/250.
I mainly want this HSS flash for birds.

4. Thanks a bunch for the link. I am sure I'd be fine now.

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:11 PM
rjtmmt

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

We took a trip to Peru and one week of it was on a reserve near the amazon and close to Peru. My walk around lens was the 100-400. The macro lens would be nice for the poison dart frogs and insects etc, but little else.. We also had some great experiences with local people. One idea that we used was to buy any of the clothes that we did not bring with us. Everything is cheap, and carrying extra weight is not fun. I would look into either soaking your clothes in pyrethrins or get a light weight jacket to keep the bugs off. I never found a need for a tripod.
I am sure that if we were not in a boat, a tripod might have been useful.
Have a great trip

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:40 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going to Peru: Need some help and suggestions

rjtmmt wrote:
We took a trip to Peru and one week of it was on a reserve near the amazon and close to Peru. My walk around lens was the 100-400. The macro lens would be nice for the poison dart frogs and insects etc, but little else.. We also had some great experiences with local people. One idea that we used was to buy any of the clothes that we did not bring with us. Everything is cheap, and carrying extra weight is not fun. I would look into either soaking your clothes in pyrethrins or get a light weight jacket
...Show more

Awesome! Thanks a lot mate.
Yeah I would be doing the same. Taking macro just for the insects and dart frogs. I will also be taking my 100-400 for birds.
I heard that its pretty cheap there. I am thinking of treating my clothes with that insect repelling thing.
Everyone is saying tripod is not required. I think I am going to chuck it.
I will go to REI tomorrow to see if the backpack that they rent is under the size limit of carry baggage or not!

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.