New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · We should at least watch it take place

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · We should at least watch it take place

I've been doing the 400mm search and yesterday ran across this guys ' 1 DAY' auction for not only a 400mm VR model, but a D4 no less. The rub ? He's got zero sales and joined Dec 27th.

Ya, I know, we've all seen it before.. This time it right pissed me off though. He's claiming to be a Canadian from Toronto.

I've never been seen off on eBay before. So if these people go all in for these deals and get rooked, what takes place? Are they just outright buggered? And who in their right mind would hop on this? The people bidding have hundreds of buys & sells to their names... I'm too old to understand this I guess.

THE 400mm 2.8 VR auction

THE D4.

As a post script here... A guy running a 1 day deal would be watching his goods. I sent him a mail asking him for contact info so I could call him and speak, seeing as he has no history and the values.... And to my shock, he's not returned my mail...

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:00 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · We should at least watch it take place

The seller apparently contacts the buyer to do the transaction outside of ebay making it an invalid/unprotected transaction.

People should never fall for these if they do some obvious due diligence & have the slightest fear of being screwed over.

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:04 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · We should at least watch it take place

MikeW wrote:
The seller apparently contacts the buyer to do the transaction outside of ebay making it an invalid/unprotected transaction.

People should never fall for these if they do some obvious due diligence & have the slightest fear of being screwed over.

I know of those Mike.. I didn't see that type of condition on THIS sale anyway. He appears as though it's just a regular old auction. But for zero history and 2 of the most sought after pieces in Nikon's current. This has stinky written all over it.

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:08 PM
james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · We should at least watch it take place

D4 says it only has 640 shutter count.. REALLY!!!! 640 clicks in 60 secs!! I wouldn't touch this auction with a ten foot pole!

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:59 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · We should at least watch it take place

John Skinner wrote:
Ya, I know, we've all seen it before.. This time it right pissed me off though. He's claiming to be a Canadian from Toronto.

Watching the news and seeing the high quality of elected officials you have (Mayor for one) what is your point?

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:01 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · We should at least watch it take place

Normally I don't comment on these... but that must be one truly remarkable D4... comes with pop up flash and takes SD cards

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:14 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · We should at least watch it take place

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Normally I don't comment on these... but that must be one truly remarkable D4... comes with pop up flash and takes SD cards

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon did something like that. They've been so unpredictable lately,

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:19 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · We should at least watch it take place

They closed at $9,8 and change... I want to know the ending on these stories.

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:37 PM
JTMeuret
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · We should at least watch it take place

Of course the photos might be fake in the auction, but it appears based on the "fancy" furniture in the background that this just might be someone with "too much money" and just buys very expensive cameras/lens "just for the fun of it", and then sells it when they get "bored". Although, he/she got bored awfully fast! Either way, it does look and smell like a SCAM!!!!!!!! No doubt.

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · We should at least watch it take place

John Skinner wrote:
I've been doing the 400mm search and yesterday ran across this guys ' 1 DAY' auction for not only a 400mm VR model, but a D4 no less. The rub ? He's got zero sales and joined Dec 27th.

I've never been seen off on eBay before. So if these people go all in for these deals and get rooked, what takes place? Are they just outright buggered? And who in their right mind would hop on
...Show more

This same seller pops up every couple of weeks with a new name, and he has a few sets of the same Nikon gear photos he posts every time, including the D4/400 f2.8 combo. It's a scam, and his ads only last until eBay catches up to him and cancels the listing (which is probably why he now uses one-day listings)

He's just fishing for suckers to contact him outside of eBay... and since there's a sucker born every minute, I'm sure he makes a good income from this scam.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · We should at least watch it take place

RoyC wrote:
Watching the news and seeing the high quality of elected officials you have (Mayor for one) what is your point?

I've heard Rob Ford has people out there trying to track him down.... they've offered to trade him cash and a car for his camera, which reportedly has embarrassing pictures of the mayor on the SD card.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · We should at least watch it take place

This 400VR has serial number of #200971. According to www.photosynthesis.co.nz, this lens was made in either late 2007 or early 2008, making it about 6 years old, not 8 months as the seller claims.

Do your homework folks, be vigilant, protect yourself.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · We should at least watch it take place

Steve Park wrote:
...this lens was made in either late 2007 or early 2008, making it about 6 years old, not 8 months as the seller claims.

True but he would be referring to how long he has owned it and it's (remotely) possible that he bought it 8 months ago new and that is what he received. I agree this auction looks very suspicious. We can watch to see if he gets some feedback ("A++ seller, awesome lens, thanks!").

I was a neophyte eBay user once and the very first thing I sold was a Sigma 50-500 because I didn't know any better (both about lenses and eBay!). The guy who won the auction was suspicious (sending me messages asking questions, etc.) but he left me positive feedback once he had the lens in his hands. He also suggested I might want to think about doing a number of small transactions on eBay before I sell expensive things on it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · We should at least watch it take place

Run, don't walk.. wait, FLY..fly far far away from that auction!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:56 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · We should at least watch it take place

The same scammer is back again, with a new eBay account... suckers are bidding already.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-500mm-AF-S-F-4-Lens-Updated-AF-S-II-SWM-motor-/221347120402?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3389510512&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-D-Series-D4-16-2-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/221347118988?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item338950ff8c&_uhb=1

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:42 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · We should at least watch it take place

And here's the same guy again, with yet a new account name and a third set of gear...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-D-Series-D3s-12-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/181295132175?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a36082e0f&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-AF-S-G-IF-ED-VR-300-mm-F-2-8G-VR-IF-G-ED-Lens-/181295125510?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a36081406&_uhb=1

If you watch eBay regularly, you will see these same three sets of photos listed over and over again, each time with a new user name and zero feedback. The guy has been at this for at least a year now, and yet eBay keeps letting him open a new account every time... he must have a lot of stolen credit card numbers by now.

Jan 04, 2014 at 07:10 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · We should at least watch it take place

He is not shy about showing the serial numbers. I wonder where he is getting his pictures from.

Jan 04, 2014 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.